Banding 700-900 lbs.

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I sold out in 2019 and haven't been involved in cattle since. Ive banded lots and lots of small calves, cut some larger ones but never banded 700-900 lb bulls. A neighbor wants to do his big bull calves and wants me to help. I told him from what I know a Tetanus shot two weeks before and another at banding is a good idea for these big boys. He has good facilities and a good squeeze chute. What am I forgetting?

I sold out in 2019 and haven't been involved in cattle since. Ive banded lots and lots of small calves, cut some larger ones but never banded 700-900 lb bulls. A neighbor wants to do his big bull calves and wants me to help. I told him from what I know a Tetanus shot two weeks before and another at banding is a good idea for these big boys. He has good facilities and a good squeeze chute. What am I forgetting?
If they haven't seen any other vaccinations it is a good time to do them.

If they've not had a 'blackleg' shot, use a polyvalent Clostridial bacterin-toxoid, containing tetanus toxoid - like Cavalry 9 or Covexin 8; ideally, first dose administered 2-3 weeks before banding, then a 'booster' dose at time of band application.

Don't try just giving a dose at the time of banding and hoping that they have time to respond to the bacterin/toxoid before tetanus toxin is produced in the banded tissue... I've seen some real trainwrecks, where the bacteria won out... folks sure wished they'd waited for that second dose... losing 8 or 10 800-pounders hurts, no matter how cheap they might be.

Other vaccines - like for IBR/BVD/PI3/BRSV, H.somnus, etc. - if you're gonna do them, now would be the time to do it.

Two bands. Just got done banding some 900 to 1000lb bulls that didn't make the cut for the production sale. Two Calicrate bands.
Assuming you personally feed the bulls, could you see a discernable difference in food intake after banding?

I did a handful two years ago. They were around 800 lbs.

I used a California bander with vice grips to pull the band tight. Very simple. I then waited a few minutes for everything to go numb. Once numb, I took the scalpel and made vertical cuts into the sack and testicles. A couple on each side. This allows air in and aids in drying out. Animals couldn't feel a thing.

Also gave a tetanus shot.

That big, I'd just cut them. Faster, and easier on the calf. Banding, you re cutting off the circulation to a body part, and the testicles basically rot off. Easier and less trauma, and less chance on infections, etc. wash the scrotum real quick with anio dine soap, wipe with alcohol, spray it with lidocaine, take a single edge blade, cut the bottom of the scrotum off, pull the gonads through the hole. Then spray them with the blue or yellow spray and hit them with a tetanus shot. It took longer to type this as it does to actually do it if you have 2 people on the ground.

good idea using vise grips to pull the band. I use the same bander for years with no probs. I do have one more bull to band weighs 'bout 700lb. -12 here rite now so waiting til it warms above zero
I got the idea off of one of the farming forums. I've got a tiny pair of vice grips that stay with the bander. Really does let you cinch em down.

That big, I'd just cut them. Faster, and easier on the calf. Banding, you re cutting off the circulation to a body part, and the testicles basically rot off. Easier and less trauma, and less chance on infections, etc. wash the scrotum real quick with anio dine soap, wipe with alcohol, spray it with lidocaine, take a single edge blade, cut the bottom of the scrotum off, pull the gonads through the hole. Then spray them with the blue or yellow spray and hit them with a tetanus shot. It took longer to type this as it does to actually do it if you have 2 people on the ground.
We picked up a few bulls last week and just cut them.

Latest posts