Wild black cherry. Poisonous at what time of year???

Help Support CattleToday:

at all times of the year. the live black cherry is nothing to worry about. cattle can eat all they want. but once a branch or limb or tree breaks and begins to wilt then it becomes toxic. prussic acid.

i found one out in the pasture 3 days ago that had fallen. i suspect the cows had been munching on it. i put it on the truck and threw it over the fence out of reach. hope nobody dies.

As long as you can monitor the tree(s), I'd say leave them. I have quite a few & have not had any issues in 20+ yrs. Having said that, I have cleaned up many a fallen tree or large limbs that I would rather have just left there. I have seen cows eat it in the green & brown stages with no ill effects - it's the wilted stage that is supposedly the worst (has the highest concentration).

i'd vote for leave them too unless they are big enough to harvest and sell. although they do tend to be a little weak limbed when the wind blows.

I guess leaving them is okay as long as they are close so that they can be checked after storms. I don't have time to drive over the whole place after every storm - that was my reason for saying cut.

i probably should worry about them more than i do. they are all over though, and i dont think i could eradicate them if i tried, lol.

We had them in Illinois, and I had cattle for years before I knew they were poisonous. Never lost a cow for an unexplained reason, and I'm sure they've eaten some.

It may be like a lot of other poisonous plants.. they aren't generally a concern unless there's nothing else for the cattle to eat.

TheBullLady":1lwgiael said:
It may be like a lot of other poisonous plants.. they aren't generally a concern unless there's nothing else for the cattle to eat.

Bingo, I think we have a winner!

dun

My understanding has aways been that the leaves are poisonous all of the time, but that they are bitter until they wilt, then the cows will eat them. My cows eat them whenever they get the chance, so I'm out after every storm.

I agree with everyone else,there not dangerous until they wilt off or a branch is broken,maybe the only time I would worry about it.

Latest posts