Why are charolais bulls out of favor?

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

redangus

Reaction score
I've seen good Charolais bulls sell for $1000 less than angus/red angus bulls of the same caliber at a mixed bull sale. Has anyone else seen this in mid-America?

Understand I am not trying to insult any Charolais breeders, so :stop: please no attacks.

i havent been to any charolais saless but charolais seems to be the best bulls around for sireing amazing calves because all of our neighbours and us use them

redangus":2w8hjapr said:
I've seen good Charolais bulls sell for $1000 less than angus/red angus bulls of the same caliber at a mixed bull sale. Has anyone else seen this in mid-America?

Understand I am not trying to insult any Charolais breeders, so :stop: please no attacks.

I don't know that they were ever "in favor" in my area, though back in the early '80s you did see some around here. Two things come to my mind: calving problems and heifer retention. Too many people used them without regard to the kind of cow they had and had a trainwreck come calving time. Most people around here retain heifers for replacements and Charolais are bigger than might be optimum for this area.

The simple answer to why char bulls lack demand is fear of calving problems. This from past experience. Include me in that group.

Another reason that I don't condone, promote or otherwise wish to promulgate is that they are not black.

hmm we havent had any calving problems yet with charolais bulls but trouble with red angus bulls

I thought the general trend was away from large-structured cattle in favor of compact, boxy breeds like angus; and even then the angus people are trying to go smaller.

It's too bad, I think charolais are great looking cattle.

Go to your local sale barn and watch the calf sale for a couple of hours. The good yellow calves will sell right up there with the blacks and most times you will have more pounds of calf to sell. Most of the buyers I talk to say they can put a good yellow calf on the same order with the blacks.

I believe Chars to be great Bulls for a Terminal Calf. You just have to be sure your Cows have the right stuff to play in the Big Leagues.

BC":gl1bmynf said:
Go to your local sale barn and watch the calf sale for a couple of hours. The good yellow calves will sell right up there with the blacks and most times you will have more pounds of calf to sell. Most of the buyers I talk to say they can put a good yellow calf on the same order with the blacks.

Around here its black and its char crosses that bring the big bucks, although it does seem to be moving toward the middle.
Go to your local sale, now I have never used one but there sure are alot of white crosses maybe a good third at the Bluegrass stockyard.

My brother in law swears by em, says he has had less temperment problems out of charolais then with angus.
Dont know I dont run either just saying what sells here.

MD

Out of favor??????????? The Char bull price has increased every year for several years.

Last year, Alabama ran out of Char bulls to sell. We searched all over the south trying to find bulls for our customers.

The "Black" bug bit some guys a few years ago, but when they realized how many pounds they were losing, they came back strong.

LT Ranch in SD gets way more money for his Chars than his Angus at auction and he has raised some pretty popular Blacks.

I feel a lot of people are gun shy of a Charolais bull due to long memories. I remember back in the 70's when the continentals started showing up. Every Tom, Dick and Harry bought a bull ( pick your breed - Char, Simmie, Limmie, etc) and dumped him out with the cows with no regard to frame size of cows, phenotype of the bull,etc.Those bulls were called "cow killers" for a reason. Throw the infamous Charolais "temperament" into the mix and folks were not thrilled with the results to say the least.

Texas Gal":3c2wxlq1 said:
I remember back in the 70's when the continentals started showing up. Every Tom, Dick and Harry bought a bull ( pick your breed - Char, Simmie, Limmie, etc) and dumped him out with the cows with no regard to frame size of cows, phenotype of the bull,etc.Those bulls were called "cow killers" for a reason.
Charolais were in the States long before the 70's.

redangus":3nzgplet said:

I don't raise or sell charolais but they are definitely still very popular here is Texas as a terminal sire. Those yellow calves grow good and bring good prices. Haven't heard of any calving problems with them in recent years but the heifers are better feeders than replacements. Just not a maternal breed but one that has its place.

yes sir, Chars have been in the states for many years; but in the 70's it seemed like everybody with a cow started jumping on the bigger is always better bandwagon, at least in East Texas where I was raised.

bullpeddler":2yf8otf2 said:
redangus":2yf8otf2 said:

I don't raise or sell charolais but they are definitely still very popular here is Texas as a terminal sire. Those yellow calves grow good and bring good prices. Haven't heard of any calving problems with them in recent years but the heifers are better feeders than replacements. Just not a maternal breed but one that has its place.

Just from observation, Charolais and their crosses, including replacements kept from them, seem to be as popular as anything else around these parts, even Angus :eek: .

The CharX calves are selling well up here, so Char bulls are still fairly popular as terminal sires. However, most of the commercial guys around here try and utilize their own replacement heifers, and the Char breed hasn't moderated the large frames, making their offspring less desirable as breeding stock. In our environment, those FS 7 and FS 8 cows don't make you money.

Rod

redfornow":1p91mbxk said:
BC":1p91mbxk said:

Around here its black and its char crosses that bring the big bucks, although it does seem to be moving toward the middle.
Go to your local sale, now I have never used one but there sure are alot of white crosses maybe a good third at the Bluegrass stockyard.

My brother in law swears by em, says he has had less temperment problems out of charolais then with angus.
Dont know I dont run either just saying what sells here.

MD
From some that doesn't even own a Char what a crock.
Chars have there place but don't get smoke blown up your but by the above post.
A black baldy calf and a solid black are going to ring the bell everytime. It is about consistency as any cattleman would know. Now for pounds that char bull will put it on a set of crossbred calves the only problem is that load looks like the rainbow coalition and they sell for less.
Yes there is a Char bull in one of the pasture's as well as several Herefords and a Brangus.
The Brangus calves bring top dollar the red baldies next due to being consistant and the Chars the least. The Chars bring about the same due to heavier calfs I will give them that.

CB is the fred sanford of cattlemen
Mildly amusing
always combative
and right, in his own mind....

redfornow":kk9c6qbo said:
CB is the fred sanford of cattlemen
Mildly amusing
always combative
and right, in his own mind....

This from the 100 lb birthweight guru. What a joke you are.
Lets see you give bad advice on BW and now you are giving on Char's and you don't even own one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts