Why do salt/mineral blocks exist?

Help Support CattleToday:

The university nutritionists (I have to take 'em at their word) tell us that here in KY/TN, where our soils are deficient in Copper, that the red 'trace mineral salt blocks' have so much iron oxide in them as a coloring agent/filler, that they actually make the copper deficiency situation in livestock worse.
So, I tell folks, if you feel you have to have a salt block out, get a white one.

Nesikep":nt5c7uvm said:
Cows (and humans) LIKE to eat FAR more salt than they NEED.. so as a source of salt, a block is fine, I will agree on mineral content though.

If my cows have been out of salt for a while I'll give them a block to lick while they're going nuts about it, then back to loose mineral. I mix my loose mineral about 30/70 with salt.

Then by all means use the salt blocks. No way in he// they can over consume especially if there is any competition at all for access to the block.

Salt blocks - I use the SE containing blocks - are useful if you're feeding mineral tubs and not loose salt containing mineral - as I do. The animals need salt as part of their diet and the tubs I use don't contain salt. I've never proven to myself that loose or tubs are better than another but loose mineral in the weather has always been a money loser for me. In fact - and I will get prepared to be struck down - I've never proven any mineral does anything for me - but I keep putting it out because "I'm supposed to". Salt on the other hand, I have proven they can't live without.

Bout the only "proof" I can give is some of the older cattle folk in my part believe in no minerals, no wormer, etc. bare minimum inputs. My cows get all they need of everything (or at least I thank they do). My cows conditions and calf growth speak for themselves. However, I'm not sure the older cattle folk don't make more money! Lol. I believe the biggest advantage to mineral for a cow is like vitamins to a human. Overall health. Just my 2 cents.

JMJ Farms":2fjiwwxz said:
Bout the only "proof" I can give is some of the older cattle folk in my part believe in no minerals, no wormer, etc. bare minimum inputs. My cows get all they need of everything (or at least I thank they do). My cows conditions and calf growth speak for themselves. However, I'm not sure the older cattle folk don't make more money! Lol. I believe the biggest advantage to mineral for a cow is like vitamins to a human. Overall health. Just my 2 cents.

I hear that. But if they believe in the bare minimum they may also not feed properly or have invested in helpful genetics or culling practices like you have either.

Angus, I can't say you're doing it all wrong because I haven't had cattle where you are. There are times my loose mineral gets wet... and they eat it anyhow. The biggest problem with block salt is if you're missing macrominerals like calcium and phosphorus.. most blocks don't have ANY of that.

JMJ, I hear you about the cost... for my 25 head of cattle, my inputs are about the price of nice steer every year... I think 4% of my gross income is too much to be spending on that, and they'd gladly eat double or triple if I gave it to them (especially tubs!) I usually have 1 tub for the weaned heifers over the winter and one for the 1st time calvers... before our dollar crashed they were $180, I imagine they're going to be more next time I get some. Mineral is about $35/bag, and that adds up pretty quick too

All that said, the most expensive stuff is the stuff you feed that isn't helping your cows.. make sure what you get has what they need. I have less RP and better breedback since I've used the right mineral program. Check the labels every time you buy it.. they love messing with ingredients and keeping the same name as I found out! On the one mineral I was feeding they dropped the Selenium from 125mg/kg to 25 mg/kg... that alone made it nearly worthless to me.

Nesikep":15wr4bhm said:
Angus, I can't say you're doing it all wrong because I haven't had cattle where you are. There are times my loose mineral gets wet... and they eat it anyhow. The biggest problem with block salt is if you're missing macrominerals like calcium and phosphorus.. most blocks don't have ANY of that.

Just to be clear, mine also get kent or crystalyx mineral tubs (depending on time of year) along with the SE salt blocks. I'm just not convinced they bring any value.

I feed the ADM Ampt mineral. It's expensive too, my rep that sells it told me to put loose salt beside it so they can have the salt they want without having to get it through the mineral.
I said I've always heard don't have salt or they won't eat enough mineral, his response was the "other" brands taste so bad they eat it to get the salt.
I don't know about all that but I'm doing good with loose salt and loose mineral in the same feeder. I'm also putting 1 pound of iodine to every 50 pounds of both. That helps out too.
I never buy any kind of tubs, I feel they are a ripoff, could be wrong but I'm sticking to it. Free choice good mineral and salt bolstered with iodine and I'll meet their nutritional needs with grazing, grain, byproducts and hay.
I run front pasture young cattle, trader cows that come in with the grim reaper riding in the trailer with them and stockers.
They all have different needs at different times of the year and I try to do what they need.
And I'll never but out blocks for anything but horses, they get white and trace mineral blocks.
A block for a cow is wasting her time. She needs to be harvesting grass instead of licking a block.

jedstivers":blqlq8bu said:
I feed the ADM Ampt mineral. It's expensive too, my rep that sells it told me to put loose salt beside it so they can have the salt they want without having to get it through the mineral.
I said I've always heard don't have salt or they won't eat enough mineral, his response was the "other" brands taste so bad they eat it to get the salt.
I don't know about all that but I'm doing good with loose salt and loose mineral in the same feeder. I'm also putting 1 pound of iodine to every 50 pounds of both. That helps out too.
I never buy any kind of tubs, I feel they are a ripoff, could be wrong but I'm sticking to it. Free choice good mineral and salt bolstered with iodine and I'll meet their nutritional needs with grazing, grain, byproducts and hay.
I run front pasture young cattle, trader cows that come in with the grim reaper riding in the trailer with them and stockers.
They all have different needs at different times of the year and I try to do what they need.
And I'll never but out blocks for anything but horses, they get white and trace mineral blocks.
A block for a cow is wasting her time. She needs to be harvesting grass instead of licking a block.

I agree Jed. I'm gonna ask a ignorant question, what's the iodine for?

JMJ Farms":1gwvwuf2 said:
jedstivers":1gwvwuf2 said:

I agree Jed. I'm gonna ask a ignorant question, what's the iodine for?
Helps on footrot and pinkeye. Or at least I think it does.
Mineral company's are limited on how much they can put in or at least I thought they were. My rep said they can do a custom blend with a lot more but I have to order 3 tons at a time. Which reapply isn't a big thing but it ties up more money for longer so for now I'll keep adding.
When I get these old traders gone I think I'm going to just my original herd and the replacements and stickers. Then I might start getting a custom blend.
Iodine helps other stuff too, that's why Morton's iodized salt was so important to humans when it came out.

Good to know. Just when I think I'm coming around the learning curve..., I learn something new. Come to think of it, I think I'm still at the beginning of the curve.

JMJ Farms":2lpby9l5 said:
Good to know. Just when I think I'm coming around the learning curve..., I learn something new. Come to think of it, I think I'm still at the beginning of the curve.
Try to learn something everyday till someone is throwing dirt at you. Keeps the mind sharp.
If I could measure my cattle knowlage in miles I think what I know would get about my mail box and what I don't know goes about to the moon.
What I hate the most about cattle knowlage is something that isn't correct but all the old cow guys tell it for being the one and only way. Just because old so and so told them 55 years ago then that is right and everything else is wrong.
Now on the flip side there is a lot of that old stuff that is correct as can be, you just have to sort it all out.

Well one thing I learned fairly early is that I ain't to proud to listen. I may do it my way anyhow but I will listen.

Talking about the "old info" someone on here had a signature that said (I'm gonna try and get this right) "The quickest way to lose money in the cattle business is to do it the way grandpa did it. The quickest way to lose everything in the cattle business is to forget how grandpa did it". One of the truest sayings I've ever heard.

Sorry once again to the OP. I GOT OFF TOPIC AGAIN.

You'll hear tell of the euro guys pour it on cows backs a month or 2 before calving. Claiming it does the calf well, and makes calving easier.

Supa Dexta":17yjg10k said:
You'll hear tell of the euro guys pour it on cows backs a month or 2 before calving. Claiming it does the calf well, and makes calving easier.

It? Where do I get a bottle of this It?

jedstivers":81isfrfg said:
I never buy any kind of tubs, I feel they are a ripoff, could be wrong but I'm sticking to it. Free choice good mineral and salt bolstered with iodine and I'll meet their nutritional needs with grazing, grain, byproducts and hay. A block for a cow is wasting her time. She needs to be harvesting grass instead of licking a block.

All interesting arguments but no proof of anything. Maybe she needs to lick the block? Maybe she needs the salt? Maybe that's why she's at the block? Maybe tubs are nonsense? Maybe loose mineral is nonsense? Maybe all they need is salt? Maybe we're all wrong. Not sure that's a good reason to stick to it though. That's my problem. Why do we all keep sticking to something that we don't have anything but anectdotal evidence is actually true (myself included).

angus9259":17wurq21 said:
jedstivers":17wurq21 said:
I never buy any kind of tubs, I feel they are a ripoff, could be wrong but I'm sticking to it. Free choice good mineral and salt bolstered with iodine and I'll meet their nutritional needs with grazing, grain, byproducts and hay. A block for a cow is wasting her time. She needs to be harvesting grass instead of licking a block.

All interesting arguments but no proof of anything. Maybe she needs to lick the block? Maybe she needs the salt? Maybe that's why she's at the block? Maybe tubs are nonsense? Maybe loose mineral is nonsense? Maybe all they need is salt? Maybe we're all wrong. Not sure that's a good reason to stick to it though. That's my problem. Why do we all keep sticking to something that we don't have anything but anectdotal evidence is actually true (myself included).

A lot of agricultural practices are trial and error. And every operation is different. Got to keep trying till you find what works best for your particular operation.

Mineral is not a guessing game, the guess is what and how much. Soil samples, blood and tissue samples will tell you. Cows need mineral supplementation to stay in good shape.

I will start of by saying all parts of the country have different mineral requirements for cattle.

I am in southeast North Dakota. All we feed the cow herd are the trace mineralized blocks, year around. We have done this for many years.

I was told by a feed rep to just use the white ones and their loose mineral. Tried it, the cows consumed it as they should have. Unfortunately we had more foot rot that summer than in 10 years combined. Coincidence?? Probably, but we put the blocks back out, got rid of the mineral, and never treated another one, haven't since. Don't vaccinate for foot rot either, like the neighbors "Have to".

Now our water sources are spring fed, and have elevated mineral content. Our cows also graze a variety of plants and weeds other cattle don't. Different plants uptake minerals at different rates, so quite possibly our cows are meeting their mineral needs via the forages they eat.

Have we culled our herd to work in this environment? I like to think so. I prefer lower inputs, and cows that work for me.

In some parts of the country, you may need to feed (X) grams of brand (Y) to meet your cowherd's needs.

Find what works for your operation and go forward. Doesn't hurt to experiment, as you may find you are missing something.

My two cents on the subject.

Thanks,

Harley Blegen

Latest posts