which breed????

Help Support CattleToday:

pruss06

Reaction score
I'm looking at three different options on what breed to start with on my herd. I'm just starting out and I've researched all the characteristics of many types of cattle and these are the three that I came up with; just having trouble deciding on one to start with. Would like to know what all of you guys think? My choices are: Santa Gertrudis, Red Angus, Brangus.
I live in Texas so I need a cow that can handle the climate and conditions here.
Thanks for all your input!!!~ :D

pruss06":18btpqww said:
Would like to know what all of you guys think? My choices are: Santa Gertrudis, Red Angus, Brangus.
I live in Texas so I need a cow that can handle the climate and conditions here.
Thanks for all your input!!!~ :D
In the area of Texas that you are in I would go with the Brangus cows and use a Red Angus bull on them.

well, from the non-angus bench.......brangus or gert with a hereford (preferably polled) bull

For comercial herd angus cows with hereford bulls. Or my favorite angus cows with angus bulls.

Brangus cows w/ red angus bull.

not herefords, especially if your south of central tx. Unless you pamper them day and night like many of these guys on the board, they won't hold up well in south texas climate.

angus are better than hereford but the same problem exists. an example : in Maverick county, roughly 20 miles from the mexican border, our two registered angus bulls were either laying under trees or standing in the tanks almost every time we saw them... thought they were queers. The breed as a whole is proven to be much more heat-sensitive than say a Brahma-influenced animal. If you want a good herd that stays alive in texas you need either brahma or longhorn influence- and don't let anyone tell you you can't make money with longhorns.

TxStateCowboy":3o9srb57 said:
not herefords, especially if your south of central tx. Unless you pamper them day and night like many of these guys on the board, they won't hold up well in south texas climate.

:lol2: :lol2: you need to get out more.

txag":fkljcwqv said:
well, from the non-angus bench.......brangus or gert with a hereford (preferably polled) bull
Even I am definitely on the Angus Bench, txag's suggestion is excellent, especially the Polled Hereford bull on the Brangus cows

Hey guys didn't hereford on longhorn change the cattle industry down there some 100+ years ago?

Well, I'm partial to Red Angus myself but I think ollie' has the best suggestion. Quality and Temperment are main things to look for no matter what the breed.
I'd look around a bit, see what brings the most money in your area.

txag":16kmxofu said:
TxStateCowboy":16kmxofu said:

Buyers at the salebarn's I go to knock hide and horns bad. History question why did they import herefords to put on longhorns to improve the breed that is why they were considered the great improver.

Caustic Burno":1x5wibrz said:
txag":1x5wibrz said:
TxStateCowboy":1x5wibrz said:

Buyers at the salebarn's I go to knock hide and horns bad. History question why did they import herefords to put on longhorns to improve the breed that is why they were considered the great improver.

HEREFORDS - THE GREAT IMPROVER
With the end of the Civil War and the coming of the American Industrial Revolution, the westward expansion continued and so did America's appetite for beef. Western ranching developed from free land and local longhorned cattle originally brought to Mexico by the Spanish conquerors and allowed to drift northward into what is now America's great southwestern cattle country. These cattle were tough and had the bred-in ability to survive, a trait that enabled their being driven to railhead shipping points and then transported by rail to slaughter at eastern markets. It was on such cattle that Herefords proved the great improver. They survived the rough ranching conditions and improved beef quality in the process. Demand for Hereford bulls boomed.

Latest posts