Who uses a Gelbvieh herdsire?

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
OK.......I am planning to change bulls. My RA bull is up for sale. I will need to replace him by spring. I am enrolled in our state enhancement program (TAEP) and the state will reimburse me for 50% or up to $1,000 on a new bull as long as it falls within the top 50% of the breed on 4 major EPD's (BW,WW,YW and Milk).

I am strongly considering crossing a Gelbvieh bull (homo black and polled) on my BA and RA cows and heifers. I like everything that I have read about this breed and their performance so far. Does anyone here use a Gelbvieh bull on their angus cows and if so how is it working for you? Are there any particular bloodlines that I should consider looking at? I am in Middle Tennessee so if you Tennessee folks know any reputable breeders in the area that you could reccomend as a place to start shopping it would be appreciated. Thanks :cboy:

TNMasterBeefProducer":32isrtt6 said:
Hoss,

I have used several Gelbvieh bulls on my cows as well as Salers bulls. Most of the Gelbvieh bulls that I have used came from either TJB Gelbvieh or Crawfish Creek Gelbvieh in North GA. However, I do know some good Gelbvieh breeders in your neck of the woods. You might want to check out Gelbvieh.org To find breeders in your area. I can say that Thurman Mason that lives in Quebec TN and owns M&M Gelbvieh/ Do Little Farm and has the TTM bloodline has some darned good Gelbvieh as does a buddy of mine Mr. Gary Witt I cant find Gary's number right now but he did have a homo black and homo polled Gelbvieh or balancer bull for sale I think he wanted 1800 for him and he was 3 years old and an easy keeper weighed about 22-2300 pounds last time I seen it. Ive found that the Gelbvieh cow bred to a Homo black Salers bull is unbeatable in terms of making crossbred cattle. I highly recommend the Salers bulls. They put more pounds of gain on my calves and calved easier with smaller birth weight than using Gelbvieh genetics and they compliment angus very well.

http://www.cattletoday.com/tngelbvieh/

Is a good source of information for Tennesee Gelbvieh Breeders.

Jere hood of hood-richman always has good gelbvieh bulls for sale as well.

http://www.cattletoday.com/hood_richman/

John Bartee in Clarksville also has some danged good ones to.

TMBP, I tried emailing Crawfish Creek this morning through their website and it came back as undeliverable due to email address being canceled.

[email protected] on 10/23/2007 11:21 AM
The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to. Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address.
<DS10.#5.1.1 smtp;550 5.1.1 <[email protected]> recipient rejected>).

Do you know if they are still in business? I also got with Jerry Hood and he had some bulls but none with the EPD's that are in the upper 50%. He had some younger ones that may be ready by spring so I will check back with him.

TJB sold out a year or two ago, because Todd Bickett's embryo transfer business was getting busier, and he didn't have time to run both the ET business and the cattle operation.

I'm not sure if Crawfish Creek is still in business either.

We had a handful of gelbvieh sired calves this year. Some of the better calves we've ever had in my opinion. And the gelbvieh influece cows we have are some of my favorites.

We start calving Nov 1, have 30some cows bred to a red gelbvieh bull and 30some bred to a black simmi bull. In about a year I'll give you a semi-educated opinion of the whole shebang.

cfpinz

Hoss, give John Yates at ClayJohn farms in NC a call, I believe he has a bull you will be interested in, he was going to sell him at the TN/VA Gelbvieh sale, but it was cancled due to drought. Tell him you are calling about the Buford x Rose bull he was going to sell at the TN/VA sale. Tell him Wallace gave you his number it is. 336 984 9374

bufordall":l5cz2yf0 said:
Hoss, give John Yates at ClayJohn farms in NC a call, I believe he has a bull you will be interested in, he was going to sell him at the TN/VA Gelbvieh sale, but it was cancled due to drought. Tell him you are calling about the Buford x Rose bull he was going to sell at the TN/VA sale. Tell him Wallace gave you his number it is. 336 984 9374

Thanx!

I am a breed gelbvieh cattle and you can't go wrong with a Blk Homo bull, if you want more info contact me Double V Farms I'm on the gelbvieh locator, I'm pretty good with the blk bull genetics.

Don;t know what kind of distance it is, bit Knoll Crest Farms in VA has some darn good Gelbviehs.

We use Gelbvieh on limi cross and a few crosses with a little extra ear on them. We've noticed that Gelbvieh bulls won't take off any ear. Been using Gelbvieh for 10 yrs a have real good luck. Went to Gelbvieh over Limousin because of disposition and milking ability. I've also talked to another local farmer who uses Gelbvieh on Brahma catttle with the same results. Other than not taking off the extra ear great calves. Two local farmers buy all heifers we dont keep for replacements.

Latest posts