Will my new Kubota pull my JD535 hay roller?

Help Support CattleToday:

69zfarmer

Reaction score
I just bought a new M105S 4WD (93 PTO HP)4cylinder and eager to know if it will handle my 535 JD roller.I have been pulling it with my IH986 which is a 6cyl.Please tell me it will!!!

I don't know anything about the Kubota's but the 986's are heavy tractors. Factory PTO horsepower on a 986 is over 100 horse I think. On flat ground I think you may be alright. I"m not familier with that baler though. Did it work the 986 or shove it around? If it did, I'd be concerned you don't have enough tractor to handle the baler...even with loaded tires.

I am still having buyers remorse on the tractor i sure could not buy another roller.Do you think the Kubota engine will get as good GPH on fuel as the same size Perkins.And you are right i should have checked into the size of the tractor before i bought.

69zfarmer":18tu72id said:
I am still having buyers remorse on the tractor i sure could not buy another roller.Do you think the Kubota engine will get as good GPH on fuel as the same size Perkins.And you are right i should have checked into the size of the tractor before i bought.
Well if ya have a decent dealer and very few hours on it he might allow you to return it and go larger. He can still sell as a "new" demo unit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a JD 535 is a 4X5 baler??? If that tractor can't handle the baler, you're baling hay on way too steep of hillsides. Depending on if you got a 4X4, wheel weights and cab on that tractor, it could weigh anywhere from around 8000 lbs to about 12000 lbs. Either of which should be able to hold back the 535 with a full bale inside. ;-)

I've used a JD 5510 and baled with a 535. The tractor is heavy but it handleedd the baler ok. Tried a 635, still handled it but really need more tractor for that one.

dun

According to the Kubota website your tractor weighs at least 7055 pounds (w/o cab, 4wd, or additional weights). The largest John Deere round baler I saw on their website was between 4730 pounds and 6620 pounds, depending on features. The bales of that baler were 2200 to 2400 (silage) pounds. I did notice that the models of Case, JD, etc. that Kubota lists as your model's competitors, all weigh about 1000 to 1500 pounds more.

I don't know much about baling equipment, so I'll let others interpret this data. It just happens to be a subject I am trying to learn more about.

The 535 will make a 5x6 roll. Should be no problem for your Japanese tractor (remember that they're still not taking our beef?). I've seen the 90 series Kubotas max out a 535 in some pretty steep ground. I wouldn't worry about it.

Texan":2gyha9e9 said:
The 535 will make a 5x6 roll. Should be no problem for your Japanese tractor (remember that they're still not taking our beef?). I've seen the 90 series Kubotas max out a 535 in some pretty steep ground. I wouldn't worry about it.
Which American tractor would you prefer he buy?

ollie'":11sentjn said:
Texan":11sentjn said:
Which American tractor would you prefer he buy?

And are you going to make up the difference in price? We also have a Kubota and it does everything we want/need it to do. Dad would have preferred a John Deere, but he could get the Kubota at a very significantly lesser price and still do what he wanted/needed to do. We have yet to have a problem with it. There comes a time when simple economics overrides overblown American-made brand name prices. We are all in this to make a profit. While I'm all for buying American, sometimes it just doesn't fit the budget.

Texan does however have a valid point ..they are not buying your beef..

but in reality are there any compact or midsize tractors still built in the U.S?

frenchie":1dlnqr6t said:
but in reality are there any compact or midsize tractors still built in the U.S?

Fort that matter, are there any tractors of any size still being built in the US? Some may be assembled here but the parts are from somewhere else.

dun

msscamp":l6soafmr said:
There comes a time when simple economics overrides overblown American-made brand name prices. We are all in this to make a profit. While I'm all for buying American, sometimes it just doesn't fit the budget.
And there also comes a time when principle should override your 'simple economics.' At least, it did for me when faced with the Kubota choice. I told three different dealers why I wouldn't buy their tractor and told them to pass it on up the corporate ladder. If more cattlemen would refuse to buy products from a country that won't take our product, maybe we could all have a little more of that 'profit' you talk about?

I ain't tryin to start nothing here but you would be hard pressed to buy any product found in almost every home that the Japs don't have a hand in. Think about it,your computer,tv,radios,cars,small kitchen appliances,micro waves etc etc etc. You get the point. I was the same way once and would only buy AMERICAN,that is impossible anymore!

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":27mra6co said:
I ain't tryin to start nothing here but you would be hard pressed to buy any product found in almost every home that the Japs don't have a hand in. Think about it,your computer,tv,radios,cars,small kitchen appliances,micro waves etc etc etc. You get the point. I was the same way once and would only buy AMERICAN,that is impossible anymore!
Sure, I get the point. But a tractor is a big-ticket item for most of us. A legitimate business expense for many of us. We'll never get all of the American consumers to help us make a statement. But enough cattlemen passing up $40,000 purchases would make an impact.

If you Kubota guys want the Kubota management, employees and stockholders to take your money and buy Australian beef, knock yourselves out. It doesn't appeal to me.

Texan":4393nnk0 said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":4393nnk0 said:
Sure, I get the point. But a tractor is a big-ticket item for most of us. A legitimate business expense for many of us. We'll never get all of the American consumers to help us make a statement. But enough cattlemen passing up $40,000 purchases would make an impact.

If you Kubota guys want the Kubota management, employees and stockholders to take your money and buy Australian beef, knock yourselves out. It doesn't appeal to me.
Texan, I feel Exactly The same as you. Problem here is that most all Tractors, 100 horse and below are made in India, Japan,China, South Korea or elsewhere. To whoose Allegiance can you be sworn to when given these choices?Do you buy used, to protect them from making another "Profit"? This Globalization has really put us between a rock and a hard spot.

Texan":1au711yn said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1au711yn said:

I would feel the same way no matter what brand of tractor I owned.

Texan":35ansfy9 said:
msscamp":35ansfy9 said:
There comes a time when simple economics overrides overblown American-made brand name prices. We are all in this to make a profit. While I'm all for buying American, sometimes it just doesn't fit the budget.
And there also comes a time when principle should override your 'simple economics.'

Is 'principle' going to get the hay put up or make the payment on a higher priced tractor? I don't think so. While I understand what you are saying and agree with it, reality dictates differently.

ok guys its nice to buy american made tractors.but thats getting harder todo.since most all tractors are made overseas.then put togather here.so you buy what you feel you can afford.ive got this friend that would not buy a foreign made tractor.he was going to buy a jd tractor cutter rake an round baler package deal.but just before he signed the pappers.he looked on the engine block an saw made in france.walked in the office said deal was off.an walked out.he went an bought ford equipment.scott

Latest posts