Snakes are out

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Well snake season has definitely arrived. Killed that one on the road yesterday. Just now I took a block of salt up to the cows. I had Edna's quad because mine is in getting serviced. Coming down the hill I looked down and nearly ran over a rattle snake. Looked like he was busy getting out of the way of the front tire. Both dogs with me and no shovel on Edna's quad. I went to the bottom of the hill Took the dogs into the house and grabbed my pistol (it was closer than a shovel). Went back and killed it. With the head cut off it was a hair under 36 inches so easily over 36 inches. It had 11 rattles. You can see from the picture how close it was to the house. One less snake is a good thing.P6022923.JPGP6022924.JPG

Same here TC, I have my dogs with me all the time and I sure don't want them getting used to having arguments with snakes.

Ken
Gotta get yourself a dingo, my brother had a dingo cross, crazy thing, but if it saw a snake it was dead. He'd get it and shake it that fast there was bits flying everywhere. Was really something to see. Full on instinct.

Gotta get yourself a dingo, my brother had a dingo cross, crazy thing, but if it saw a snake it was dead. He'd get it and shake it that fast there was bits flying everywhere. Was really something to see. Full on instinct.
It's the learning phase they gotta negotiate first. I tell all my new dogs to leave them alone, at that stage I tell them I'm not sure I'm gonna spend the money on antivenom if you get bit until you show me your worth.

Ken

My old dog Bear would grab a snake and kill it in a blink of the eye, But a rattler coiled up, rattling, and ready to strike she would give them a wide berth.
There is a snake bite vaccine available here. It requires an annual booster. I need to get to the vet and pick up the booster shots for the dogs.

Oh chopped off a big rattlesnake head last weekend. It was stretched out in the sun right under the grandkids swingset.

Well snake season has definitely arrived. Killed that one on the road yesterday. Just now I took a block of salt up to the cows. I had Edna's quad because mine is in getting serviced. Coming down the hill I looked down and nearly ran over a rattle snake. Looked like he was busy getting out of the way of the front tire. Both dogs with me and no shovel on Edna's quad. I went to the bottom of the hill Took the dogs into the house and grabbed my pistol (it was closer than a shovel). Went back and killed it. With the head cut off it was a hair under 36 inches so easily over 36 inches. It had 11 rattles. You can see from the picture how close it was to the house. One less snake is a good thing.View attachment 17454View attachment 17455
I'd say that's impressive. Glad you got him. We killed a copperhead around 24" long. Biggest I've ever seen. I hate snakes 🐍

Latest posts