Which replacements to buy?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Hope I don't cause trouble asking this, because I think I know the answer but would like it confirmed to reassure me. We need to buy 2-3 replacements, lost one cow and culled one. Everything we have bought before have been from someone we know that had had the cow for a while so we knew there we no immediate health problems. No one seems to have any right know so here is my question.

Been going to several sales lately and not seen too many that I liked, most of them are aged cows. There are 2 sales this weekend by farms in this area, 2 different registered sales with a few commercial ones too. Do you think I would be better off buying at one of these sales? Never been to one and did not know how high they go, someone told me sometimes you can get some for slightly more than the stockyard. Is that possible?

Thanks for the input, just trying to grow and improve our average herd. We sell calves at the stockyard so we are not really worried about papers just want some good cows. Both sales have some cows and calve pairs. bredd cows and heifers.

tom4018":2tq6bwsd said:
Hope I don't cause trouble asking this, because I think I know the answer but would like it confirmed to reassure me. We need to buy 2-3 replacements, lost one cow and culled one. Everything we have bought before have been from someone we know that had had the cow for a while so we knew there we no immediate health problems. No one seems to have any right know so here is my question.

Been going to several sales lately and not seen too many that I liked, most of them are aged cows. There are 2 sales this weekend by farms in this area, 2 different registered sales with a few commercial ones too. Do you think I would be better off buying at one of these sales? Never been to one and did not know how high they go, someone told me sometimes you can get some for slightly more than the stockyard. Is that possible?

Thanks for the input, just trying to grow and improve our average herd. We sell calves at the stockyard so we are not really worried about papers just want some good cows. Both sales have some cows and calve pairs. bredd cows and heifers.

The main advantage of registered cows over commercial is the fact that you have information available on the registered cow! Yes, they might cost a few dollars more but with some research you can be more assured of certain attributes beneficial to the cattle industry. Just having a live calf is not enough anymore. It must be a healthy live calf that will produce a pleasurable eating experience with the least amount of input.
The race is on to put a better steak on the table, if you are just starting out, don't get tripped up at the starting blocks. Best of luck!

Production sales are usually good places to buy replacement cows. Some are more reputable than others. You will get what you pay for. Quality costs money. Generally the better animals will sell for the higher prices. Good luck and have fun.

Source verified production sales are the way to go. FWIW stockyards are for selling not for buying.Most operators that have production sales stand behind their cattle .Age and health are verified and you can buy siblings or uniform groups. We believe in the production sale concept.I don't think it costs any more per unit when all factors are considered.These are the sales that earn reputation cattle/cattlemen their reputation.

tom4018":1stett05 said:

I think you would be better off at the farm sales, if they will stand behind the commercial cattle and have information on the genetics and breeding of the cattle. But have a price in mind before you start bidding and don't get caught up in a bidding war. Lately I've seen some good commercial Angus heifers sell at what I'd consider ridiculously high prices. Good luck and let us know how the sales go....

G.Marc Renwick":bj8terzu said:
FWIW stockyards are for selling not for buying.
Must be bash the salebarn/stockyard time again. Doesn't seem like we can ever make if through a whole month without it. For what Tom is looking for, I don't disagree with this statement:
G.Marc Renwick":bj8terzu said:
Source verified production sales are the way to go.
There's no reason to run down the salebarn, though. A lot of cattle herds in this country could probably be upgraded by purchasing from salebarns. Somebody else's cull cow might be my dam of distinction.

And FWIW, without buyers, salebarns would be a pretty crappy place for selling, too.

One reason you may want to go to a farm sale. Lets say you buy a good registered cow. She is bred to a good registered bull. You can look at both the cow's and the future calves sire's epds and performance. If you get a good bull calf out of this cow you have a possible future herd sire. He will be backed by a pedigree and performance numbers for generations back. A sale barn cow probably won't have this information. Just a thought. Good luck with whatever your choice is.

The registered cow has not only a family tree on paper, but a verbal history available from the breeder. If it is a reputable breeder, they have everything to gain from making sure you are satisfied with your choice. Don't overlook private treaty sales at a good ranch either. IMO, this is a great time to buy registered stock, because the price difference in many cases is not that great with cattle prices being what they are.

Went to both sales today, Charolais and Angus. Most of the prices were not much more than local stockyards for some cows. Some of the better genetics went high. I bought a 5 1/2 year old Charolais with a month old heifer calf for $1100. Thought I really got a good deal but she does have an eye that has been injured in the past and does not seem to see out of it much. Would you be concerned about that?

if she was good enough for you to buy i would only be concerned about it when working her. i'd stay on her good side.

I just completed a A.I. class, it was held at a sale barn. The instructor had a buyer buy around 50 head of cows for us to practice on. Every time some one had a problem with A.I. technique instructor would come take over, I think out of the 50 cows he called around 12 a "train wreck" (there reproductive tract) There was also a few cows that were short bred. Some of the these cows where good looking animals( on the outside) After this experience I would not go to the sale barn looking for replacements.

If it makes you feel any better about what you spent, I also went to a ranch sale yesterday and picked up 5 pairs of really nice looking angus. My gosh, I spent more for these prs than I did for my first new truck back in 1980! I have also been going to salebarns for the past few months and looking for the quality, nice and healthy bred cows / pairs. While there were quite a few nice cows that came through the salebarn, they all seemed to jump up to $1200-$1500 price range pretty quick. I just had a hard time spending that much on an unguaranteed cow which I usually only had a couple of minutes to look at in the ring. I finally just realized that that is what it's gonna cost to get in the business nowadays, and the private sellers were just about the same price as the quality cows at the salebarn. I'm not sure if the salebarns are all that great of a bargain if you're looking for replacements anymore. For me personally, not having alot of experience with cattle, it was worth a couple hundred dollars more per pair to be able to talk to the owner, knowing exactly how old the calf is, what vaccinations the cow has received, seeing how the cows / calves acted around other cattle and just knowing whom I was buying from and knowing he stood behind every sale he makes.
For these guys like Texan and Craig, they can probally tell the difference between a cow that just needs some groceries and a cow that is really in need of medical help, which is where you can find the bargains nowadays it seems. Myself, if a cow comes through skinny and lethargic, I automatically stay away from it and assume it's there because the owner knows it's going downhill fast. A more experienced cattleman doesn't do that and that's how you make money off of salebarn cattle.

Here are the ones that I bought, any thoughts on these?
MVC-008F.jpg

MVC-004F.jpg

tom4018":3ft8lq3y said:
Here are the ones that I bought, any thoughts on these?
MVC-008F.jpg

MVC-004F.jpg

Both cow seem to have a good BCS and an ok confirmation. I wish that the Charlais calf was a bit beefier (may be because its young). The Hereford's teats look quite large even though it looks that she is about to calf. They will probably produce fine calves which is all that matters.

I like the charolais cow a lot. would like a better picture of her bag though. the calf looks like it might have gotten off to a rocky start. is she milking well and from all four teats? maybe its just one of those awkward kids but doesnt look quite all there.

Hereford is ok i guess. not real big on herefords though. would like to see a better side picture of her before i comment.

Latest posts