Husky pole saw Mr.Trent please help!

Help Support CattleToday:

SmokinM

Reaction score
Got a Husqvarna 326p4 pole saw that will not run when you take the choke off. It just revs til it runs the fuel out of the carb then loads up and dies. Air filter and fuel lines seem good. Changed fuel filter but it didn't seem dirty at all. Starts fairly easy with the choke on. What am I missing? I am no mechanic but neither are the guys at the local repair shop so hoping I can get some help here. Thanks!

Starting fairly easy with the choke on rules out an air leak or at least a big one. It sounds fuel related and not electrical so rule that out. Using the swag method, I would say stiff diaphragms in the carburetor. Also it could be either the impulse from crankcase to the carburetor problem or a bad check valve in the carburetor (carb related). If you had a Mityvac MV8500 to check and see if the carburetor will hold pressure, then that could rule out a lot also. Also check the fuel line to make sure it does not have a small crack inside the tank. With a Mityvac those are easy to check also with pressure. What a repair person would do is put a new carburetor on immediately and rule out a lot welter that is it or not. Might try just a carb kit as the diaphragms could be stiff, being the only problem, or the little screen in the carburetor clogged up. That is what I would do.

These are a must working on small 2 cycle engines

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I do have a vacuum tester so I can give that a shot. A couple additional questions. How hard is a carb kit to put in for an average joe mechanic or am I better off to just replace the carb if thats what I need? Also do they come pre-adjusted? I seem to recall it taking a special tool to do the Husky carbs. Thanks!

Parts diagram. The carburetor is listed as part # Zama 588171156 Some Husqvarna carbs use the same adjustment tool as Poulans as Husqvarna bought Poulan. That is what I would try as not 100% sure that is the problem, but a good chance, especially if it has sat for a while with gas stored in it. Working on this stuff can get expensive. Double check all this as it may have a different carburetor than what is listed.

Last edited:
Well finally got my parts the other week and with the weather had a chance to put it on the workbench (truckbed) today. New fuel lines and filter, carb. and gasket. Had to tweek the high side about a 1/4 turn. Runs like a new one. Thanks for the help Mr. Trent.

Well finally got my parts the other week and with the weather had a chance to put it on the workbench (truckbed) today. New fuel lines and filter, carb. and gasket. Had to tweek the high side about a 1/4 turn. Runs like a new one. Thanks for the help Mr. Trent.
You did well.

Trouble shooting a 'no spark' on a 2009ish MS290. Changed the plug already. No spark.
How do ya check the coil?
Check and make sure the kill switch is not shorting out or just unhook. Gap with a regular thickness business card (between coil and flywheel). Some you can unscrew the plug wire and try another inserted or test. You have done replaced the plug and I am sure you grounded when testing. Make sure the flywheel key is not striped. I have found a couple flywheels the magnets (N or S) have went bad so check those and see if they are working. more than likely it is new coil time if it is none of that is the problem. Always a good ideal to clean also.

Last edited:
Always a good ideal to clean also.
That's how I ended up 'no spark'. It had been several years since I cleaned all the goop out around the coil and under that cover. When I got thru, and put it all back together, it started once, almost instantly died and never got a spark afterwards. Bought a new plug, put it in,.. same problem. Took the new plug out, grounded it against the case and even in a darkened shop, nary an electron. (Tried the old one again as well and no spark.

How many ohms should the primary and secondary coil windings show?

Latest posts