Feeding Whole Cottonseed

Help Support CattleToday:

Updating prices for 2022-$450/ton for WCS. I am buying 20% cubes (bagged) for $479/ton. Finally getting rain so hoping for a little grazing. With storage as an issue, although the WCS has more protein, fat and fiber, it isn't much cheaper than cubes this year. Small herd, so bulk buying would be nice, but isn't as practical as it is for those who go through feed quickly. Opinions?

Updating prices for 2022-$450/ton for WCS. I am buying 20% cubes (bagged) for $479/ton. Finally getting rain so hoping for a little grazing. With storage as an issue, although the WCS has more protein, fat and fiber, it isn't much cheaper than cubes this year. Small herd, so bulk buying would be nice, but isn't as practical as it is for those who go through feed quickly. Opinions?
That's to much I'd go with cubes just for convenience. Where is that quote from.?
Alot of the cotton is still green

I've heard of feeding it free choice, but don't buy into it. Im confident they will eat all they can hold, at least a Good many will.
I started using it as cow caller this year in place of cubes. We haul it from the gin in a dump trailer. Store in a cheap metal storage building with a concrete floor. Instead of loading bags of cubes when going to check places I load WCS in buckets and molasses tubs.
A couple inches from top and pressed down
5 gallon bucket= 16 pounds
225 size tub about 65 pounds
Better feed than cake and less than half of the cost.
I kinda think salt would stick to it pretty good. That would sure limit intake. I haven't tried it though, maybe you can. I'm all but out maybe a few hundred pounds. If you don't mind.. where are you finding it this time of year and what's it costing.
I was thinking the same, add salt if possible.

I go back and forth. I'm trying to keep around 4 totes in the barn all the time. I like being able to keep it for a good while and not worrying about it. Even cubes or other feeds will dry out or get messed up.

If I'm on a regular feeding schedule it will be wcs for sure. If I'm running from here to there and conditions are good I may just grab cubes for convenience. Thats mainly just to call them up.

I have poured free choice cottonseed to heifers and they will self regulate. I didn't see a benefit to that over feeding a consistent rate daily, or even several times a week. It was just more likely to get ruined sitting there.

Latest posts