Where's the Money?

Help Support CattleToday:

MoGal":2krmq9jc said:
Corn doesn't have to have irrigation here (however I read an article last year in the MidAmerica Farmer/Grower that a farm in Benton, MO did (about 40 miles south) and they got 228 bushels to the acre. So yes there's a definite advantage to irrigation (if its available or cost effective).

thank you, MoGal, I appreciate the response.

On sand wouldn't you have to irrigate in order to grow anything??

It depends on what you're trying to grow, and how much sand is in the soil. Our soil is pretty sandy, and quite a few of the native grasses do ok on it without irrigation. Crops need irrigation, though.

msscamp":3uufppw5 said:
Hasbeen":3uufppw5 said:
Is crop farming in sandy soil even an option.

Yes, but it presents a few challenges. I have a question for you - is it possible to raise non-irrigated corn? All of the corn I've ever seen raised has been irrigated, so I don't honestly know if it can be grown dry-land or not. Thank you in advance.

Alabama, your dog sure looks like he's enjoying that beer! :lol: :lol:
Last year irrigated corn acres accounted for only 15% of the total acres producing corn. This year it has been estimated with all the new acres being planted to corn that number will drop to 11%

somn":3ur0tajw said:
msscamp":3ur0tajw said:
Hasbeen":3ur0tajw said:
Is crop farming in sandy soil even an option.

Yes, but it presents a few challenges. I have a question for you - is it possible to raise non-irrigated corn? All of the corn I've ever seen raised has been irrigated, so I don't honestly know if it can be grown dry-land or not. Thank you in advance.

Alabama, your dog sure looks like he's enjoying that beer! :lol: :lol:
Last year irrigated corn acres accounted for only 15% of the total acres producing corn. This year it has been estimated with all the new acres being planted to corn that number will drop to 11%

Wow! I figured it was entirely possible to raise non-irrigated corn in certain areas, but I didn't realize those areas would be the majority. Thank you for responding. :)

Keep 10 pairs put em on 16acres and direct market the beef for a higher profit. Get good animals to start with.
Take the remaining 4 acres and plant it in pot. I hear that stuff sells like crazy and for a good price..

KANSAS":8x9gbg31 said:
Keep 10 pairs put em on 16acres and direct market the beef for a higher profit. Get good animals to start with.
Take the remaining 4 acres and plant it in pot. I hear that stuff sells like crazy and for a good price..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Somebody asked how cob corn sells, I have seen it sell for $8/bag at the auction over the last few months. I think those bags weigh #70/80 and have maybe #50 of grain. 10-30 sell every week. I think people that buy piglets that day at the auction figure they are getting a deal and bid each other up. I think there are a few great ways to market 10 acres of corn for the small producer at a profit. Selling for $8 a bag like above would be $1320 an acre on 150 bushel corn. Another suggestion would be planting this corn organticly and getting certified and getting a huge return. That dog drinks the same kind of beer I do. :(

auctionboy":1qqdu4sn said:
Somebody asked how cob corn sells, I have seen it sell for $8/bag at the auction over the last few months. I think those bags weigh #70/80 and have maybe #50 of grain. 10-30 sell every week. I think people that buy piglets that day at the auction figure they are getting a deal and bid each other up. I think there are a few great ways to market 10 acres of corn for the small producer at a profit. Selling for $8 a bag like above would be $1320 an acre on 150 bushel corn. Another suggestion would be planting this corn organticly and getting certified and getting a huge return. That dog drinks the same kind of beer I do. :(
Using your numbers it would gross $1344.00 per acre. However your numbers are a little bit suspect. 70 lbs of cob corn won't shell 50 pounds of grain. 1 cubic foot of shelled corn is equal to .8 bushels corn. 1 cubic foot of ear corn is equal to .4 bushels of corn. Roughly half using the law of averages. So in reality it would gross $1919.99 per acre. Not bad if you can find enough goofy people feeding rabbits and pheasants to buy it. Here they get $4.50 per dozen. If you have a 34,000 population like we plant that is $12749.00 per acre.

i dont know bout kentucky but in nebraska it just doesnt pay to irrigate. and the soils good enough that you really dont need to. it depends on soil. and for equipment. you could probably find someone to hire to custom do it for you. a combine, both heads, planter, tractor and all the other stuff that goes with it. i would take you years to pay that stuff off with only 20 acres. so either hire some one to do it or dont do it at all. personally i think cattle would get more profit then farming 20 acres. it takes alot to farm nowdays. JMO.

somn":2m6f29jt said:
auctionboy":2m6f29jt said:
Using your numbers it would gross $1344.00 per acre. However your numbers are a little bit suspect. 70 lbs of cob corn won't shell 50 pounds of grain. 1 cubic foot of shelled corn is equal to .08 bushels corn. 1 cubic foot of ear corn is equal to .04 bushels of corn. Roughly half using the law of averages. So in reality it would gross $1919.99 per acre. Not bad if you can find enough goofy people feeding rabbits and pheasants to buy it. Here they get $4.50 per dozen. If you have a 34,000 population like we plant that is $12749.00 per acre.
I am starting a rabbit and pheasant feeding store, I will even give them the animals for free.

Latest posts