Covexin 8 at banding.

Help Support CattleToday:

2 doses appears cheap on the surface but its not that easy for every one to totally re-gather cattle, especially young calves, multiple times, in that short of a window. There is a cost associated with all that for a lot of people, also.

The odds of our cows letting us re-catch them, with with young calves, 2 weeks later, is slim to none.

It's a big deal to catch every one of them for me they have to be in the right pasure and they have to not be suspicious. I try to do it twice a year. Last week they were banded dehorned and vaccinated, by November I'll be able to catch them again sell the calves and work mama's. That's all the handling them I want myself.

Serious question for the Vets. @Lucky_P @wbvs58 @Buck Randall.

What is the interplay between the passive immunity of anti-toxin and active immunity from toxoids? For instance, if an anti-toxin is given at banding and later followed up with a dose of toxoid is there any long-term immunity boost? Or, does the passive just finally fade and go away, and the active receives no boost at all?

Serious question for the Vets. @Lucky_P @wbvs58 @Buck Randall.

What is the interplay between the passive immunity of anti-toxin and active immunity from toxoids? For instance, if an anti-toxin is given at banding and later followed up with a dose of toxoid is there any long-term immunity boost? Or, does the passive just finally fade and go away, and the active receives no boost at all?
Not quite sure on the question but my take is the antitoxin does not affect the ability of the toxoid to stimulate the immune system as it is a toxoid and not like a live vaccine that needs to multiply. The antitoxin does just fade away and does not contribute at all to stimulating a response in the immune system.

Ken

Not quite sure on the question but my take is the antitoxin does not affect the ability of the toxoid to stimulate the immune system as it is a toxoid and not like a live vaccine that needs to multiply. The antitoxin does just fade away and does not contribute at all to stimulating a response in the immune system.

Ken
That was precisely my question Ken. Thank you.

I have banded some 7 to 8 weights with a California bander. Gave them a shot of tetanus stuff at time of banding.

I get band on, let it go numb for 120 seconds. Then cut a vertical slice into each side of the sack, from mid sack almost to the bottom. Allowing 1/4" of the scalpel to penetrate and slice the side of each testical. This should facilitate draining, drying up, and prevent anaerobic conditions. They dried up real fast. Only 1 animals acted bothered by it the first week and that was probably my fault. Others went straight back to grazing pretty quickly.

Doing some 5 and 6 weights this weekend. Same method is planned.

Once numb, just mutilate it a little bit. I spray iodine liberally before the band goes on for cleanliness sake.

Last edited:
we use to band after the first shot but like others have said lost a really good one learned an expensive lesson now band after second shot goes in. We use Covexin 8 and band when we give the booster. Which is tomorrow just realized that as I was writing I better get off here and get busy my paperwork better be right or I will end up with a steer that should of been a bull lol, not the end of the world for me but the calf probably wants me to get it right!

Latest posts