Need a cummins guru! Please.

Help Support CattleToday:

Zigatan

Reaction score
http://www.film-news.co.uk/news/Underground/69340/
So we have a 1999 ram 2500 auto. We bought it not running. It appears to have a new vp44 and a new ECM on the engine. It cranks won't start. Glow plug light flashes and I cannot communicate with ECM and there is power at the aldl connector. Trans computer has p1694 which is a bus fault. Is it possible to have a bad ECM? I replaced the entire engine harness because when I started to remove the plug on the computer power returned to the vp44 with the key on. So I assumed the 50 pin harness was bad and just decided to replace it all. I still have a flashing wait to start light and no power at vp44. Not sure where to go now. The ECM is muy spensive. But if that fixes it I would buy it.

If you suspect the ecm take it off and get the dealer to check it out. Or if you can get a test ecm off another truck try that

www.cumminsforum.com would probably be the best place to ask in the 2nd gen 24V section.. don't know if you've googled the code, usually that'll turn up the solutions to when other people have had that code.

Cycle the key from off to on without cranking the engine 3 times and leave it in the on position the last time. Any codes will be displayed in the odometer or a no bus message will appear after that. I know in my gas truck there is a test you can do with a good scan tool that causes the bus to crash. You lose the whole dash, radio, and overdrive but the engine will still run and the vehicle will still drive. Seems the diesel must be different