Which Chainsaw

Help Support CattleToday:

Stihl Pro saw, it's lighter weight and has more power! Forget that stupid easy start crap, it doesn't work, just the opposite!

I own a tree service business and all I have is stihl says I would say get a 390 it will do everything that you need to do... as far as chain goes I prefer 3/8 chain.... but also you didnt say what kinds of woods you will be using the saw on...

We were handed down a Husqvarna 266xp. It hasn't cut as much wood as it did in the 80's but still runs strong.

I liked my Stihl 044 until someone decided they needed it more than me.

I can't speak to the new stuff. Do some searching on the net. A really good saw can cost you several hundred dollars more than the saw you really need.

dun":2mo9dutn said:
If you use gasoline with a stabilizer like Stabil in it you won;t have those problems unless the dirt daubers take up residence
I used to use Stabil and my mechanic said he switched to Seafoam and thought it worked quite a bit better so I've been using it for the last couple years, but both work well.

arkie 74":2qv2s84r said:
I've been looking at buying a new chainsaw. I would like to stay with Stihl or Jonsered because those dealers are closest. I would appreciate any input on the Stihl MS 280, MS 290, MS 310, MS 390 or the Jonsered CS 2255, CS 2156C, CS 2159C. Is there alot of difference in the 3/8 and the .325 chain?
Thanks for any advise

Not sure what model my newer Jonsered is, 53 cc? 18 inch bar - No probs in 5 years, 6-7 cords a year plus brushing duties.
The old saw is a Jonsered, same specs, same performance, got it it the early to mid 70's.

The new saw is lighter and "spools up" faster, so it is nicer when limbing or brushing. But the old saw seems to take less effort when cutting large trunks.

Jonsered dealer is excellent here, but so is the Stihl. My Stihl brushcutter has been problem free for 5 years as well.

Stabilizer ( thanks for the reminder ) is golden juice. You gotta use it.

I use an Efco 962, which has been a real reliable saw so far. I believe Jonsered and Husky are very similar saws. I used to have a Jonsered. For cleaning out fence rows--if trees are intertwined in barbed wire, such as cedars, I like working with a lighter saw with a shorter bar. It is easier to keep the chain out of the wire.

I have done lawncare\landscaping for 13 years and the secret to never having a problem has been to use equipment often and hard. When not in use at the end of fall we empty the fuel tank and tun it upside down and shake every last drop out of the tank, then we fire it up on fumes and run what ever is left in the line\carb out of it so there is no gas at all left in it, then we store it in a heated shop so no moister gets in them, come spring when we are ready for it we fill it full of fresh 2-stroke and go right back to using it often and hard. 13 years and zero problems!

Fresh gaped plugs, fuel, and air filter come spring before ever starting it.

We only run Stihl, that really helps to keep the problems down... lol

Hi. Have cut wood professionally. Had a Jonseredes 621 I bought in 1978. Best saw I have ever used. Stolen about 8 years ago. Jonserd, husqvarna, partner, and a host of others are now owned by electrolux. Jred and Husq are
, in general, the same saw with different color and numbers. If you buy one be sure it is made in sweden and nowhere else. I have heard the stihl 361 is a very good all around saw. Give serious consideration to dolmar/makita 6400. Google arboristsite or forestryforum for the best advice on saws.

Get a good double bit ax and a good file, it will always start when you are ready to start, very cheap to operate, no breakdowns, good exercise, good for birth control,and will make the wife happy for if you operate that bugger 8 hours a day you gonna be so tired you ain't going to be bothering her and you will stay on your side of the bed.

We've been using a husky 65 for 32 years now, and I just retired it to being a parts saw for the other two of the same model we have, it was getting hard to start and down on power... a re-ring job is all it needs though, bearings and everything else is good on it.. on that model the only complaint is the air filter isn't quite sufficient, so you have to clean it often. we have 2 made in sweden and one made in yugoslavia.. we don't notice any problems with the yugoslavian one. the reason we really like them is that they are super quiet.. we have 24 in bars on them

I own Husky's and a couple older stihls, son in law has worked for a power line comany trimming trees for the last few yrs and said they have switched to all husky's because the newer stihls gave them nothing but problems. The company he worked for had probably 50 saws and they all seen hard use several hrs everyday
he said they had wore out several of the newer stihls on his crew and some of the husky's they had when he started were still going strong

I wanted a small saw for clearing fencelines and decided on a small Stihl. I forked over the extra money for the easy start and the toolless chain adjustment. The easy start is a joke. Makes it harder if anything. The tool less chain adjustment is great however. This saw needed about a year to break in. Was a devil to start for the first year. Then, all of a sudden it must have gotten broken in, and is now working great. It just tried my patience for the first year. It doesn't know how close it came to being slung in the pond in a fit of rage!

Latest posts