Winter annuals and feed

Help Support CattleToday:

rockroadseminole

Reaction score
We plant a bunch of rye and clover under irrigation in the winter. Stockers typically grow in the ADG of 2# range. As you've seen from my sewer pipe post, I'm feeding a lot more than I used to but have never fed cattle on grazing.
Any benefit to supplementing with 5-10# per day stockers on high quality grazing? If so, how much extra ADG can I shoot for? Or would this allow for higher stocking rates?

I'm having a $0.72 cost of gain with the ones I'm feeding now, as of last time I weighed some. They are on old bahia pasture. I don't know if there will be room for extra growth when the grazing is better. For example, would conversion rate be different?

I would look at it real hard before going that way. As well as looking at the cattle I was putting out and even what I was planting. Rye has it's advantages but so do wheat, triticale, oats and even some of the brassica crops. A wider mix might give you a better season long grazing. It all depends on your goals, I'm cheap and lazy so putting out feed doesn't get me fired up on a couple of levels.

I wouldn't think feeding grain to stocker calves on good grazing would be needed. In fact could be counterproductive. What's that saying....you can't go back to grass...I would save the grain for feeder's or as insurance should my grass play out for whatever reason.

Adding supplement to a stocker gaining 2#/d may get them too fleshy. If you can get 2#/d on grass, save the feed for someone else, or like CMF said, insurance for running out of grass before you want to.

Fence and Va are correct IMO. They will get butterball fat to no ones advantage. I would be happy with your 2 lbs a day with no more added expense except for minerals and whatever it takes to run your irrigation.

Let them enjoy that lush green grazing and keep out a couple of rolls of rough hay so they can get filled up occasionally.

Latest posts