Which rifles are must haves

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
Hey, I think I have the smallest a biggest rifles needed for the operation of a ranch, looking for what I'm missing

Have: 3x .22's (Mossberg w. scope, Winchester 11 shot pump open sights, and the faithful Cooey (bloody accurate (within 1/4" from 30 to 100 feet) even with a $15 scope), a .308, and if it doesn't fall after that, we have a 7mm Remington magnum...

Need: thinking of a .270 for coyotes, deer, etc that really don't need a .308, but are a bit bigger than a .22 an handle at any range, Also need a crow-shooter shotgun, preferably something that can be shot one-handed without too much kickback.

Looking for some recommendations

6mm Remington for coyotes or deer. If your deer are very large then I would go with a 25-06 any day over the 270.

3 waycross, I thought the 257 Roberts was the king of the hill out there. The trick is to get the bullet to go where you want it to. :nod:

highgrit":1jihe3dy said:
3 waycross, I thought the 257 Roberts was the king of the hill out there. The trick is to get the bullet to go where you want it to. :nod:

I am always willing to learn. I have done quite a bit of competitive rifle shooting so I am keenley aware of the importantance of bullet placement. What is the advantage of the 257 Roberts over the other two. I actually own them both in the Ackley Imp version and the factory versions.

BTW the 6mm Remington and the .257 BOB share the same parent case the 7X57. For me at least the advantage of the 6 over the 257 is a far superior bullet selection and the higher ballistic co-efficient of the 6mm bullets.
The reason I choose the 25-06 over the BOB is simply a matter of horsepower. The 25-06 will push a 115gr Berger well over 3000FPS and there is no way the BOB can approach that kind of speed, and the Ackley version is virtually the same as a .257 Weatherby with less powder and less recoil.

My preferences: .54 cal. traditional style percussion muzzleloader (not the new Star Wars types) and 30-06 bolt for deer/elk; 30-30 lever for deer and coyotes; .22 semi for killing cans, bleach bottles and raccoons. I'm a light-weight for a shotgun - 20 gauge suits me just fine. Hubby, on the other hand, thinks there are at least 15 rifles that are must-haves. ("You never know when an unwanted elephant or polar bear might show up with the cows out in this country!")

Any I can get my hands on. At least that's the way it's been for a lifetime.

Now I'm downsizing and looking to build a far smaller house. I don't even know where I'm going to put my two large gun safes. But I'll keep both of those.

3waycross":3o7lvez8 said:
6mm Remington for coyotes or deer. If your deer are very large then I would go with a 25-06 any day over the 270.
3way, I am a HUGE 6mm Remington fan. I own 3 Remington 700's in that caliber. I load 75gr. V-Max bullets for coyotes and other varmints and either the 95gr. Nosler BT's or 100gr. Nosler particians for deer. I have used it on black bear with one shot kills under 150 yards. It has been the most versatile and accurate caliber in my arsenal. I have been using the 7mm-08 alot lately and have been growing very fond of it as an all-purpose round. The biggest caliber I own these days is a 7mm Mag. I found out the smaller rounds killed stuff just as fast as the super, whiz-bang magnums that I used to own. I used the 7 mag on moose and one shot to the heart / lung area put it down within 30 yards from where it was standing when shot.

HOSS":17r8l8wb said:
3waycross":17r8l8wb said:
3way, I am a HUGE 6mm Remington fan. I own 3 Remington 700's in that caliber. I load 75gr. V-Max bullets for coyotes and other varmints and either the 95gr. Nosler BT's or 100gr. Nosler particians for deer. I have used it on black bear with one shot kills under 150 yards. It has been the most versatile and accurate caliber in my arsenal. I have been using the 7mm-08 alot lately and have been growing very fond of it as an all-purpose round. The biggest caliber I own these days is a 7mm Mag. I found out the smaller rounds killed stuff just as fast as the super, whiz-bang magnums that I used to own. I used the 7 mag on moose and one shot to the heart / lung area put it down within 30 yards from where it was standing when shot.

I bought a Stevens in 7-08 last month nd am just getting around to shooting it this week. I have 10 rounds loaded with some Barnes bullets for my son to try on Antelope.

I think I will use my 6mm Ackley for mine. just trying to decide between some 95gr partitions and some 80gr Barnes .

I like the 280 cal, or maybe its the rifle, but most of the time when I go hunting it goes with me. I have a 6mm ruger #1 but I don't like it. The two outfitters I hunted with in Canada carried 270 cal rifles. Every place we went that carried ammo had 270 and 30-06.

Largest game I hunt is deer or hog,so it don't take a big bore rifle for either.And most shots are around 100 yds.So I rekon I have several rifles that will do the trick from my 22hornet up to my 50 cal smoke pole.But i'm fixin to buy a Browning 223wssm. Now I in no way need this rifle for anything,but a buddy of mine has one and it's a fun toy.And I got hooked.Got my on one just like new for $500.

Cal

Calman":2k3hhs1a said:
Largest game I hunt is deer or hog,so it don't take a big bore rifle for either.And most shots are around 100 yds.So I rekon I have several rifles that will do the trick from my 22hornet up to my 50 cal smoke pole.But i'm fixin to buy a Browning 223wssm. Now I in no way need this rifle for anything,but a buddy of mine has one and it's a fun toy.And I got hooked.Got my on one just like new for $500.

Cal

Cal if you had load be aware that the 223 wssm is a weird sob. My buddy blew on up and darned near lost his eye and his head. There used to be some wicked problems with the brass expecially that nickle plated crap

Thanks for the info Vic. I have not got into reloading yet. He's been shooting winchester 64 grain powerpoint. He reloads some but I don't think he has reloaded any of the wssm yet.
That has to be one fast little hunk of lead going down range. :lol:

Cal

Calman":3jmq938l said:
Thanks for the info Vic. I have not got into reloading yet. He's been shooting winchester 64 grain powerpoint. He reloads some but I don't think he has reloaded any of the wssm yet.
That has to be one fast little hunk of lead going down range. :lol:

Cal

I am sitting at my reloading bench tonight looking at loads for the 22-250 using the new Hodgdon Superformance powder. It says over 3700fps with a 60gr VMax. With those kind of numbers who needs a wssm. Wow. This powder is the real deal. Now if it will only shoot well.

I use to have a mini-14 223. Used it while calling coyotes. I packed a 30 round clip. If I missed on shot #one I generally didn't get them on shot #s 2 to 30 but you would be amazed at how many extra gears a coyote can grab bullets are bouncing dust around his tail.

I have heard it said a man only needs three guns. A 22 for plinking and small varmits. A all around big game rifle like a 30-06. And a shotgun for bird hunting. That has been said..... but my gun safe doesn't reflect it as being true.

Man should own a 22lr, 30-30 or 30-06 and a 12 gauge. No matter where you go you can get ammo and resonable.
The only reason you have so many calibers gun makers have to sell something so they have to make you think they have created a better mouse trap.

Latest posts