which breed

Help Support CattleToday:

gabbyellepaige

Reaction score
should i get?
im entering the ft.worth calf scramble so if i get a calf i have to buy a heifer to show next year at the show.
i either want a chianina, braunvieh, simmental, or maine-anjou.
i want a breed with a quiet disposition, and is small.
because my charolais is a bigger breed she eats more feed, so a smaller breed would just be cheaper.
all suggestions would be helpful, thank you<33

gabbyellepaige":2m5ytk0i said:
should i get?
im entering the ft.worth calf scramble so if i get a calf i have to buy a heifer to show next year at the show.
because my charolais is a bigger breed she eats more feed, so a smaller breed would just be cheaper.

gabby ep-

The four breeds that you have indicated are all considered larger breeds in the beef catagory. I suggest that you consider either a moderate sized Angus, Gelbvieh, Red Angus, Shorthorn, Murray Grey, or South Devon. These can all be selected in moderate sizes, which is desirable to keep the mature adult sizes of the cows around 1200 1300 pounds, for economical management, feed efficiency and, more PROFIT to you. They usually are more easily handled, not only for show preparation purposes, but for beef management protocols as they go into the producing herd after their show career ends and they begin their productive lives.

Remember this important advice: ALWAYS work with them QUIETLY!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":18qj2qku said:
gabbyellepaige":18qj2qku said:
should i get?

gabby ep-

The four breeds that you have indicated are all considered larger breeds in the beef catagory. I suggest that you consider either a moderate sized Angus, Gelbvieh, Red Angus, Shorthorn, Murray Grey, or South Devon. These can all be selected in moderate sizes, which is desirable to keep the mature adult sizes of the cows around 1200 1300 pounds, for economical management, feed efficiency and, more PROFIT to you. They usually are more easily handled, not only for show preparation purposes, but for beef management protocols as they go into the producing herd after their show career ends and they begin their productive lives.

DOC HARRIS

If you follow Doc's advice and get a Murray Grey, it will be the first one I have seen at the Fort Worth Stock Show. We've been interested in taking a look at them each year (terminal) and there has never been one there.

I'd get a Simmental. The most adaptable breed out there. While breeders of other breeds will tell you they are too big being the most adaptable breed it is simply not true. You can find one to fit your pocketbook and frame score. Being plentyful they aren't hard to find either. You also can get your choice of black, red, or traditional. They have great junior programs as well. Good luck.

backhoeboogie":1wi9ip2z said:
DOC HARRIS":1wi9ip2z said:
gabbyellepaige":1wi9ip2z said:
should i get?

gabby ep-

DOC HARRIS

If you follow Doc's advice and get a Murray Grey, it will be the first one I have seen at the Fort Worth Stock Show. We've been interested in taking a look at them each year (terminal) and there has never been one there.
i dont think i could get a Murray Grey, on the scrammble papers it lists the breeds i can get and its not listed.
if it were i would most deffinatley get one, i really want a grey heifer!

Gabby, you may want to look at a Hereford or Polled Hereford if you want gentle. As far as feed goes, you will be feeding between 2 to 2.5 percent of the body weight of what ever breed you choose.

You need to study the various breeds that you can buy from the list on the scramble certifice.

Gabby,

The Murray Grey fits the bill for a small, low maintenance breed. Can you talk to the organizers of the scramble and see if they would allow it? Maybe they would include the breed because they if they knew about the breeds history.
If you don't mind a red heifer I would look at a Tarentaise. They are smaller and for a good milking cow are easy keepers. They also have the cutest calves on the planet-something out of a Walt Disney movie.

You could also take a look at Beefmaster, they can be fairly gentle.

If you have to get one of the four breeds that you listed in order to participate in the program, my pick would be Simmental 1st, Braunvieh 2nd, the other two a distant third.

Ditto what VLS said on the Tarentaise. They are the right size and the females look like females. Been to too many shows that you had to look twice to tell the show heifers from the steers 'cuz there was just no femininity to them.

Here are the breeds accepted by the Ft. Worth show:
BEEF HEIFERS: The calf must be purebred and registered in the association records of one of the following breeds: ABERDEEN-ANGUS (Black), BEEFMASTER (must be registered with
B.B.U.), BRAFORD, BRAHMAN, BRANGUS (must be registered with IBBA), BRAUNVIEH,
CHIANINA, CHAROLAIS, HEREFORD, LIMOUSIN, LONGHORN, MAINE-ANJOU,
POLLED HEREFORD, RED ANGUS, SANTA GERTRUDIS, SHORTHORN, SIMBRAH,
SIMMENTAL. Beef Heifers must have been born on or after January 1, 2010.

Murrey Grey and Tarentaise are not on the list.

We have two Braunvieh cows which were scramble heifers and our youngest daughter's last scramble heifer was a Beefmaster.

Both San Antonio and Houston have Braunvieh shows. They are a wonderful breed with good dispositions and they make good mother cows. The National Braunvieh Sale is during the Fort Worth Stock Show. We bought one of the heifers there.

Are you going to keep the heifer after you raise and show her or are you going to sell her? I know that not all kids have a place to keep their heifers after the completion of the project.

Tegerian":2g4wlahg said:

Let's see the 6 essentials of a Beefmaster are: weight, conformation, fertility, hardiness, milk production, and DISPOSITION

...yep, if you want calm, get yourself a good Beefmaster IMHO [which of course is biased]

chippie":2joi5k3t said:
We have two Braunvieh cows which were scramble heifers and our youngest daughter's last scramble heifer was a Beefmaster.

Both San Antonio and Houston have Braunvieh shows. They are a wonderful breed with good dispositions and they make good mother cows. The National Braunvieh Sale is during the Fort Worth Stock Show. We bought one of the heifers there.

Are you going to keep the heifer after you raise and show her or are you going to sell her? I know that not all kids have a place to keep their heifers after the completion of the project.
i want to keep both my heifers (if i end up getting another one)
we have some land so ill keep them on that, or since my sister is going into highschool next year i can keep them at the schools barn for 4 more years until i can get land of my own.
but my life goal is to become a charolais breeder!

DavisBeefmasters":5r57rs5n said:
Tegerian":5r57rs5n said:

Let's see the 6 essentials of a Beefmaster are: weight, conformation, fertility, hardiness, milk production, and DISPOSITION

...yep, if you want calm, get yourself a good Beefmaster IMHO [which of course is biased]
i am kind of considering beefmaster, now that you guys have thrown it out there.
i love the array of colors they come in.
but i really like hairy breeds.
how big do beefmasters get generally?

If your goal is to become a Charolais breeder, I'd try and get one of those. Otherwise, I'd go with Red Angus. They have a great Junior program, it's easy to find a breeder, and they are calm animals that are easy to show.

DavisBeefmasters":37216zaf said:
Tegerian":37216zaf said:

I'd think those would be 6 essentials of any breed.

showing71":og61djak said:
If your goal is to become a Charolais breeder, I'd try and get one of those. Otherwise, I'd go with Red Angus. They have a great Junior program, it's easy to find a breeder, and they are calm animals that are easy to show.
i already have a charolais heifer, and im not really into angus be they red or black.

Latest posts