Will someone please

Help Support CattleToday:

MillIronQH

Reaction score
say something good about chevy Vortec 350s before I light a match under this truck...

Last time it was a busted intake gasket that let water into the crankcase and ruined the engine. Okay less then 100,000 on the new engine and it blows a head gasket and when then temp gauge goes up I shut it down but not before it cracked both heads. Another 1500 from the already non-existant expendable income fund. This is a '98 3/4T truck that is basically our highway truck. We have a 94 3/4T 4X4 Ford with 260,000 that has a 460 in it (no we will not discuss gas milage :lol: ) that hasn't cost us a third of what this Chevy has and has had a lot tougher life. It's my pasture truck.Z

MillIronQH":mycxzhas said:
say something good about chevy Vortec 350s before I light a match under this truck...

It's not a dodge. That's about the best I can say about any chevy

dun

Good buddy of mine is a mechanic - a real honest to goodness grease under the nails, mashed finger mechanic - not a "Technician". He told me that a faulty intake gasket on this model is very common - he replaced mine last year as soon as I noticed it leaking - I was over 150 miles from home and managed to limp home. The head gasket is another story - haven't had any problems there.

It must be faily common. It took my mechanic nearly two weeks to find a rebuuilt set of heads and then they were $550.Z

Wife had a 96 with the Vortech 350, intake gaskets went around 50k. She sold it and bought a Dodge. She started at the bottom and is slowly working her way up to a Ford. :p

cfpinz

I can promise you that when this sucker comes out of the shop I'm getting us another Ford. This *#*&% Chevy is going to have a serious case of Gone.Z

Folks, I'm the warranty adm. at a Chevy dealer. I have a computor program that allows me to see how many repairs (while under warranty) of a certain type that we have made in the past 12 mos. We have hundreds of Chevy trucks on the road and we have replaced one intake gskt and one head gskt in the past year. Maybe they're making it beyond the 36/36 period before going out, but I would think if it were a defect it would happen sooner on at least a few more. I can't locate any tech service bulletins on this problem either. Usually that would be an indicator if a problem persisted.

Hasbeen":1ya7v2ol said:
Folks, I'm the warranty adm. at a Chevy dealer. I have a computor program that allows me to see how many repairs (while under warranty) of a certain type that we have made in the past 12 mos. We have hundreds of Chevy trucks on the road and we have replaced one intake gskt and one head gskt in the past year. Maybe they're making it beyond the 36/36 period before going out, but I would think if it were a defect it would happen sooner on at least a few more. I can't locate any tech service bulletins on this problem either. Usually that would be an indicator if a problem persisted.

Out of the 4 Vortec 350 trucks that I'm familiar with (wife's plus 3 friends) all of them have had intake gaskets before 100k. Keep in mind most of us are too tight to pay $60+ per hour for someone else to do it.

cfpinz

Yep - There's no way I could afford this repair at dealer rates - have to sell a lung or a kidney to pay the bill. I'd say to see how many are being replaced you'd have to contact the folks at Felpro or some other leading gasket maker to see how many they are selling.

Have'nt heard too much about the vortec 350 gaskets, but the 3.4L chevy's are prone to bad gaskets, both head and intake. Not a question of if, but when it'll go.

cfpinz":24sswow4 said:
Hasbeen":24sswow4 said:

Keep in mind most of us are too tight to pay $60+ per hour for someone else to do it.

cfpinz

Perhaps therein lies the problem? :lol: :lol: :lol: In this day and age of computerized pick-ups, home repairs tend to be a thing of the past with most problems. It never ceases to amaze me how some folks have good luck with one make, and others don't - I wouldn't take a Ford as a gift!

Hasbeen":37igdygv said:

I don't trust those warranty programs or the dealers. I asked mine if Ford had any problems with turbo's on the 6 liter and he said oh no I checked our warranty database and it said we have changed one. I knew better. I am on my third one that THEY changed. When I went in to get the second one changed I said don't bother unless you put in the updated modified turbo. They looked at me strange. I gave them the p/n and said make sure I get this one. Parts manager knew about it but nobody else did.

I believe you checked and I believe you viewed the data correctly, I just don't believe the data. :lol:

Wow!! I have a 2000 Silverado 3/4 T with the Vortec 6000 with 125,000. I love my truck. It will pull anything the 1 T Fords and Dodges can.

My fuel pump and AC went out on the same week, at 99,000 miles, but the 5 year extended warrenty was up. The dealership repaired both at employee cost ($1,100) and gave me lifetime parts and labor on them.

The only other major repair I had was at 76,000 miles, the torque converter went out. But, it was under warrenty, so it didn't cost me anything but time.

I've owned Fords and Dodges and this is my first Chevy. I don't have anything bad to say about them, but you can bet I'll be looking at Chevys when this one won't start in about 10 years, maybe longer.

I've been asking about the Duramax, too. Everyone I know has only said good things about them, but I always seem to find a complaint about the diesels on Fords and Dodges.

Dusty Britches":3072d27z said:
Wow!! I have a 2000 Silverado 3/4 T with the Vortec 6000 with 125,000. I love my truck. It will pull anything the 1 T Fords and Dodges can.

My fuel pump and AC went out on the same week, at 99,000 miles, but the 5 year extended warrenty was up. The dealership repaired both at employee cost ($1,100) and gave me lifetime parts and labor on them.

The only other major repair I had was at 76,000 miles, the torque converter went out. But, it was under warrenty, so it didn't cost me anything but time.

I've owned Fords and Dodges and this is my first Chevy. I don't have anything bad to say about them, but you can bet I'll be looking at Chevys when this one won't start in about 10 years, maybe longer.

I've been asking about the Duramax, too. Everyone I know has only said good things about them, but I always seem to find a complaint about the diesels on Fords and Dodges.

I don't share your enthusiasm about Chevy, but I'd love that dealer like a brother!

I've have a 2000 chevy work truck, 1ton, crewcab, 454, with 191,000 miles. Replaced water/feul pump and the front end bushings, shocks,rotors and bearings. Needs new door hinge pins now.

Personal truck is 1998 GMC 1ton 4x4 131,000 miles, replaced everything above plus radiator. T-boned a Ford :p

Dusty Britches":vjiau47y said:

So the fuel pump, ac compressor and the torque converter went out at less than 100k miles, and you're bragging bout how great a truck this is and what a friend the dealer is?

I got a 2000 F-250 which has never seen a dealer and is just getting broke in at 150k miles. Probably been lucky, but all I've even done is changed the oil every 5000 miles or so.

Guess we have a different opinion on reliability.

Latest posts