WHICH Barn Door?

Help Support CattleToday:

Obviously PROFIT always trumps PRODUCTION. If all we worried about was maximizing production we would put out 400 lbs of nitrogen per acre on the pastures every year and install pivot irrigation so that every acre got one inch of water every ten days during the growing season and then send a feed truck out to deliver a balanced mixed ration supplement two times a day. We would MAXIMIZE weaning weight, probably maximize conception rate (if we didn't get the cows TOO fat) too and we would LOSE a $1000 (or more) a cow too.

We just sold our drys-they averaged 1185-small for some-but I'll put it to you this way that size of cow will do well in almost any enviroment-she'll do a little better or you can run more of them when conditions are good. What they won't do is break you when times are tough like it's been here since '03-long hard winters and droughty summers. Those cows calves finish around 100 pounds heavier than they are. I don't know about you but when we ran the big engines-30 years of that-we had trouble getting cattle to grade before they got too big. Our fat cattle actually made some money getting fed $5 barley. They feedlot said their cost of gain was $.40/lb under some of the other cattle. You'll have a hard time convincing me that a moderate cow isn't the best solution. If you want a bigger calf breed her to a bigger bull and be disciplined enough to cut the heads off the big shiny looking heifers.

Northern Rancher":1k0w4ksz said:
We just sold our drys-they averaged 1185-small for some-but I'll put it to you this way that size of cow will do well in almost any enviroment-she'll do a little better or you can run more of them when conditions are good. What they won't do is break you when times are tough like it's been here since '03-long hard winters and droughty summers. Those cows calves finish around 100 pounds heavier than they are. I don't know about you but when we ran the big engines-30 years of that-we had trouble getting cattle to grade before they got too big. Our fat cattle actually made some money getting fed $5 barley. They feedlot said their cost of gain was $.40/lb under some of the other cattle. You'll have a hard time convincing me that a moderate cow isn't the best solution. If you want a bigger calf breed her to a bigger bull and be disciplined enough to cut the heads off the big shiny looking heifers.

Amen; Amen; A-amen, Amen; Amen; Haleluja!; AMEN!

ANAZAZI":1w7aoxg5 said:
Northern Rancher":1w7aoxg5 said:

Amen; Amen; A-amen, Amen; Amen; Haleluja!; AMEN!

The most intelligend and common sense statement made thus far on this thread. They should lock it right here. What's the point of more Blahblahblah.

Latest posts