Why the hereford breed is right?

Help Support CattleToday:

JWBrahman":2m1my964 said:
dun":2m1my964 said:
JWBrahman":2m1my964 said:
It is relevant because "Hereford" has a problem with not living up to the hype on this forum. There is a lot of hypothetical conversations on here, very few that have anything to do with reality.

The reality is unless you are several generations into it Hereford is caveat emptor.
All it tells me is that there are some shysters involved with Herefords. Same can be said for all breeds.

Amen, Dun. But you can lose a lot more money trying to breed pure Herefords than running commercial ABC cows with a mediocre black hided bull.
Its sad but true. Not mentioned that there are tons of junk Herefords there.

JWBrahman":1il0ntvx said:
dun":1il0ntvx said:
JWBrahman":1il0ntvx said:
It is relevant because "Hereford" has a problem with not living up to the hype on this forum. There is a lot of hypothetical conversations on here, very few that have anything to do with reality.

The reality is unless you are several generations into it Hereford is caveat emptor.
All it tells me is that there are some shysters involved with Herefords. Same can be said for all breeds.

Amen, Dun. But you can lose a lot more money trying to breed pure Herefords than running commercial ABC cows with a mediocre black hided bull.
Personal choice! And you still need the purebred breeders to provide those bulls for making baldys.

I think we may be talking past each other, Dun. We both like Hereford and I am guessing neither one of us gets invited to eat dinner with the elites.

The story about Rausch is a good cautionary tale that guys like Jersey Mike should have read before he traveled all the way to Star Lake. Rausch has the top EPD genetics in the breed, but you may get screwed if you are not part of the club.

The market dictates the choices available for a lot of us. Hereford gets discounted so it has to do more with less. Most working class guys with cattle as a 2cnd or 3rd job don't have the time and resources to investigate Hereford. They can use Black Angus and have a good idea what they will get without spending a fortune figuring it out.

I'll join your Hereford bashing thread. Why are Herefords good? Keeping your pinkeye medicine rotated out. Seriously, though, you have to understand that even though raising cattle is a great way to MAKE money, its also an even better way of losing money. Sometimes people need to show a loss. With todays prices it can be tough. You breed Hereford, retain heifers, sell discounted steers, show a loss, but when your ready to make money, you breed all of those heifers to a black bull. While some people are raising cattle as a second job to help make ends meet, other people are raising cattle so that they can lose money on paper, while not really going in the hole. Realizing this will make it easier to understand why some people are in the cattle business and why they do things the way they do. In the end it comes down to personal preference, no point in feeding something you hate looking at.

From everything that I'm seeing reported, the "discount" has disappeared on Hereford females in most places. I sold some weaning age females in our local auction sale last year and they were the top of the market. Most Hereford breeders are selling out of females and are saying that they could sell 10X more if they had them.

Herefords.US":3k1tywyd said:
From everything that I'm seeing reported, the "discount" has disappeared on Hereford females in most places. I sold some weaning age females in our local auction sale last year and they were the top of the market. Most Hereford breeders are selling out of females and are saying that they could sell 10X more if they had them.
I think you just nailed it. Top quality cattle bring top dollar regardless of color or breed. I've seen some sell really well but day in and day out what few we see sell n this neck of the woods are pretty trashy to begin with so you expect them to be near the bottom when they sell.

Top quality bred Herefords have beat blacks a quite a few times recently at the sales I have been at but its still kind of random. I saw Hereford and Hereford red angus cross replacement heifers about 10 cents back of the blacks a week and a half ago.

Like cb said though, a uniform set of calves that can sell in a bunch in the sale barn is pretty important. Having 10+ head that match might put 10 to 20 cents a pound on your calves selling price in this market.

JWBrahman":1nkwojzi said:
The story about Rausch is a good cautionary tale that guys like Jersey Mike should have read before he traveled all the way to Star Lake. Rausch has the top EPD genetics in the breed, but you may get screwed if you are not part of the club.

Id like to hear about Rausch and as well as what happened at Star Lake?

TexasBred":2yfa722u said:
Herefords.US":2yfa722u said:
I think you just nailed it. Top quality cattle bring top dollar regardless of color or breed. I've seen some sell really well but day in and day out what few we see sell n this neck of the woods are pretty trashy to begin with so you expect them to be near the bottom when they sell.

Those cattle never come through the barn.
And the ones that do are discounted here cause all that 99% of back to the farm buyers can see
is black or tiger.

Andyva":3nwldkfk said:
I'll join your Hereford bashing thread. Why are Herefords good? Keeping your pinkeye medicine rotated out. Seriously, though, you have to understand that even though raising cattle is a great way to MAKE money, its also an even better way of losing money. Sometimes people need to show a loss. With todays prices it can be tough. You breed Hereford, retain heifers, sell discounted steers, show a loss, but when your ready to make money, you breed all of those heifers to a black bull. While some people are raising cattle as a second job to help make ends meet, other people are raising cattle so that they can lose money on paper, while not really going in the hole. Realizing this will make it easier to understand why some people are in the cattle business and why they do things the way they do. In the end it comes down to personal preference, no point in feeding something you hate looking at.

The pink eye thing is a myth. Also the way you market something has a lot to do with how well you do. LOL really buying a Hereford so you can show a loss.?

Have seen several black bulls tear more fence up in one day than you can fix in a week. Take that for your loss. I guess its like you said what you prefer looking at.

Herefords.US":1cxb5w2j said:

The discount is alive and well in Southwest Missouri for cows and feeders. I can understand the dock on feeders but never understood the dock on cows since you can breed them black or white and have a real good calf.

JHH":thtzh5an said:
Andyva":thtzh5an said:

The pink eye thing is a myth. Also the way you market something has a lot to do with how well you do. LOL really buying a Hereford so you can show a loss.?

Have seen several black bulls tear more fence up in one day than you can fix in a week. Take that for your loss. I guess its like you said what you prefer looking at.

I will agree 100% pinkeye is a fly management problem.
You can just see it on the Herefords earlier than the black ones.
I don't like Angus cows tried them kinda like the little boy that kissed the calf on the butt.
Everyone to their own taste. I would rather try to have kept goats penned.
Tree fall on the fence they would be a jail break all the Bradford and Herefords would be standing in the pasture. Last two I had one morning I went up to the barn there were two Angus cows standing in the woods
said dam neighbors are out again. Looked again at the ear tags and they were mine. :shock:
Found a tree on the fence when I got them back in the pasture and the fence repaired.
Penned them that weekend and hauled them to the barn.

Caustic Burno":2gnm6d6d said:
JHH":2gnm6d6d said:
Andyva":2gnm6d6d said:

I don't like Angus cows tried them kinda like the little boy that kissed the calf on the butt.
Tree fall on the fence they would be a jail break all the Bradford and Herefords would be standing in the pasture. Last two I had one morning I went up to the barn there were two Angus cows standing in the woods
said dam neighbors are out again. Looked again at the ear tags and they were mine. :shock:
Found a tree on the fence when I got them back in the pasture and the fence repaired.
I had many trees fell on the one standard hot wire fence several times and all Black Angus cows are still standing in the pasture without make an attempt to escape. I guess that's how you raise your cattle.

Caustic Burno":31zgscga said:
JHH":31zgscga said:
Andyva":31zgscga said:

I have not had any problems with my black cows getting out(knock on wood), but I have always had a problem with the black calves getting out. I have had 3 black Bulls in the past 12 years and it has happened with the calves of every black bull yearly. I have never had this problem with my Beefmaster and Hereford sired calves. I know growing up the 2 black Angus herds in my community were road warriors that got out annually and destroyed people's gardens, while my uncle's Herefords stayed content behind 3 or 4 strands of rusty barbed wire tacked to half rotten cedars. It has me on the fence about getting another black bull next year for the money aspect or rotating to a Hereford bull for my sanity.

Reminds me of the old not so funny joke. A lawyer had a herd of cattle and decided to check them out via helicopter. As he flew over the cows got all spun up. The angus ran through the fence, the Simmenthals jumped the fence clean like a steeplechase horse and the Herefrords layed down and prolapsed.

Latest posts