whole cottonseed

Help Support CattleToday:

Todd

You made several excellent points. As someone who has personally fed WCS for many years and in several different frequencies, I have never had any problems with it. Also I know many other producers that have fed WCS with no problems for many years. In fact, I don't personally know of any one that has had a problem with it.

Thanks for providing more evidence regarding the successful feeding of WCS. Regardless of the naysayers, It's nice to know there are many others around the world that appreciate the benefits of feeding WCS.

Merry Christmas to all.

Many cattle and sheep operations throughout our area are bringing in huge amounts of WCS, at great expense, to feed hungry stock.
Some, like us, are set up with feeders but others are just dumping it out in big piles for the stock at the watering points. No one I know of has complained of any losses, nor would they expect any. From most other things, yes, but not from WCS. We just trucked another 100 big hungry charolais heifers and calves in from agistment three days ago and let them straight at the WCS, no dramas. As there is heavy rain forecast to start from tomorrow (please God let it happen!!) we have filled all the feeders chock full and crossed our fingers!

Texas PaPaw":rhfwgk5e said:
Todd

You made several excellent points. As someone who has personally fed WCS for many years and in several different frequencies, I have never had any problems with it. Also I know many other producers that have fed WCS with no problems for many years. In fact, I don't personally know of any one that has had a problem with it.

Thanks for providing more evidence regarding the successful feeding of WCS. Regardless of the naysayers, It's nice to know there are many others around the world that appreciate the benefits of feeding WCS.

Merry Christmas to all.

Sir, I never disagreed with feeding WCS. As a matter of fact I too agree that it is probably THE finest product a person can feed when the price is right. I simply disagree with free choice feeding of anything, especially something that contains something that "could" be detrimental to herd health. That's like playing Russian roulette with your cattle.

Tod Dague":p1h20fu8 said:
TexasBred":p1h20fu8 said:
Tod Dague":p1h20fu8 said:
http://www.auburn.edu/~rankidl/cottonseed.html

I personally haven't feed it free choice, I'm to much of a control freak, but my brother has and was pleased with the results.

I've never known too many cows to limit their intake of anything except for limiters man put in the feed. I wouldn't depend on my cows to limit their intake on cottonseed or combination of ALL cotton products due to the chances of gossypol poisoning. Wonder how many the guys that did this article had die on them during their tests or did I overlook that. ;-)
It isn't a long article, if you had difficulty reading it maybe someone can help you. You stated the fat content wouldn't limit the intake, I gave you an article that stated otherwise. Feel free to believe and do what you want.

Being a smart ass will never get you far in life. I read very well thank you. I just disagree with feeding anything free choice. Experience has shown me that given the opportunity cattle with overeat just about anything. I use to feed the dairy cattle as much as 6-7 lbs. per head per day but never more. Cattle are too valuable for ME to feed them to death with anything.

texasbred where is a good place to buy wcs in the fairfield area. I know you are an aggie, thought you might help a poor old teasip. have a safe and Merry Christmas.

Hi Ya Mr. Teasip. Hope all is goin well down south. I haven't bought any seed in a long time and it seems like more and more small gins shut down every year. Williams Gin on Hwy 22 between Hillsboro and Corsicana would have seed but they are a coop so I don't know if you could buy them or not. Might be worth checking into. You too have a Merry Christmas.

Thanks Papa...Lord knows we'll need luck on our side. Strange thing about this year's team. They might win 50-0 or they might get beat 50-0...same opponent, same day...never know which team plans to show up. :cry2:

Merry Xmas to all - we've had 120pts of rain so far this Xmas Day! Hopefully we can park those feeders for a little while!

TexasBred":35dn6mep said:
Thanks Papa...Lord knows we'll need luck on our side. Strange thing about this year's team. They might win 50-0 or they might get beat 50-0...same opponent, same day...never know which team plans to show up. :cry2:
That is an understatement......Used to you just wondered if they were going to play a whole game or just a couple quarters.

Well I waited til friday to go pick up some whole cottonseed. We didn't have our first frost until the week before christmas so the cows had a little green grass to pick. The price had went up drastically to $265/ton. I sure wish I had asked a price before I loaded the gravity wagon.

LaneFarms":gfq1z6z3 said:
Well I waited til friday to go pick up some whole cottonseed. We didn't have our first frost until the week before christmas so the cows had a little green grass to pick. The price had went up drastically to $265/ton. I sure wish I had asked a price before I loaded the gravity wagon.

That is higher than I thought they would be but compared to cubes, tubs, etc. I think you're still getting a whole lot more bang for your buck even at that price. Best wishes and the cattle will thank you. ;-)

just talked to man on craigslist. under farm and garden in abbott texas and he has cottonseed for 190.00 a ton. That is not delivered. I have not ever used it but will try it next week with free choice hay. Not sure of how much I can carry in my 3/4 ton duramax ( due to mass not weight) but will take a trailer with me also.

papavillars":3bogyz1w said:
just talked to man on craigslist. under farm and garden in abbott texas and he has cottonseed for 190.00 a ton. That is not delivered. I have not ever used it but will try it next week with free choice hay. Not sure of how much I can carry in my 3/4 ton duramax ( due to mass not weight) but will take a trailer with me also.
That's a good price, they have fallen some in the past few weeks.

papavillars":2zsn64pu said:

Sounds like a good price to me papa....you can haul more weight than you realize...they're pretty heavy and you can walk them down good and tight..

Not sure if we can buy whole cottonseed around here, but you can buy the cottonseed meal @ $375 a ton. What is better about the whole cottenseed vs the cs meal? Just asking because i have fed a little bit of the cs meal before.

cowsrus":1h7u44xt said:
Not sure if we can buy whole cottonseed around here, but you can buy the cottonseed meal @ $375 a ton. What is better about the whole cottenseed vs the cs meal? Just asking because i have fed a little bit of the cs meal before.
WCS can be feed by itself meal cannot and can cause alot of problems if they get to much, however it is great to make a ration with. OK and KS both grow cotton but I don't know where you are. Here is a good link though. http://agebb.missouri.edu/dairy/byprod/bplist.asp

cowsrus":wncrvofb said:

CSM is usually utilized as the primary protein source when mixed with corn and other grain byproducts. Whole cottonseed on the other hand can be fed "alone". It typically will run in excess of 20% in protin, fat and fiber so you get plenty of protein, energy and a lot of roughage when you feed it. Compared to what you get when you buy 20% cubes it's a much better buy.

LaneFarms":1bwehyim said:
Hey man- I live out in Tampa FL- can you tell me where we could buy the Cottonseed around here? I see you are in Central FL as well.

thx!
Mike Taylor