Why the hereford breed is right?

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
As you all have seen I have everything from brangus, angus, tigerstripe and herefords with a hereford bull. I really like the herefords but they dont sell as much around here as the blackies. What advantages do I have by breeding herefords besides the fact that I really like them

Using a Hereford bull on your cows gets you some heterosis, if you keep replacement heifers it is one leg of a good maternal british cross. They used to be considered highly fertile and have the ability to rustle their groceries. There is an old joke about turning out a Hereford cow on dark side of the moon that when she comes back around to the bright side she would be nursing a calf.

The only place Hereford's are cheap is at the sale barn. At the bull tests Hereford's sold for the highest. And at the bred heifer sale Hereford's led the way also. Some of the prices paid at the Cattlemen's sale at the fairgrounds was a joke, must of been a lot of buddy buddy crap going on.

Why not put a black bull on them? You can keep raising Herefords and get (mostly) baldy calves. Seems like a win/win?

M.Magis":5gcsuv57 said:
Why not put a black bull on them? You can keep raising Herefords and get (mostly) baldy calves. Seems like a win/win?

:nod: :nod: :nod: And after you get enough baldies in your herd, put a Char, Limo, or Gelbvieh bull on them for maximum hybrid vigor.

Hereford cows bred Angus remain the base for herd replacements. Or Angus cows with Hereford bulls, if you prefer.

BK9954":2ykbtplt said:
As you all have seen I have everything from brangus, angus, tigerstripe and herefords with a hereford bull. I really like the herefords but they dont sell as much around here as the blackies. What advantages do I have by breeding herefords besides the fact that I really like them
:2cents: Although the braford cows are good to have...I think you are wasting potential using a herford bull on them. I'd swap them out for some more brangus or angus in order to get more "blackies". I believe it is easier raising what sells like hotcakes. Fighting the dock means you have to find a way to put on the pounds faster or cheaper for the same $.

In all honesty...you are to small to be worried with raising your own breeding stock....let the love of the Hereford breed live in your bull.

highgrit":1f3s8tkw said:
The only place Hereford's are cheap is at the sale barn. At the bull tests Hereford's sold for the highest. And at the bred heifer sale Hereford's led the way also. Some of the prices paid at the Cattlemen's sale at the fairgrounds was a joke, must of been a lot of buddy buddy crap going on.
Very good point. I never thought about the bred heifer sale.

How big is big enough to raise your own breeding stock?

BK9954":3k3wr8qw said:

Breeding straight Herefords there is no advantage unless you are a seedstock producer
you will take a hit at the barn. By your description when you load the trailer to go to the
barn it looks like a box of crayons that hurts you as well.
Now put a Brangus or Angus bull in the pasture and get ready to be happy.
Those super baldie heifers will draw a premium as replacements and the steer calves will ring the bell as well.
Not a bad selection of cows for the Hereford bull the Brangus and Angus throw premium calves.
The Tiger heifers out of that bull could be a gold mine if you held them to 750 pounds as replacements.
3/4 Hereford 1/4 Brahman would sell hot in this area the steers will get docked at the barn.
Now I like a Hereford cow as I can buy them cheaper and come back with a Black or Char bull both will draw
a premium.
If it were me I would put a black bull on them and load all black and black baldies on the trailer to go to the barn. I would look at holding some baldie heifers out of the Tigers and Brangus for replacements.

BK9954":35ql7dnf said:

Because lawyers have to eat, too.
http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ne-court-of- ... 60574.html

Caustic Burno":2nqiaafw said:
BK9954":2nqiaafw said:

Breeding straight Herefords there is no advantage unless you are a seedstock producer
you will take a hit at the barn. By your description when you load the trailer to go to the
barn it looks like a box of crayons that hurts you as well.
Those super baldie heifers will draw a premium as replacements and the steer calves will ring the bell as well.
Not a bad selection of cows for the Hereford bull the Brangus and Angus throw premium calves.
The Tiger heifers out of that bull could be a gold mine if you held them to 750 pounds as replacements.
3/4 Hereford 1/4 Brahman would sell hot in this area the steers will get docked at the barn.
Now I like a Hereford cow as I can buy them cheaper and come back with a Black or Char bull both will draw
a premium.
If it were me I would put a black bull on them and load all black and black baldies on the trailer to go to the barn. I would look at holding some baldie heifers out of the Tigers and Brangus for replacements.
:nod: :nod: :nod:
What he said, because this site doesn't provide a thumbs up button.

Foolish for a cow calf guy to ever do any backcrossing-- w/ that approach you're leaving a considerable amount of pounds on the table no doubt. With the mixed herd you have going on, a Charolais bull would be on the only option I would consider.

JWBrahman":1yc852is said:
BK9954":1yc852is said:

Because lawyers have to eat, too.
http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ne-court-of- ... 60574.html
How is that, in any way, relevant to the question?

It is relevant because "Hereford" has a problem with not living up to the hype on this forum. There is a lot of hypothetical conversations on here, very few that have anything to do with reality.

The reality is unless you are several generations into it Hereford is caveat emptor.

JWBrahman":9ft7l8rn said:
It is relevant because "Hereford" has a problem with not living up to the hype on this forum. There is a lot of hypothetical conversations on here, very few that have anything to do with reality.

The reality is unless you are several generations into it Hereford is caveat emptor.
All it tells me is that there are some shysters involved with Herefords. Same can be said for all breeds.

Dun the biggest problem with Hereford is the AHA IMO and I was a member for decades.
All they are interested in is collecting fees and following Angus.
Hard to beat the breed they perform in hot and cold.

Caustic Burno":2qz0hez2 said:
Dun the biggest problem with Hereford is the AHA IMO and I was a member for decades.
All they are interested in is collecting fees and following Angus.
Hard to beat the breed they perform in hot and cold.
Never had any real dealings with them. Had some registered Hereford cows but we used them for crossbreeding. Now we only use Hereford bulls on some of our crossbred cows.

I will buy that. Will be looking for a black angus bull next year.

dun":29p7mzpq said:
JWBrahman":29p7mzpq said:

All it tells me is that there are some shysters involved with Herefords. Same can be said for all breeds.

Amen, Dun. But you can lose a lot more money trying to breed pure Herefords than running commercial ABC cows with a mediocre black hided bull.