Use of TMR in grazing style winter feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We are investigating transitioning to a TMR for our winter feeding needs. However our current herd size and off farm employment do not allow for viable daily feeding. Last year we were rolling hay out every 3 days and feeding mollases and straw. Little to no grain. It worked ok, but not great, and body condition did suffer more then Id like post calving.

The neighbours are a big beef operation and i only need look over the fence to ser how well a good tmr formula does.

I have seen some large chopped hay feeders that a large pile can be left and grazed for weeks or months. With panels that slide and adjust as the pile diminishes.

My question, has anyone effectively utilized a mixed ration in a grazed style system before. I would like to feed once every 3 days ideally.

Its fairly popular where I am at. But we feed every day. Usually using corn, silage, hay & sometimes distillers. Where you wanting to feed 1 days worth of feed every 3 days? Or 3 days worth of feed every 3 days?

TMR works best with dairy. They expect to feed silage a couple times per day, and silage works great in a TMR. They usually have enough cows to make a TMR pay.

Some bigger corn belt beef operations use a TMR and feed no hay. They will mix corn stalks with by products.

How many cows are you feeding, and what is your base roughage?

Some clarifications.
Wanting to feed 3 days worth of feed, every 3 days, IE 2 tractor starts a week givertake.
I used the wrong term. Im not refering to TMR as the machine (feed wagon) but just a mixed ration itself. I have access to a hay grinder, silage and grain so was considering mixing on the ground if need be, but also looking for a cheap fixer up wagon.

We are only feeding 13 head. Not nearly enough to pay for a full wagon or feed setup, but also not worth firing the tractor up daily if we can avoid it. We fed rolled out hay last year but prices are high again this year so am looking for a way to cut feed costs down and there is a lot of waste in that method cause they dont eat it all when fed it takes 2-3 days (timing is ideal).

The neighbors are a large operation and I have seen the benefits of feeding a mixed ration to beef herds. Cow Calf operators and their calves are great, their cow recovery is also amazing before hitting pasture. Mine lose quite a bit of condition during the last part of spring before summer pasture. Theirs are going into pasture looking nearly as good as when they come out.

Pail feeding daily is going to be an option with decreased hay quanity and quality this year to increase nutrients, but with that again its daily regiment. We would ideally like to be able to mix some straw and hay together to feed as feeding them side by side is very innefective as the herd wont touch the straw when hay is available. Considered round feeders and alternating hay and straw but i've been told the up and down of nutrients can have negative impact on performace and ultimate condition.

Some options:

- pay the neighbor to feed them, his place or yours
- buy bale rings, and bucket feed into the ring every third day
- sell cows and buy back stockers in the spring
- stockpile grass and let the cows graze

Personally for only 13 head i would look into high fat tubs & a good bale feeder that reduces waste. If the tubs aren't quite enough energy to keep them in shape then bucket some corn 3-4 times a week. I think you would be happier with that. Tubs cost a lot, but hopefully the hay savings with the feeders offsets that added cost. Plus its a lot more convenient, than using a wagon. The high fat tubs plus some corn would help keep them in shape, the protein you get in the tub probably wouldn't hurt either.

Latest posts