which breed do you prefer to show and why, poll?

Help Support CattleToday:

which breed do you prefer to show and why?

• angus

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • brahman

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • charolais

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • hereford

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • limousine

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • shorthorn

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • simbrah

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
sim.-ang.king":u45xu687 said:
Yes they may look cute but they are worthless but to breed for rodeo bulls.

Are you joking?
1. Pretty much every live beef animal exported from Australia (valued at ~445 million dollars) is brahman or brahman cross. The purchasing companies specify how little brahman content MUST be in these animals. They also make up a HUGE portion of international exports, not just from Australia either.
2. They withstand conditions most other breeds wouldn't. Heat tolerant, tick resistant, pink eye resistant and adaptable. They thrive and reproduce off the most harsh terrain.
3. They are one of the most influential breeds in the world, look at the number of derived breeds. Santas, brangus, braford etc etc. Infact in terms of numbers, they are the most popular breed in the world.

So YES Brahmans are certainly good for something other than rodeo bulls. Just because they aren't the fluffy show animals you're used to doesn't mean they don't have their place (which happens to be a MASSIVE role). Club calves are useless, they taste like cr@p and have little ability to function in normal conditions.

As for my favourite animals I think I'll do like Keren and just list the breeds I've broke/handled/shown
Murray Grey: Little brats. Look good in the ring though.
Charolais: Love showing them, can be quite highly strung but parade fantastically.
Greyman (MGxBrahman): Intelligent and cunning. He was a challenge really. Can be flighty. Kicked a bit. I'd do it again but they're completely different to any other breed.
Limousin: I had a cross and a pb heifer. Both were good to me. Steer kicked at the start but he ended up pretty well bombproof.
Hereford: Lazy, a lot of work to show because they tend not to carry themselves as well as the higher strung breeds.
Saler: Dopey. Hard hair to work with because it's heavy, dense and wavy. Sweet temperament.
Gelbvieh: The ones I've worked with are very laid back. I like them more every time I work with them.
Santa Gertrudis: Not as extreme as Brahmans. Still very intelligent.
Angus: Few crazies but they show well. I've had a steer who was as docile as you'd get, and a crazy bull who was crazy but fantastic to show.
Dexter: Brats with small person syndrome. Bit of fun to muck around with though.
Highland: Get very attached to stall mates. Quite nice temperament although they have horns and WILL use them when given the chance.
Simangus: Mine was intelligent. Good natured although he could be a brat when he wanted to be. Can be pushy.
Red Angus: Better temperament than blacks. Parade well. I really like them.
FULL BLOOD Maine Anjou: Amazing temperament. You can not beat them. Notice that I'm referring to FULL BLOODS. Walk out into a paddock of cows and catch a bull by hand and lead him back to his own paddock.
South Devon: Very docile. Big friendly giants. Can be quite dopey.
Blonde d'Aquitaine: Like most euros they can be a little highly strung. I don't find them better or worse to show than a Limo.

CKC1586":19m8wakx said:
Santas and Duhram Reds":19m8wakx said:
No hair breeds. I just want to wash n go.
Agreed!!! Piedmontese are my breed...no fluff, no puff, no paint. Body clip them, 100% beef.

Ditto; however I must correct this lovely post. 67 -70 % beef!

sim.-ang.king":1gscld02 said:
Why don't you put some of those brahmans up north they would kill over in a week.

They aren't bred for the north of NA! Put a few of your fluffy sims in a hot, arid climate with minimal feed and THEY would keel over!

Just because they don't work where you are, doesn't make them good for nothing.

Actully simmy's started out at kings ranch in texas when they first brought them to the USA and that is in southern texas.

And here in southern IL the avg. during the summer time is 90 F with a heat index of 102 F and 78 F at night.
So I think sims. do great in the heat

sim.-ang.king":2k9hwych said:
Actully simmy's started out at kings ranch in texas when they first brought them to the USA and that is in southern texas.

And here in southern IL the avg. during the summer time is 90 F with a heat index of 102 F and 78 F at night.

Then why doesn't every ranch or station have Sims? Seeing as they get more at market and all?

Look, I'm not going to keep argue with someone so blatantly ignorant about the cattle industry. If you think Sims are great at everything and Brahmans are useless, it's pretty obvious that no matter what anyone says you're going to keep thinking that.

Sorry for derailing your thread Gabbyellepaige, I hope you got something from what I wrote about the different breeds. Try as many breeds as you can, they're all different. I don't have a favourite, I think nearly all of them have a place.

haha its okk aussie_cowgirl but yes your information on those breeds is quite useful.
but if possible could you tell me what you mean by Charolais are highly strung?
I just recently got my first heifer, a Char.
and she has led me on a path to learn all i can about the breed from every possible source>:3
thank you<333

gabbyellepaige":34c1zvkj said:
haha its okk aussie_cowgirl but yes your information on those breeds is quite useful.
but if possible could you tell me what you mean by Charolais are highly strung?
I just recently got my first heifer, a Char.
and she has led me on a path to learn all i can about the breed from every possible source>:3
thank you<333

It's just a term used for an animal that's easily excitable and nervous, tense. Always alert. They look great though because they always hold their head up and look very alert in the ring. But you just need to be mindful that they can spook quite easily.

aussie_cowgirl":1tmvbqum said:
sim.-ang.king":1tmvbqum said:

Then why doesn't every ranch or station have Sims? Seeing as they get more at market and all?

Look, I'm not going to keep argue with someone so blatantly ignorant about the cattle industry. If you think Sims are great at everything and Brahmans are useless, it's pretty obvious that no matter what anyone says you're going to keep thinking that.

Sorry for derailing your thread Gabbyellepaige, I hope you got something from what I wrote about the different breeds. Try as many breeds as you can, they're all different. I don't have a favourite, I think nearly all of them have a place.

That's fine with me as long as we keep it that way with both breeds

simmenthaler are fat and ugly. indian caws are stupid and ugly. go figure?
I voted hereford!

I love simmentals temperment. But most don't have the hair i love to work with, so i lean more towards maines and shorties. Preferably maines.