whole cottonseed

Help Support CattleToday:

LaneFarms

Reaction score
Anyone who is feeding it as a protein supplement for brood cows, how much and how often are you feeding it. I have a chance to feed some but have never messed with it before.

Whole Cottonseed for Beef Cattle Rations 1
R.O. Myer 2
1. This document is AN134, one of a series of the Animal Science Department, Florida Cooperative Extension Service, Institute of Food and Agricultural
Sciences, University of Florida. Original publication date April 11, 2003. Visit the EDIS Web Site at http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu.
2. R.O.Myer, Professor of Animal Sciences, NFREC Marianna, Florida Cooperative Extension Service, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences,
University of Florida, Gainesville, 32611.
The Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer authorized to provide research, educational
information and other services only to individuals and institutions that function without regard to race, color, sex, age, handicap, or national origin.
For information on obtaining other extension publications, contact your county Cooperative Extension Service office. Florida Cooperative
Extension Service/Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences/University of Florida/Christine Taylor Waddill, Dean.
High availability in the southern USA has
generated much interest in the use of whole
cottonseed as a feed ingredient for beef cattle rations.
Whole cottonseed is high in energy (TDN), protein,
phosphorus, and fiber. The high TDN is mainly due
to the high oil/fat content of the whole cottonseed.
Composition of whole cottonseed is presented in
table 1. Be aware that the nutrient concentrations
given in the table are average values and it is strongly
suggested that the available source of cottonseed be
analyzed.
Pertinent Points on the Feeding of
Whole Cottonseed to Beef Cattle

1. Because of the high oil content of whole
cottonseed, the maximum amount to be fed
should not exceed 0.5% of body weight per day
for mature cows and 0.33% of body weight for
weaned calves. For example, a 600-lb stocker
should not receive more than 2 lbs per day (0.33
x 600 ÷ 100 = 2) and a 1000-lb cow, 5 lbs (0.5 x
1000 ÷ 100 = 5). In mixed rations, whole
cottonseed should not exceed 15% of the total
ration dry matter, including dry matter from hay
and/or pasture. The high fat/oil content of whole
cottonseed could result in diarrhea if fed at high
levels.
2. As with any new feed, cattle may have to be
enticed to eat cottonseed, which can be done by
top dressing it with molasses or other palatable
feed.
3. Cottonseed can be fed without feed processing.
A Few Cautions
1. Cottonseed can combust spontaneously if stored
too wet and stacked high. Moisture level should
not exceed 14% for safe storage.
2. Mold mycotoxins such as aflatoxins can be a
problem, especially if whole cottonseed is stored
too wet.
3. Whole cottonseed contains some free gossypol,
which can be toxic to some livestock species.
However, gossypol toxicity is usually not a
concern with beef cattle except for young calves
under four months of age and for breeding bulls.
Gossypol is known to interfere with male
fertility. Gossypol-induced infertility in bulls
should not be of concern if recommended
feeding levels are not exceeded. However, to err
on the side of caution, do not feed whole
cottonseed to bulls 60 to 90 days before the start
of the breeding season or to young growing bulls
Whole Cottonseed for Beef Cattle Rations 2
to be sold for breeding. For more information,
refer to edis.ifas.ufl.edu/AN130.
4. Cottonseed can overheat if stored improperly.
Heat-damaged cottonseed has reduced feeding
value and palatability.
5. Prolonged wet, humid conditions just before
cotton harvest can result in mold growth and/or
seed sprouting, which reduces the feeding value
of whole cottonseed.
6. A check of seed soundness should be done
before purchase (i.e. cut some seeds open with a
pocket knife). Avoid lots with many
lightweight/hollow seeds.
Further Information
Further information can be obtained from local
county extension service and the animal science
extension websites of North Carolina State University
(www.cals.ncsu.edu/ansci/extension/animal/nutr/
ahnutr.html) and the University of Florida
(edis.ifas.ufl.edu/TOPIC_Beef_Cattle_Nutrition).

LaneFarms":368de4oq said:
Anyone who is feeding it as a protein supplement for brood cows, how much and how often are you feeding it. I have a chance to feed some but have never messed with it before.

In my mind you cannot formulate a feed as good as whole cottonseed. (Vitamins and minerals excepted) High protein, high fat and high fiber. As Cross7 said, cattle who have never seen it or eaten it may have to initially be inticed to eat it by topdressing with something more palatable...c/s meal, dried molasses, cane molasses, etc. but once they get use to it they'll love it. I've fed dairy cattle as much as 6 lbs. per head per day with no adverse effects. Just be sure your cattle also get plenty of long stemmed roughage. WCS fed on a daily basis can and will make bulls temporarily sterile or have a very low sperm count but once pulled off the seed they bounce back from it. The last couple of years WCS have been too expensive for most folks to feed but look to be be quite a bit cheaper this year but don't know if they will still dollar out in your feeding program.

you can feed 5lbs of cottonseed a cow.cottonseed is 40% protine or better.so the cows would get 2lbs of protine.cottonseed is pretty costly.if it was me id feed it every 3 days.

its pretty expensive right now, could be something cheaper to feed, if cost is a problem for you.

GMN

GMN":2pg6xywf said:
its pretty expensive right now, could be something cheaper to feed, if cost is a problem for you.

GMN

Just checked the futures board. WCS, FOB Lubbock are $195.00...that would put them to me delivered at about $240 a ton.....not really a bad price for what your getting...minimum of 22% protein, 20% fat and 20% fiber. Don't know what bulk cubes would cost yet but probably at least that much and not have near the fat and energy..

I have the cottonseed pricedat $210 a ton. I haven't been able to get a price on cubes yet but they where $400 a ton last year for 33% all naturals.

Does anyone know anything about a cotton seed pellet product called Fuzzypellet or something like that? Is anyone feeding it?
LaneFarms":38tjxfgd said:

Pulled from this web site, http://www.cottonseed.com/publications/ ... sguide.asp
It's easer to read if you go there.

Nutrient Composition Of Cottonseed Feed Products on a Dry Matter Basis

ME CSM=mechanical extracted cottonseed meal; ES CSM=expander solvent cottonseed meal; WCS=whole cottonseed;DCS=delinted cottonseed;CSH=cottonseed hulls
Table 2
Major Components
Item ME CSMa ES CSMa WCSa DCSb CSHc
Dry Matter, % 92.3 89.1 91.6 90 89.9
Crude Protein, % 46.1 47.6 22.5 25 5
Acid Detergent Fiber, % 18.1 17.3 38.8 26 67
Neutral Detergent Fiber, % 32.3 24.5 47.2 37 86.9
Crude Fiber, % 11.4 11.2 29.5 17.2 48.6
Ether Extract, % 4.6 2.2 17.8 23.8 1.9
Ash, % 7.2 7.5 3.8 4.5 2.8
Gossypolde-Total 1.09 1.16 0.66 - 0.107
Gossypolde-Free 0.06 0.14 0.68 - 0.049

Table 3
Minerals
Item ME CSMa ES CSMa WCSa DCSb CSHc
Calcium, % 0.21 0.22 0.14 0.12 0.15
Magnesium, % 0.65 0.66 0.35 0.41 0.15
Phosphorus, % 1.14 1.2 0.56 0.54 0.08
Potassium, % 1.68 1.72 1.14 1.18 1.13
Sodium, % 0.0007 0.14 0.0008 0.01 0.0009
Sulfur, % 0.43 0.44 0.2 - 0.05
Copper, mg/kg 10.9 12.5 7 11 3.6
Iron, mg/kg 106 126 50 108 30.1
Manganese, mg/kg 18.7 20.1 15 14 16.8
Molybdenum, mg/kg 2.4 2.5 1.6 - 0.37
Zinc, mg/kg 62.8 63.7 33 36 9.9

* To convert the above information to As Fed basis, multiply nutrient by Dry Matter Value and divide by 100(e.g. ME CSM Crude protein as fed = 46.1 x 92,3 ÷ 100 = 42.55

Table 4
Amino Acids fg
Item ME CSMa ES CSMa
Alinine, % 1.81 1.79
Arginine, % 4.4 4.86
Aspartic Acid, % 4.02 4.27
Cystine, % 0.64 0.69
Glutamic Acid, % 8.47 9.15
Glycine, % 1.83 1.87
Histidine, % 1.45 1.5
Isoleucene, % 1.27 1.29
Leucene 2.55 2.62
Lysine (Total), % 1.57 1.96
Methionine, % 0.7 0.78
Phenylalinine, % 2.23 2.35
Proline, % 1.62 1.63
Serine, % 2.04 2.15
Theronine, % 1.52 1.58
Trytophan, % 0.51 0.53
Tyrosine, % 0.98 1.04
Valine, % 1.8 1.83

When conditions warrant its use, we feed WCS to large numbers of cows, free choice, and have never had any problems. We use both purpose-built mobile feeders and open trailer loads of it parked at the watering points. The cows can eat as much or as little as they want, even if they're in poor condition and hungry. It's a first class feed and very safe.
Cottonseed which has been de-linted is a different thing altogether - hungry cattle can gorge on it and die en masse.

jilleroo said:
When conditions warrant its use, we feed WCS to large numbers of cows, free choice, and have never had any problems. We use both purpose-built mobile feeders and open trailer loads of it parked at the watering points. The cows can eat as much or as little as they want, even if they're in poor condition and hungry. It's a first class feed and very safe.
Cottonseed which has been de-linted is a different thing altogether - hungry cattle can gorge on it and die en masse.[/quote]

Have you actually seen this happen? Feeding either "free choice" is taking a chance simply because WCS does contain gossypol. When feeding delinted WCS you have about twice as many seed pass thru the cow undigested as when you feed fuzzy seed. Both can work well into a ration when fed properly but I wouldn't want to feed that much protein "free choice" to anything.

Yes, Texas Bred, sadly we do have personal experience of de-linted cottonseed....we were unable to source any WCS and were offered 20t of the de-linted stuff. We fed it out the same and rolled a lot of cows - they were not starving either. They didnt bloat - just got depressed and lay down and died. Experience is what you have just after you need it. We did feed the rest out but mixed it with hay and meal in the mixer trailer.
However, the WCS we have fed, when required, for many years, free choice, without ever losing a beast. Our main herd is in good order still (even though we've had no rain since February) but we had to bring home 150 char cows from agistment that ran out.
They need picking up in condition so we have them in a 3000 ac paddock which has a moderate stand of the old dry grass, which has been fairly well picked through during the year by a mob of young cattle and thousands of kangaroos. So immediately upon the cows being turned into the paddock, we filled and parked the cottonseed trailers at the watering points and put out tubs of liquid molasses 8% urea. The cottonseed is $410 a tonne landed, 30t load, so its all expensive. The cows have had cottonseed before and hoe straight in. Late afternoon they're all gone out to graze and don't come back until about 7 in the morning. Hopefully it will rain soon!
For the couple of house cows, I just fill a big trough, enough for a week or so and let them at it. Their milk output doubles on WCS.
At times, when short of shed space, the cottonseed has been piled outside and has copped a one or two wet seasons worth of rain and still been good to feed a couple of years later. Great stuff. It is also widely fed to sheep free-choice.

Sounds like you got yourself a huge episode of gossypol poisoning. I'd still resist feeding WCS free choice in any form. Just so much more to lose than to gain. But your'e right..it will store outside for a long time. Almost waterproof and an excellent feed "ingredient". Best of luck to you.

The 150 cows are going along well after three weeks on the WCS and are eating about 6lbs a day per cow (and calf - about half have calves.) Each feeder holds about 6000lbs.
On Monday we're bringing another hundred light conditioned second calf heifers home, many with calves, and they will go straight onto the WCS too. We've stopped feeding the M8U at present, they don't need it now, but the cows have a dry urea/palm kernel meal/gran am mix free choice in tubs. Our main herd is still holding on okay. Maybe santa will bring us some rain!

Tod Dague":328lubxc said:
The fat in the WCS acts as a limiter, typical limiting is around 7 lbs per day.

Fat content won't limit intake. The don't know it contains any fat until long after it's swallowed...But you should limit feed it due to the high fat content as excess fat can reduce digestion.

Tod Dague":k50zste6 said:
http://www.auburn.edu/~rankidl/cottonseed.html

I personally haven't feed it free choice, I'm to much of a control freak, but my brother has and was pleased with the results.

I've never known too many cows to limit their intake of anything except for limiters man put in the feed. I wouldn't depend on my cows to limit their intake on cottonseed or combination of ALL cotton products due to the chances of gossypol poisoning. Wonder how many the guys that did this article had die on them during their tests or did I overlook that. ;-)

TexasBred":2emem3i0 said:
Tod Dague":2emem3i0 said:
http://www.auburn.edu/~rankidl/cottonseed.html

I personally haven't feed it free choice, I'm to much of a control freak, but my brother has and was pleased with the results.

I've never known too many cows to limit their intake of anything except for limiters man put in the feed. I wouldn't depend on my cows to limit their intake on cottonseed or combination of ALL cotton products due to the chances of gossypol poisoning. Wonder how many the guys that did this article had die on them during their tests or did I overlook that. ;-)
It isn't a long article, if you had difficulty reading it maybe someone can help you. You stated the fat content wouldn't limit the intake, I gave you an article that stated otherwise. Feel free to believe and do what you want.

Latest posts