Which bull? which bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
Well, I'm looking at replacing my Gelbvieh bull "Arnold", this was his 5th season here and he's going on 8 years old I think... I spoke to the place where he came from supposedly (we got him through the auctioneer who knows everyone), and we've been happy with him, the only flaw his daughters seem to have is they often have extra teats, but it hasn't been much trouble so far.

Now here are some prospective replacements
BRM 619Y, a long yearling Gelbvieh

BRM 266Z, I think he's a better built animal

And here are the Limos from HiValley Limousin I'm looking at, they're going to send me some more pictures as well as these aren't the best angles...

2Z

5Z

46Z

There are some other bulls they have (a bit older) that I'm considering as well, I'll get pictures at some point.

I'd like to get a better look of the first lim bull, the others have terrible top lines, the second gelb is built well, however his tail and switch are not right for a yearling, too long, I think the first lim bull may be good, but that angle is not very telling

And one more from HiValley... Shane?

I'm really liking 266Z, he's got the build I look for.... my reservation about him is I should perhaps switch breed to maximize heterosis, but I don't know if that should really be a deciding factor...

Next is Hi Valley 5Z, he looks nice and long without sacrificing meat, I'm not much for 46Z or 619Y

Hi Valley 2Z looks promising, I just can't tell enough from the picture to make a good judgement, and 'Shane' has a nice butt, but doesn't really strike me with either qualities or flaws.. perhaps it's the pictures.

Oh, some numbers on the HiValley....

46Z "Hi Valley Romeo" BW = 77 lbs
5Z "Hi Valley Timeline" Bw = 91 lbs, WW (adj) = 694 lbs, YW adj = 1155

I'd check out 2Z in person, none of the others strike me as impressive, I think 2Z could be good, but it's difficult to say with that pic :/

Hard to say that the first limo is the best when you only have a frontal view of him, though he looks nice and stocky. I don't see much wrong with the topline of 266Z (gelbvieh).

Honestly, though I do appreciate cattle with perfectly flat backs, it's not the highest thing on my priority list, I am looking for bulls that do NOT have prominent tailheads, my cows seem to be getting those more and more. I am most concerned about good udders, hips, hooves, meat and carcass quality, and calving ease... when I find 2 bulls with those qualities, I'll pick the one with the best topline.

Here is an excerpt of the email from the breeder of 266Z
The BRM 266Z bull was kept off the early bull sale market because he was a late calf and we did not feel he was ready for the early season breeding. He comes from a longevity , trouble free line, his dam was 11 when he was born. His sire is an easy keeping, easy calving bull.

It doesn't mention when he was born though

With as much as I like Limi's it would not be them or Gelp's. Some english breed to cover your gelp cross breds. I would look at herefods or red angus.

houstoncutter":2mqiujko said:
With as much as I like Limi's it would not be them or Gelp's. Some english breed to cover your gelp cross breds. I would look at herefods or red angus.
I would prefer a Hereford for his cows. But I would go with that better looking limo out of what he has shown.

Well, we're going going back to herfs or RA, we weren't fond of them when we had them...

Here are some more pictures... Apparently 2Z is tentatively spoken for, but there are some better pictures of him anyhow

More of 5Z

2Z

And 48Z

Here's what the seller said about him in the email
"Hi-Valley Leo 48Z". He was born September 12th, 2012 ... with a birth weight of 80 pounds. His adjusted weaning weight was 627 pounds. Don't forget ... this guy's five months younger than the other two.

Timeline 5Z is doublepolled, which is always nice...

I think you know pretty well what bull you need and want to use on your herd Nesi ;-)

Good luck with what you bring home and let us know how he does . :tiphat:

we have a good idea of where we want to be, so that helps.. we want a solid red or tan animal (a white spot or tail is OK), meaty, slightly above average frame that's thick with meat over the top, docile, good milkers on grass, and nothing with hoof, udder, prolapse problems... Once I've got all that settled, I'll work on the next problem I find.

Latest posts