When will the big runs end

Help Support CattleToday:

BC

Reaction score
Went to the sale in Corsicana today and they had nearly 1050 head which is a big run for them. Calf prices were good. Got a text from a buddy that Crockett was bumping 4000 head and about 1500 were cows. They were expecting the sale to be over about 7 tomorrow morning. Talked to another order buyer and he had talked to his buyer that was at Carthage, they had a high sale there too. This is not like any previous drought as we are getting good money for our livestock instead of being at the fire sale.

BC":30f8fkln said:
Went to the sale in Corsicana today and they had nearly 1050 head which is a big run for them. Calf prices were good. Got a text from a buddy that Crockett was bumping 4000 head and about 1500 were cows. They were expecting the sale to be over about 7 tomorrow morning. Talked to another order buyer and he had talked to his buyer that was at Carthage, they had a high sale there too. This is not like any previous drought as we are getting good money for our livestock instead of being at the fire sale.

I seen times we almost had to pay to get the salebarn to take them. Thank the good Lord that prices are holding.
I haven't been to Crockett in about three weeks and it was packed then and the weeks before. I was hauling mine and for the neighbors, most everyone over here is sold down and digging in or sold out. I am feed loting mine. Buying bulk in 2000 pound super sacks to hold on to hay with hay at 90 to 110 a roll and bulk at 220 a ton comes out the same without the waste on bulk feed,.
I can sell the rest of the way out and get 800 bucks a cow or pay 2000 next spring and hope I get a good cow.

Still lots of cows coming to my area from Texas. Had a call tonight wanting to know if I wanted a load of thin fairly young cows for 350 plus trucking. Probably about 40 each on trucking if they are thin. Most of the ones here were going to slaughter but there are a lot of good young cows coming now. If I could bet a couple of loads with some decent disposition I could winter them and send them back when the drought is over.

kenny thomas":2su9orb0 said:
Still lots of cows coming to my area from Texas. Had a call tonight wanting to know if I wanted a load of thin fairly young cows for 350 plus trucking. Probably about 40 each on trucking if they are thin. Most of the ones here were going to slaughter but there are a lot of good young cows coming now. If I could bet a couple of loads with some decent disposition I could winter them and send them back when the drought is over.

How can they sell a yuoug cow for only $350? Are they just soup bones?

Caustic Burno":2rk5wro8 said:
BC":2rk5wro8 said:

I seen times we almost had to pay to get the salebarn to take them. Thank the good Lord that prices are holding.
I haven't been to Crockett in about three weeks and it was packed then and the weeks before. I was hauling mine and for the neighbors, most everyone over here is sold down and digging in or sold out. I am feed loting mine. Buying bulk in 2000 pound super sacks to hold on to hay with hay at 90 to 110 a roll and bulk at 220 a ton comes out the same without the waste on bulk feed,.
I can sell the rest of the way out and get 800 bucks a cow or pay 2000 next spring and hope I get a good cow.
what are u getting in the super sacks? how much do u feed per cow per day?

Stocker Steve":jrsqv9p1 said:
kenny thomas":jrsqv9p1 said:

I haven't seen any at that price either. Not even ragged out holsteins. Maybe these were longhorns.

piedmontese":33iyvr7y said:
Caustic Burno":33iyvr7y said:
BC":33iyvr7y said:

what are u getting in the super sacks? how much do u feed per cow per day?

Getting sweepings might be corn,wheat,peas cotton seed hulls mixed with 14% protien pellets.
Cows have free choice in a bunk feeder. I figure I am going through 10 pounds a day on 15 head. That's on cows, calves and bull. This includes a 4x5 roll every 5 to 6 days and what they are still able to hustle out of bottom pastures.

TexasBred":ypnz0pwz said:
Stocker Steve":ypnz0pwz said:
kenny thomas":ypnz0pwz said:

I haven't seen any at that price either. Not even ragged out holsteins. Maybe these were longhorns.

Yep longhorns. Anybody want to bet they wont make money. Turn anything young out at that price will make money. Heck if nothing else send them back to you guys when it rains. Only cost $40 per head to get them here but will cost more to get them back. Get them on haulback from the Hereford feedyards.
Got a call tonight, they brought a load today of black and x cows no longhorns all young gonna cost me $600 each. I just need more room to turn out.

Random thoughts:
Grain and pellets are certainly cheaper than hay at those prices. Caustic, what are you paying per hundred on those super sacks? I am getting commodity mixed pellets, 16 percent for 6.40 per bag in 50 lb sacks-would save in bulk, but not set up to handle it that way
I can't picture what kind of young cows you are getting for 600 delivered to Va. I watch parts of several sales all over Texas each week on DVAuction and any good, young, bred black cows are still 750-1000 at those sales. 50-70 cents per pound sets the floor for most any cow.
Longhorns are cheaper for poor quality and lite framed, but good type bred ones still cost 500 plus.
For me, the BIG RUNS, usually don't end until after the 2nd triple dose of Lomotil.

stocky":23ipk8q9 said:
Random thoughts:
Grain and pellets are certainly cheaper than hay at those prices. Caustic, what are you paying per hundred on those super sacks? I am getting commodity mixed pellets, 16 percent for 6.40 per bag in 50 lb sacks-would save in bulk, but not set up to handle it that way
I can't picture what kind of young cows you are getting for 600 delivered to Va. I watch parts of several sales all over Texas each week on DVAuction and any good, young, bred black cows are still 750-1000 at those sales. 50-70 cents per pound sets the floor for most any cow.
Longhorns are cheaper for poor quality and lite framed, but good type bred ones still cost 500 plus.
For me, the BIG RUNS, usually don't end until after the 2nd triple dose of Lomotil.

11 dollars per hundred.

I would try to input something intelligent here, if I could. But I can't! What's happening in TX is something I can't even wrap my brain around. In MO and VA, you're talking feed language I've never heard of out here! S'all interesting, but . . . .

Caustic Burno":1icdfdas said:
Great gobs of cat shyt, I got woke up by thunder lighting and rain.
Hope you got plenty of rain. The 1/2 or 1 inch rains don't do much good anymore.
All we got was the lightning and thunder.

novatech":3k29kzaz said:
Caustic Burno":3k29kzaz said:
Great gobs of cat shyt, I got woke up by thunder lighting and rain.
Hope you got plenty of rain. The 1/2 or 1 inch rains don't do much good anymore.
All we got was the lightning and thunder.
Oh my gosh! You got shorted the wind? :p Someone is getting some good rain today....

Yeah, the big runs will end when it rains enought to grow something to feed them.

Somebody needs to deal me in. The cows are in the coastal hay field for the first time ever. I am hauling them water as fast as I can. Dust clouds coming and going with the water.

Radio said it was raining @ places up in the metro-plex. Park one of those clouds over my pasture.

jwggriff":mpn20qyd said:
Caustic:

Where do you buy the bulk feed in 100lb bags?
It's in a 2000/lb super sack. The cost is $11 per 100 pounds. It's not in sacks. Average that out it's $220/ton.

the over flowing sale barn runs will end when theres not a cow left in texas.thats how bad this drought is.feed is costing me $18 to $20/100 an thats range meal with a limiter in it.the cheapest i can get feed in the totes is $220 a ton.im looking at getting some forage extender that takes the place of hay for $320 a ton.

Latest posts