Six more weeks of winter.............

Help Support CattleToday:

Used to get a kick out of it.... now.... just a big bunch of BS..... Yeah, he really saw his shadow on a snowy PA morning at daylight....
That's what I think to. I hate winter with a passion, so I try to hold on to any hope of a short winter I can. I looked up the weather there in PA last night and I didn't think there should be any shadow either. I start looking out for Robins and Redwing blackbirds, as well as trees and bushes budding out. Robins are here year round but don't see them out in the open much until warmer sunny days.

Our peak growing season is behind us now, it's been good though, had 200mm for December and 193mm for January, our peak growing months. All from storm rain. All my water storage is basically full and have plenty of grass stockpiled for winter. My block just over the hill about 8 km away where I develop my bulls has only had half of that rainfall so My home place has certainly been in the "sweet spot". At the moment I could carry over 3 times the cows I have, only dreamin though.
I pulled the trigger on a new feeder yesterday for the 10 bull calves I will be developing after weaning early March. They have been around for a while and are very good at metering low rates of grain mixes often during the day to the weaners who will also be on dry winter grass. I am getting too old to be doing the bucket thing so hopefuuly this will be the answer.

Stick with it people, 6 weeks won't take long to go. I do notice every year how your winter starts to wear people down towards the end. I guess the end is in sight but still not there. Thankfully our winters are nowhere as severe.

Ken

Six more weeks of winter for 2022.............

Last edited:
One of our Border Collie Blue Heeler crosses took out a groundhog here back in the late summer in a matter of seconds.
Always wondered if that groundhog in Pennsylvania speaks for the whole country or if it's a regional thing. I read where the one in Georgia didn't see his shadow. We probably somewhere middle ways between the two.

Latest posts