Winter Predictions

Help Support CattleToday:

fellersbarnoneranch

Reaction score
"make a lot of hay--need a lot of hay"

Persimmon pits...

Are there any methods or superstitions you use to predict the upcoming winter?

Over the years I've tried to learn and understand the various signs. As everybody knows, there are all kinds of ways the old-timers could supposedly tell. As much as I hate to admit it, I don't put much stock in them. And it's probable that they didn't either. I suspect the ones that did were the same ones that swore by the almanac.

IMO the wind and clouds are pretty good short term weather predictors. But things like spiders, wasps, winter hair on cattle, etc. are either not that accurate or too hard to judge. It does seem that an early or late killing frost might have some relevance.

Craig-TX

Craig-TX":1wyfd600 said:
IMO the wind and clouds are pretty good short term weather predictors.
Craig-TX

For the short term , I find that aches and pains in the wrist and hands, arms, shoulder, back and legs are pretty good indicators.

Form those who don't know about the persimmons...

you look inside the seed. If it looks like a spoon--you'll be shovelling snow. If it looks like a knife--you'll be cutting ice.

This year in NE Oklahoma we have "spoons"

A lot of the oldtimer's around here figure the winter's off of a coon's fat. The fatter the coon the colder the winter. I just don't know how they figure that they just didn't catch a skinny or fat coon.

JB

I like hearing these things. They are all neet. My mother-in-law lives by all of these. Especially the SIGNS. Never put much faith myself. I like to go by the Boy Scout motto "Be prepaired". Hasn't failed me yet.

Scotty

J Baxter":t1p4cybb said:
A lot of the oldtimer's around here figure the winter's off of a coon's fat. The fatter the coon the colder the winter. I just don't know how they figure that they just didn't catch a skinny or fat coon.

JB

Coons must have gotten fat for the same reason that the acorns were a bumper crop!

Latest posts