which brand of chute is better?

Help Support CattleToday:

I like the scissor type gate better either the Priefert or Foremost. We have a Priefert S04 and use the automatic quite a bit. I have to work sometimes by myself so it would be hard otherwise. The good thing about the scissor type is you don't have to keep adjusting it, never have had the automatic miss one yet, but I have missed a few manually.

tom4018":anovtflb said:
I like the scissor type gate better either the Priefert or Foremost. We have a Priefert S04 and use the automatic quite a bit. I have to work sometimes by myself so it would be hard otherwise. The good thing about the scissor type is you don't have to keep adjusting it, never have had the automatic miss one yet, but I have missed a few manually.

well just depends on your skill set I guess and the amount of help you have ---- normally if I am just working 50 or so head I just get my Australain shepherd to push cows once in the sweep tub and I can work the cattle in the For-Most manual catch with no difficulties-- never missed one yet -- but I had a few cows get hung up in a automatic head gate

I have worked with several type of squeeze chutes and most are good. I just bought a Stampede Steel and it is the best chute ever. I work a lot of cattle by myself when AIing and it has a setup to work the self catch from the front and rear. It also has butterfly gate on the back and not the crazy gate that falls down on you. I also like the Pearson, but it has some wood in it. I have a powder river head gate and almost had to cut it up the other day because a cow made it through it. Good luck and do lots of searching. It may be the only one you ever have to buy if you choose one you like..... :banana: :wave: :cboy:

deenranch":1v2doc5j said:
I have worked with several type of squeeze chutes and most are good. I just bought a Stampede Steel and it is the best chute ever. I work a lot of cattle by myself when AIing and it has a setup to work the self catch from the front and rear. It also has butterfly gate on the back and not the crazy gate that falls down on you. I also like the Pearson, but it has some wood in it. I have a powder river head gate and almost had to cut it up the other day because a cow made it through it. Good luck and do lots of searching. It may be the only one you ever have to buy if you choose one you like..... :banana: :wave: :cboy:
Stampede that is the new hydraulic my wife wants couldn't remember the name she just has to sell my old hyd first

Angus Cowman":ubrc6uvs said:
I haven't had anything but hydraulic for last 5 or 6 yrs
would hate to go back to a manual
I'll sell ya my hydraulic chute
wife found a new one she likes better :banana:

We don't have enough head to justify the expense. A vet bought one and had me come do some modifications he wanted. That is as close as I have been. I got to pull levers on the dry run. Then I got to watch him use it. Awesome. Actually I more impressed by the teamwork of his assistant. He also had a hired hand in the chutes. They went through a lot of cattle in a big hurry - without much work.

backhoeboogie":1l44a4hq said:
Angus Cowman":1l44a4hq said:
I haven't had anything but hydraulic for last 5 or 6 yrs
would hate to go back to a manual
I'll sell ya my hydraulic chute
wife found a new one she likes better :banana:

We don't have enough head to justify the expense. A vet bought one and had me come do some modifications he wanted. That is as close as I have been. I got to pull levers on the dry run. Then I got to watch him use it. Awesome. Actually I more impressed by the teamwork of his assistant. He also had a hired hand in the chutes. They went through a lot of cattle in a big hurry - without much work.
wife and I and 1 helper can sort,vaccinate and castrate the bulls and weigh 150 hd in about 4-6 hrs and the hyd chute makes it alot easier that way she can catch them it takes about an hr to sort and then the rest is just working them it usually takes less than 2 minutes per hd to work and weigh them but it also takes everybody doing their part and knowing what the other ones need next

can you post a picture of the Stampede Steel. Especially how the catch works from the rear. It would really help if I could work the head catch from the rear. I have two WW's but would like to see if I could custom make it work. Sure is slow working by myself.

kenny thomas":n6lklidi said:
can you post a picture of the Stampede Steel. Especially how the catch works from the rear. It would really help if I could work the head catch from the rear. I have two WW's but would like to see if I could custom make it work. Sure is slow working by myself.
Kenny
I don't know if the manual chute works from the back but the Hydraulics have the controls at the back I even moved the controls onmy hyd chute to the back they were in the front

deenranch":1kgcthrm said:

By far the best. I have worked with all of em.

Well I am 73 years young been a cowboy all my life have used good and bad head chutes. I firmly believe the Pearson automatic is the best on the market. They are easily adjust ed, the head catch latches every time and it is designed for working all size of cattle. The side adjust for different size cattle. They both move in when adjusted to keep the cattle perfectly lined up with the entry to the chute.The side bars epen for ease of vaccinating and the front side doors open for easy access to the neck and shoulder areas. The bottom sides drop down for access to the feet, udder testicles or all of the lower part. One man can operate this chute without fear of cattle getting through or not catching themselves. I worked on a ranch in Texas, just West of Forth Worth for 14 years, I installed them at all 5 ranches. Moved to Colorado where I was for 15 years. The first thing I did as far as cattle working equipment was to install a Pearson chute. I would not work cattle with out one. Just fixing to get another one. No I do not work for Pearson, just totally sold on the equipment.

We bought a new Palco. Unfortunately. The doors of the chute pop open when the cattle hit the headgate. Very dissatisfied with it and getting no satisfaction from the company.

Is the chute maybe not exactly square? I bought a real heavy duty chute some years ago and when they unloaded it off the truck it got dropped onto one corner. That dam thing never worked right. Some stuff would almost fall open and other things you couldn't open with a crowbar. The whole thing was warped just a little. I ended up cutting it apart and rewelding it and it worked perfect after that.

Latest posts