Spraying at banding

Help Support CattleToday:

tcolvin

Reaction score
Just for my own clarification. calves

Band at 3day to a week- no vaccines - yes-no

Band at 2-5 months- give anti toxin at banding. Yes-no

Do you need to spray anything if banding?
Yes - no

But spray for flies if slitting, I assume you don't spray the slit? Yes-No

Blue kot would not be any advantage to banding. Yes -no

Band at 3day to a week- no vaccines - yes-no

Band at 2-5 months- give anti toxin at banding. Yes-no

Do you need to spray anything if banding?
Yes - no

Blue kot would not be any advantage to banding. Yes -no
Do you have a vet in your area?

There is a lot of variations among producers on these issues.

Our vet has a sheet that that print out with the vaccine protocol for our area. Maybe some one has one in your area or would write down there recommendations for you? It may cost a few bucks but get them on the clock and ask them every thing you need to.

No vaccines on week old. Band at birth is much easier.
After 2 months i always give tetnus vaccine.
Have never sprayed at banding but not saying its right.
If i was going to slit why not go ahead and pull the nuts out. I spray any open wound with antibiotic spray and fly spray in season.
Blue kote not needed unless open wound.
I agree with Brute that a good protocol for your area is best.

I think one thing needs to be made clear. If you give the tetanus vaccine appropriately, first dose then two-three weeks later, the second dose and banding, then there is no need for giving the anti-toxin at all. The anti-toxin is only needed when they actually have contracted tetanus if the vaccine has been given appropriately (I believe in a perfect world that banding should actually occur two-three weeks after the second dose of vaccine for full protection, but the above protocol is sufficient). Am I correct on this @Lucky_P?

Also, listen to Brute and Kenny above. Find a local Vet and develop a relationship.

Edited because of what Ken says below.

Last edited:
I think one thing needs to be made clear. If you give the tetanus vaccine appropriately, first dose then two-three weeks later, the second dose and banding, then there is no need for giving the anti-toxin at all. The anti-toxin is only needed when they actually have contracted tetanus if th vaccine has been given appropriately (I believe in a perfect world that banding should actually occur two-three weeks after the second dose of vaccine for full protection, but the above protocol is sufficient). Am I correct on this @Lucky_P?

Also, listen to Brute and Kenny above. Find a local Vet and develop a relationship.
Antitoxin is needed if you are unsure of what vaccination protocol if any has been carried out. We have all heard sellers saying yes, it has had all its needles. Unless they can be more specific and give you dates and with what I would consider an animal unvaccinated.
Antitoxin has little effect if any on animals that have already contracted tetanus. I have heard of some success treating horses with tetanus by injecting antitoxin into the cerebrospinal fluid at the back of the skull however this was a long time ago and may have just been anecdotal evidence.

Ken

Antitoxin is needed if you are unsure of what vaccination protocol if any has been carried out. We have all heard sellers saying yes, it has had all its needles. Unless they can be more specific and give you dates and with what I would consider an animal unvaccinated.
Antitoxin has little effect if any on animals that have already contracted tetanus. I have heard of some success treating horses with tetanus by injecting antitoxin into the cerebrospinal fluid at the back of the skull however this was a long time ago and may have just been anecdotal evidence.

Ken
Then I stand corrected on the Antitoxain statement. Listen to Ken.

We follow the advice of our vets. 3 different vets from 3 different clinics. We usually only give 8 way with tetanus. My vet says if you don't slit the bag you don't need to give the anti toxin. If you do slit the bag then you need too. We have banded bulls over 1,200 lbs. The cutter bull buyers say they never slit and give 8 way only. Our vets prefer banding.

Band at 3day to a week- no vaccines - yes-no YES

Band at 2-5 months- give anti toxin at banding. Yes-no I DON'T DO THIS, SO DON'T KNOW. I (NEPHEW) CUTS & PULLS NUTS OUT AFTER 2 MONTHS OF AGE.

Do you need to spray anything if banding? NO

DON'T SLIT IF BANDING. Defeats the purpose. If you are going to cut them open - finish the job and take the nuts out.

Blue kot would not be any advantage to banding. Yes -no NO