Winter supplement options

Help Support CattleToday:

Sd1030

Reaction score
Looking at some options for supplementing my cows this winter. Im considering soy hulls, corn gluten and whole cottonseed. The wcs seems like the most bang for the buck but i currently do not have a way to store it unless i store on tarp and cover with another tarp. Will that work? Is a soyhull corn gluten mixture ok or would i be better with just soyhulls? I also have the option of a wcs in pellet form but its pretty pricey. I know pulling analysis of my hay to see exactly what i need would be the best option, but what have yall found that seems to work? The cows do have fall born calves on their sides. Thanks in advance

The wcs is 147/ton, the soyhull pellet 197/ton in bulk or 210/bagged, the corn gluten pellet is the same as the souhull best I remember and the wcs pellet is 270/ton bulk or 310/ton bagged. Most hay round here is sold by the roll instead of the ton and youd be looking at 25-30 a roll (4x5)for mostly fescue hay. Currently im graing stockpiled fescue and ill be feeding hybrid millet and a grazing rye/cover mix hay when i start into that.

Are you sure you need to supplement? Have you tested your hay? Most people will buy supplement all winter but won't spend $25 for a forage test.

No I haven't actually tested my hay. I do know it was somewhat over mature when it was cut due to weather. It just seems to me my cattle aint doing as good on the stockpiled fescue this year and has just got me thinking i should prolly start looking at adding alitte something. Guess I should do a test though.

Sd1030":2y9s6vlj said:
No I haven't actually tested my hay. I do know it was somewhat over mature when it was cut due to weather. It just seems to me my cattle aint doing as good on the stockpiled fescue this year and has just got me thinking i should prolly start looking at adding alitte something. Guess I should do a test though.
We all come up short on testing. But we spend money on Supplement because it's easy. Even buying better hay mightbe a better idea. But the test will tell.

callmefence":378f86g1 said:
I agree wcs is a great supplement. But it can be beat by good winter oat and wheat pasture. You just open the gate , go ahead and set a few bales out and forget about em.
After deer season closes.

Can the wcs be stored on tarps and covered with more tarps or does it need to be in sheds.

Sd1030":1j4m3d4l said:
Can the wcs be stored on tarps and covered with more tarps or does it need to be in sheds.

I store mine in a peanut wagon under a barn. Any method of storage will work as long as you keep it dry. But it also needs to breathe or it will try to mold over time.

Sd1030":1gto2yhn said:

I don't like the sound of that.
I store mine on concrete in enclosed building. My uncle stores on a tarp on the floor of a three sided lean-to. But he keeps it pushed way back against the back wall. A good shed can be built for the cost of a load of wcs

Sd1030":5ssw3juo said:
The wcs is 147/ton, the soyhull pellet 197/ton in bulk or 210/bagged, the corn gluten pellet is the same as the souhull best I remember and the wcs pellet is 270/ton bulk or 310/ton bagged. Most hay round here is sold by the roll instead of the ton and youd be looking at 25-30 a roll (4x5)for mostly fescue hay. Currently im graing stockpiled fescue and ill be feeding hybrid millet and a grazing rye/cover mix hay when i start into that.
If it were me, I'd find a way to be able to store and handle WCS. So much more for your money and a real bargain at that price. Buy the loose seed though and not the pelleted stuff. No telling what might be in that pellet.

callmefence":10y1bjeh said:
I agree wcs is a great supplement. But it can be beat by good winter oat and wheat pasture. You just open the gate , go ahead and set a few bales out and forget about em.
:bs: :bs: :bs:

TexasBred":t18wdukv said:
callmefence":t18wdukv said:

You care to elaborate..... because most of Texas would like to hear it

callmefence":250sg39s said:
TexasBred":250sg39s said:
callmefence":250sg39s said:

You care to elaborate..... because most of Texas would like to hear it
Not just Texas.

Latest posts