Winter "pink eye"

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I bought a bunch of private treaty calves from a backgrounder. A couple had bad eyes, and I treated two after I got them home. He said they had "pink eye". Does that make sense in a winter dry lot situation?

Could be true. It is spread by flies and close contact, so if they were in a feedlot or corral situation it could be passed on easily. We've had it in the winter before.

oscar p":lkswaubc said:
Vaccinate them for IBR.

I boostered them for BVD/IBR , gave them a one shot pink eye vaccine, and a lot of free choice mineral. I have not had much success the pink eye vaccine - - recently I have learned that there are multiple bacteria types not covered by vaccines, and that nutrition is a big factor.

I've seen pinkeye in the dead of winter, you would'nt think it . Usually the combination vaccines are 7-way and pinkeye paired together, so I would think that the two are more closely related . My vet has a vaccine made up they call it an autogenous vaccine and use Moxerella Bvis with it . Most of the time we've had fairly good luck with the 20/20 vision 7 . From what I here on here whatever causes it must vary a good bit across the country .

Larry

Stocker Steve":3bx2s57a said:
I bought a bunch of private treaty calves from a backgrounder. A couple had bad eyes, and I treated two after I got them home. He said they had "pink eye". Does that make sense in a winter dry lot situation?

Yes, it does. Pinkeye is simply conjuctivitis - it can be caused by a bacterial infection, but it can also be caused by wind blowing dirt and debris into an animals eye, which results in the tissue becoming inflamed, the eyes running, and bacteria growing as a result of contamination from a foreign body. I'm currently fighting random pinkeye in my goats - it is still winter here, no flies, and nothing to suggest it is infectious - just the damned wind whipping dirt and bedding around.

Stocker Steve":2eucv6l1 said:

We bought a hay processor last fall. All our hay is ground before feeding now. It's eliminated most of the waste, but the major downside is cattle rushing in to get the feed and getting dust and chopped hay in their eyes. That causes irritations and infections that are pinkeye, just not the bacterial pinkeye that vaccines prevent.

We were very concerned with recent outbreak of pinkeye in our herd. We consulted VERY closely with 2 different vets and blood tested one cow. With out a doubt this was pinkeye. The consensus was that because of the weather and feeding corn fodder we have a greater occurance. One of the indicators of IBR is nasal discharge.

Latest posts