How will the 'Vette's 5.5-liter V8 effect GM Trucks

Help Support CattleToday:

Years ago GM dropped the 5.7liter mtr-700r4 trans from the stock Camaro into the GMC Sierra truck .....makes total sense this 5.5liter would get dropped into their biggest GM trucks. Hauling power is needed...6 cylinders even with a turbo...doesn't cut it in farming. Trucks aren't (shouldn't be) built to struggle and wear out their motors prematurely, i.e. 6 cylinder.
Chevy started out with inline motors in their trucks, till like the 50's or 60's. A straight 6 has more torque, better engine balance, and few moving parts than a V8. So an inline motor would make more sense in a truck than a smaller V8.
(That's why v8 tractors never gained popularity over straight 6.)

I am/was an engineer that worked for General Motors for 10 years....my opinion they are headed in the wrong direction...so if i were to guess, i'd say it probably won't happen this time, that engine into a truck. They have mandated efficiency (gas mileage) to adhere too...and all eyes are on electric. Which is ok. But it was proven electric vehicles ARE NOT green, they pollute due to the electric charging...electric power plants use oil and natural gas. We've been here in the 1970's...we're repeating what we already know. And that's why, i'm NOT an investor in "Renewable Energy"...it's laughable and the biggest lie ever!!! Renewable energy stocks are like marijuana stocks, not going anywhere fast.

I really took a stance against autonomous unmanned-self-driving vehicles. The promoters of autonomous vehicles are sales people and a few very clueless engineers proud of their work. We don't have the vision, long-range sensors array or programming of the human element to prevent serious accidents. All we have is a dumb vehicle that follows rules and can't see farther then 50 feet. We wouldn't even allow a human driver to have a license and drive a car if they can't see farther than 50 feet with blind spots every 6 inches (ineffective sensing array).

Autonomous Vehicles today would just run over and hit any log, rock or floated railroad truss in the roadway. First time it has to drive on ice, snow up a bridge...it would fail (accident) or encounters someone not paying attention falling into the street the car will run them over....or a car travel at a high rate of speed (police others, with warning sounds-lights) that's probably not going to stop at the intersection...the car would just go because it's their turn. I can write a 50 page white paper on 300 of these failing items autonomous vehicles can't do. It's frustrating...because we're not ready and they're pushing it out the door, sales weenies. Even if they did put these cars on the road...they would need to label the vehicle as such (Driver-less Vehicle).... so people would know their limitations. Then you'd have (smart) people driving in front of them to collect on medical insurance and file a disability claim.

Hey, new calf today, HUGE, maybe 120lbs to 150lbs....it's like it's 2 months old already. Twice as big as normal angus calves. Mommy (first time heifer) is big...hereford-angus cross...couple that to a big tall angus bull....and i swear 11 to 12 month gestation-pregnancy. Any day now sack filled with milk...took almost two more months before she delivered. Alright, just my happiness shining....thanks all.

Chevy started out with inline motors in their trucks, till like the 50's or 60's. A straight 6 has more torque, better engine balance, and few moving parts than a V8. So an inline motor would make more sense in a truck than a smaller V8.
(That's why v8 tractors never gained popularity over straight 6.)
I love in-line engines....but make them 8 cylinders in-line for better wear. Guess they'd be too long. V8's are compact. Longest life engine are in-line...i just want an 8 in-line.

I love in-line engines....but make them 8 cylinders in-line for better wear. Guess they'd be too long. V8's are compact. Longest life engine are in-line...i just want an 8 in-line.
Sorry I missed read you as saying a V8 over an inline 6.
Don't really need 8, just make the 6 larger. Fewer large cylinders wear better, and can operate at lower RPM's.

Years ago GM dropped the 5.7liter mtr-700r4 trans from the stock Camaro into the GMC Sierra truck .....makes total sense this 5.5liter would get dropped into their biggest GM trucks. Hauling power is needed...6 cylinders even with a turbo...doesn't cut it in farming. Trucks aren't (shouldn't be) built to struggle and wear out their motors prematurely, i.e. 6 cylinder.
how an engine feels like it's struggling has nothing to do with its lifespan... you can double the power output of engines pretty easily, they'll feel like they aren't struggling but the internal components are under higher stresses
I don't see who you come to the conclusion that 6 cylinders even with a turbo doesn't cut it in farming when pretty much every semi truck uses a 6 cylinder, as well as most farm tractors

The LT6 Corvette engine in a farm/work/towing truck would be basically useless!!
It aint made for that.
The largest gas GM puts in trucks is 6.6, and because of the popularity of Fords new 7.3 gas.
I would almost bet that GM brings out a bigger gas for trucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
how an engine feels like it's struggling has nothing to do with its lifespan... you can double the power output of engines pretty easily, they'll feel like they aren't struggling but the internal components are under higher stresses
I don't see who you come to the conclusion that 6 cylinders even with a turbo doesn't cut it in farming when pretty much every semi truck uses a 6 cylinder, as well as most farm tractors
Oh, 6 cylinders, even 4 work great for tractors....i haul more than more...i'd like that in-line 8. Disagree with you on 6 cylinder stressing-wear....if i haul with a 6, in a regular truck (not-semi)...I'll damage it more than an 8.

We ran a 52 1.5 ton Chevy with the 292 on this place for 40 years. It felt like it was struggling when empty. It was pathetic with a load of silage on it. That motor would not quit though. It did not make enough power to break anything.

The LT6 Corvette engine in a farm/work/towing truck would be basically useless!!
It aint made for that.
The largest gas GM puts in trucks is 6.6, and because of the popularity of Fords new 7.3 gas.
I would almost bet that GM brings out a bigger gas for trucks.
GM has been putting an 8.1 gas in for a while and before that the 454.

The 8.1 is know to be an extremely reliable, towing machine. The fuel mileage for daily use has been its downfall.

Ford tried the V12 failure to compete with GMs 6.0L. Then Ford did the 6.2. Not sure why gm went to a 6.6 but GM big gas motors have been very reliable and known for towing for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
GM has been putting an 8.1 gas in for a while and before that the 454.

The 8.1 is know to be an extremely reliable, towing machine. The fuel mileage for daily use has been its downfall.

Ford tried the V12 failure to compete with GMs 6.0L. Then Ford did the 6.2. Not sure why gm went to a 6.6 but GM big gas motors have been very reliable and known for towing for a long time.
The GM 8.1 has not been used in 2500,3500,4500,5500 trucks for several years!
Wikipedia sez 2007, I thought it was 2009. But then what do I know!

Here's some info, https://www.dieselhub.com/gas/gm-8.1-vortec-v8.html

Last edited:
The GM 8.1 has not been used in 2500,3500,4500,5500 trucks for several years!
Wikipedia sez 2007, I thought it was 2009. But then what do I know!

Here's some info, https://www.dieselhub.com/gas/gm-8.1-vortec-v8.html
Where has the 7.3 been popular except in advertising? From what I've seen on the comparisons, and even on this board, most question if the additional cost is worth it for the 7.3.

People act like they are going to drop the exact motor out of the vette in to a truck. 😒 That's ridiculous. They use parts or technology from one and apply it to the other. That's nothing new. They have been doing that for a long time. A lot of technology is developed on the racing or sports car side and then used through out the auto industry. Listen to them break down the new diesels. A lot of the principles come from the performance/ race side.

Last edited:
The Duramax killed alotta of the sales of the 8100..if GM hadn't came out with the Dmax when they did ,and were still using the Detroit 6.5 boat anchor ,it would have been different ..they had all but killed their light diesel program..it was their saving grace...

The Duramax killed alotta of the sales of the 8100..if GM hadn't came out with the Dmax when they did ,and were still using the Detroit 6.5 boat anchor ,it would have been different ..they had all but killed their light diesel program..it was their saving grace...
They kind of bridged the gap with the durmax from one side and the 6.6 from the other. Not much room for the 8.1.

Ford has done the same, now. Not sure how the 7.3 and 6.2 fit togther in the same market. You would think one is on their way out.

Oh, 6 cylinders, even 4 work great for tractors....i haul more than more...i'd like that in-line 8. Disagree with you on 6 cylinder stressing-wear....if i haul with a 6, in a regular truck (not-semi)...I'll damage it more than an 8.
it all depends what it was designed for... If you put an engine designed for a car into a truck, yes it might be fine for 500hp in the car, but it has a duty cycle of about 1% at that power level and you're going to be asking for a duty cycle of 50% or more in a truck and it's not going to last, and the number of cylinders has nothing to do with it.. you have to look at things like rod bearing sizes, BMEP, cooling capacity, stroke length, piston skirt lengths, etc because they all play a role in how long the engine will last

Latest posts