which breed do you prefer to show and why, poll?

Help Support CattleToday:

which breed do you prefer to show and why?

• angus

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • brahman

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • charolais

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • hereford

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • limousine

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • shorthorn

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • simbrah

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters

gabbyellepaige

Reaction score
i would really just like to know what everyone likes to show.
and what each breeds strong and weak points are:)
2eye79t.jpg
fd521l.jpg
330wt8m.jpg

2ntzjub.jpg
10dtw5g.jpg
2lnfp0m.jpg
25p36h3.jpg

I looked back at the National Western Livestock Show and the break down for Jr. Heifers was (quick count)
Breed
Angus - 147
Shorthorn - 118
Herefords - 89 (polled and horned combined)
Simmental - 59
Maine-Anjoue 55
Red Angus - 48
Charolais - 45
Gelvieh - 42
Limousin - 36
Salars - 16

Take from the numbers what you want, your question made me curious myself so I went to look at their numbers, I thank it depends on the area you live in and type of cattle that are more prevalent in you area.

Well, my breed isn't listed in the poll, but I like showing Red Angus. I like to showing them because they are something different. I've never liked showing solid black animals, but I always like showing my angus heifers, so I went with the Red Angus. The downfall with them is that there isn't a huge push for Red Angus show animals. But I know there are more and more people using the cows for club calves, so maybe that will change.

My breed was not listed. Santa Gertrudis. They are "wash and wear" cattle and more importantly have an excellent youth program.

BC":rdgrgmuv said:
My breed was not listed. Santa Gertrudis. They are "wash and wear" cattle and more importantly have an excellent youth program.

Yes they do. I was fortunate enough to be able to donate a heifer to one class this year at the National Heifer Show. The young man that won the class seems to be very happy with coming north to look at some cattle and pick out a heifer to show for the next 2 years.
For those not familiar with what BC was talking about, the Santa Gertrudis assoc. has a program where all class winners at the National Junior Santa Gertrudis Heifer Show receive a donated heifer. This is the ONLY breed that does this. The junior member that wins the heifer has 2 pages of rules to go by, or else the heifer is returned. One rule is a monthly letter to the breeder. When the calves are yearlings, all of the donated heifers are lined up and stalled together, and are in an extra class just for them.
If anyone has more questions on the program, I'd be happy to help however I can, or can direct you to those that can.

yea im in FFA and i just listed all the breeds that the other kids at my barn have.
i was actually considering a santagertrutis but my teacher told me
that they were a very mean breed.
is this true?

There are cattle with temperament issues in all breeds. I once owned a Holstein cow that tree'd all the help at the vet clinic. My kids nick named her "Spook".

Where are you located? I might be able to put you in contact with some Santa Gertrudis breeders in your area. Your FFA adviser needs to go with you on the visit. He/she might get a different opinion.

BC":lg0nwl1o said:
There are cattle with temperament issues in all breeds. I once owned a Holstein cow that tree'd all the help at the vet clinic. My kids nick named her "Spook".

Where are you located? I might be able to put you in contact with some Santa Gertrudis breeders in your area. Your FFA adviser needs to go with you on the visit. He/she might get a different opinion.

It always seemed to me that a "sick" jersey would use her last ounce of strength to kick you.

I like the looks of the Simmental youth program..We looked at some Sim heifers afew years ago.

Id love for my son to show Brangus..as that is my favorite breed..but I saw all the Brangus that showed at the county livestock show get docked..granted, they were more "growthy" looking then the Angus and Shorthorns that won the classes..but the judge even commented Brangus were just "to growthy" to compete against those above..

thoughts?

I admit, the more I learn about the livestock showing in my county, the more I personaly am intimidated..I wish my son could be enrolled in the next county's livestock program..I know more folks over there and it seems lower key. :)

BC":gri0v8da said:

yea thats what i was think just because of that one cow, he shouldnt label the whole breed
as mean.
but i already have a charolais heifer and she's more then enough bovine for me at the moment.
but if i do get another heifer soon i will most definatley look into the santa gertrudis:)

I've been fortunate to 'test drive' many different breeds, mainstream and otherwise.

Of the breeds you mentioned ...

Angus - have shown some nice calm ones and a few feral ones. For the most part I've enjoyed showing angus, and I like the breed. They are intelligent cattle though I have found sometimes Angus can suddenly change personalities, and go from being a calm animal to suddenly wanting to kill you, with no obvious reason.
Brahman - havent personally had much to do with them. Friends say they are highly intelligent. They say they wont lie down in the stall if it isnt clean. A friend had them and said every time she wanted to take them to a show, she had to re-break them. They didnt remember halter lessons after they had been out in a paddock for a while
Charolais - I've found them gentle enough, not agressive, but highly strung, tend to jump and spook at things
Hereford - found them very placid, not the smartest of animals, but low maintenance and easy to handle and show. Biggest thing is to make sure you have blown their white patches completely dry before you put them in the beds because otherwise they will go yellow. And dont leave the blue-o in too long or they stain green :) lol tend to go to sleep in the show ring
Limousin - never have met one I really liked. I always seem to be getting kicked, charged, or dragged by limos. Having said that though I am sure there are some gentle ones in the breed, but I wouldnt pick them as a favourite breed to show
Shorthorn - I love shorthorns. Love showing them. Good natured cattle although they can be spooky, flighty and kick. Very intelligent cattle I have found. I love working with their hair and scrubbing up a filthy paddock shortie into a clean pretty show animal. they tend to really show themselves off well in the show ring, which I really like
Simbrah - havent worked with them but I have done quite a bit with simms and liked them. Very gentle cattle and a real pleasure to show. Interestingly I have found the fleck type simms a whole lot calmer and nicer to handle than the modern black or solid red type simms.

Others that arent on your list:

Murray Grey - I have to admit my chosen breed probably isnt the one I enjoy showing them most. They are quiet cattle but they are 'piggy' when it comes to being handled around the face and nose (and that a big one for us as we are required to show with nose dogs), they are quite heavy headed, and they get very attached to their stable mates so that when you separate them for their class they can be really difficult to handle.
Square Meaters - I love showing these guys - they are great little cattle. But the bulls can be kinda angry. Little man syndrome.
Lowline - again, little man syndrome. I hate showing lowlines. They are all cranky, crazy little cattle.
Romagnola - I enjoyed showing these, big quite boofs of cattle
Santa Gertrudis - I have found to be very cunning, intelligent animals and can be difficult to handle if they figure you out and bluff you

I've shown Sahiwal,Brahman,Gelbvieh and South Devon.
The easiest by far to break in South Devon.
Brahmans are the easiest to prepare ,they are easy to break in as well but not quite as quick as the SD. Gelbvieh I found to be skitish and somewhat highly strung as were the Sahiwal

Keren
thanks all that info is very usefull,
i have a charolias and its nice to know
mines not just some skittish freak among chars:)

sim.-ang.king":2xevyjhy said:
Why did they have brahman and not simmental.
I hate those flabby ugly things.
because at the time i posted this i only included the breeds that were at our FFA ag. barn, and we did not have a simmental at the time.
and in defense of the brahman i love their big floppy ears!

Latest posts