Where do you sell most of your animals?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":m9byy0j8 said:
I get paid on the rail.
are you getting paid on a grid pricing system? or just by the pound walking in?

I have a broker/trucker (who happens to be a close friend) that determines what packer he hauls to (based on price). I am paid on carcass grading. I have been EXTREMELY happy with this arrangement.
Remember, when the "guys" are bidding at the live auction, they have to take into consideration that a certain % of all cattle that go to slaughter gets condemned. They immediately deduct that % from what they are willing to pay. Granted, if the cow is condemned, I get nothing. But knowing what I am shipping, this is my best profit.

We sell just about everything through the auction market. More buyers = more competition, so we send the cattle to the one that has the most buyers even though it's a long haul.

Honey has a cousin who sells privately to a feedlot, but the pencil shrink is ridiculous. I think it's something like 4% pencil shrink the morning AFTER the calves have landed at the feedlot. :shock: But because he's been dealing with the guy for years, he doesn't seem interested in any alternatives.

The only cattle I've sold rail grade is to a local slaughter house, because I had two old bulls I needed to send, and the auction mart is quite a distance to travel. Checked out their prices and the market report, and decided that I'd save on shipping by selling them to the slaughterhouse. It was okay for a couple head, but not a realistic market for any sort of numbers, as they already have contracted buyers for finished stock, and were looking for 'balogna bulls' at the time that I needed to send them.

I also sold a few purebred bulls that I raised privately to some neighbours, but this was mostly due to prices being in the toilet due to BSE, and the markets were flooded with lots of bulls at the time, so I sold them for a reasonable price and didn't have to worry about marketing or shipping.

Take care.

Latest posts