My grandkids are getting excited

Help Support CattleToday:

Where do you shoot the deer to plant them so you don't have to track them down in to some ravine or some thing?

I started doing a high shoulder shot at the advice of a friend. It has been good to my son and I so far.
I have always been a heart lung shooter. The biggest target and they don't go far. I use fairly light jacketed bullets the really open up for deer. For elk I use heavier bullets (200 grain) that are better built (Nosler partitioned). I want penetration on an elk. Not as much needed to punch through on a deer.

I remember one buck I shot over on the coast. He was standing down hill of me on steep ground. His chest was behind a bush. I thought I will neck shoot him and drop him in his tracks so he doesn't get further down in that hole. About 150 yards I hit him in the neck. He dropped in his tracks. And slid another 100 yards down the hill. He came out half at a time strapped on a pack board with me literally crawling up the hill. Fun times....

I have always been a heart lung shooter. The biggest target and they don't go far. I use fairly light jacketed bullets the really open up for deer. For elk I use heavier bullets (200 grain) that are better built (Nosler partitioned). I want penetration on an elk. Not as much needed to punch through on a deer.

I remember one buck I shot over on the coast. He was standing down hill of me on steep ground. His chest was behind a bush. I thought I will neck shoot him and drop him in his tracks so he doesn't get further down in that hole. About 150 yards I hit him in the neck. He dropped in his tracks. And slid another 100 yards down the hill. He came out half at a time strapped on a pack board with me literally crawling up the hill. Fun times....
That has been a big fear of mine. I carry trash bags in WTX with me in case I have to pack one up piece by piece.

That high shoulder sits them down right on their butt. It has worked for me like advertised. It has a big area if things go bad too.

The son missed a buck this morning. he told me that the two bucks together were for sure Boone & Crockett. They aren't use to looking at Mule Deer. Nice buck but not record book.

This evening him, his wife, hunting partner and his wife took off for an evening hunt and left with 4 kids. Grandma loaded them in a trailer behind her quad to haul a load of firewood. I was already over there and had spotted 5 does and a young 4 point buck on the neighbors. The kids thought that 4 point was the biggest deer ever. Back at the house there was 12 does in the upper field. I told the kids I bet we saw more deer than you parents.

Grandma made them popcorn and they went to their trailer to watch a movie. There is peace in our house.

A mule deer has been on my list for several years now. A good mule deer lease is pretty pricey out here though and it usually takes a group due to the amount of acreage.
It is a draw for a tag here. Then non resident cost about $400-500. But then there is a million acres of public land. The game management unit I live in runs about 50-55% success rate with a third of the bucks shot being 4 points or better.
I have shot Columbia Blacktails on the Washington coast. Some nice whitetails in northeast Washington. Mule deer in Washington and Oregon. And Sitka Blacktails in Alaska. Just missing the Couse deer from Arizona and I would have a deer grand slam. None of them are real trophy class but I have shot the different species.

The son and his family hunting here this week. His partner and family are here too. Partner's wife shot a pretty nice 3 point on Tuesday. Not a bad deer for her first one. Today I stepped out of the way for his partner. I said if you want him step up here and shoot him. A younger 4 point about 20 inches wide. Not up to my standards this year but the biggest buck he has ever shot. I had the camera in my pocket and forgot about until he was in the barn just before they skinned him. When it went down it tipped over and slid 100 feet down the hill. It broke off one tine in the fall.

Attachments

• PA072701.JPG
    PA072701.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 5
Very true but I still don't like the mother 🤬 . I'm glad some people enjoy hunting and eating them. Should be open season everyday all year at least until they are thined out.

I hit one in my sports car some years ago. Cop asked how fast I was going I told him 150 didn't every say anything different. He laughed and laughed... Some young redneck boys stopped asked if they could have the deer. They were excited free deer meat.
Chevy:
This could be a November photo contest category, everyone could show you the deer they killed and you could get some feeling of revenge or satisfaction for your vehicles they damaged. I give extra likes for kids first deer pictures ;)

My grandkids got pretty excited about that buck. None of them are old enough to hunt in Oregon (12 during season). That buck was shot up on the ridge above the west field. The kids could watch the stalk, shot, and deer going down from in front of the shop. After the deer went down they all came running across the field. They waded the irrigation ditch to come see it. The two Dads got to the deer first, then the kids, and I was last. Hmmmmm I must be getting old.

Chevy:
This could be a November photo contest category, everyone could show you the deer they killed and you could get some feeling of revenge or satisfaction for your vehicles they damaged. I give extra likes for kids first deer pictures ;)
January contest 😉 Seasons here don't open until mid to late Nov and run through Jan.