WHEN TO SPRAY AND FERTILIZE

Help Support CattleToday:

j4rcattle

Reaction score
I am in the Stigler OK area about 30 miles from Fort Smith AR. I am wondering when would be the best time to spray for weeds? Also when should I fertilize a solid Bermuda pasture? Should I do both? Any ideas please holler at me. My pasture is great with a moderate weed problem, but the Bermuda is AWESOME

dun

Reaction score
Weeds can only be cintrolled when they are actively growing and before the start making seed.

Jogeephus

Reaction score
I pull a soil test to determine where your soil is at. As for weeds, most of the weeds you see now are winter annuals and will go away. Unless you have a specific weed problem its best to save your money and leave well enough alone.

gertman

Reaction score
j4rcattle":242wpqbe said:
I am in the Stigler OK area about 30 miles from Fort Smith AR. I am wondering when would be the best time to spray for weeds? Also when should I fertilize a solid Bermuda pasture? Should I do both? Any ideas please holler at me. My pasture is great with a moderate weed problem, but the Bermuda is AWESOME
To determine the best time to spray for weeds, you must first know what kind of weeds you have. I think you should contact your local extension agent to assist in weed identification and he or she can make suggestions for fertilization based on soil test results.

dane12

Reaction score
here another ? do you spay for weeds first and then fertilize or the other way around or do you do spay and fertilize at the same time?

dun

Reaction score
dane12":iy2xedou said:
here another ? do you spay for weeds first and then fertilize or the other way around or do you do spay and fertilize at the same time?

I try to spray first then a week or 2 later fertilize.

BeefmasterB

Reaction score
Jogeephus":3bgqxr9q said:
I pull a soil test to determine where your soil is at. As for weeds, most of the weeds you see now are winter annuals and will go away. Unless you have a specific weed problem its best to save your money and leave well enough alone.

This is a very good point!! Save your herbicide money until the Spring/Summer weeds start coming up.
2-4-D does well in ridding most weeds in Bermuda grass fields. As Dun mentioned, fertilize, (based on a soil test (my opinion) when the Bermuda starts coming up.

dcara

Reaction score
Like dun said.

Here I spray for broadleaf weeds in March when they are actively growing to keep them out of the rye harvest. I fertilize about the same time, if I fertilize. In fact, I've always wanted to try spraying liquid fert and herbicide at the same time to save diesel and time as some do. I hay the rye around the 1st of May and then lightly disk to help the bermuda get going

Douglas

Reaction score
dcara":2acnerti said:
Like dun said.

Here I spray for broadleaf weeds in March when they are actively growing to keep them out of the rye harvest. I fertilize about the same time, if I fertilize. In fact, I've always wanted to try spraying liquid fert and herbicide at the same time to save diesel and time as some do. I hay the rye around the 1st of May and then lightly disk to help the bermuda get going

Rye or Ryegrass?

dcara

Reaction score
Douglas":31b0nil3 said:
dcara":31b0nil3 said:
Like dun said.

Rye or Ryegrass?

woops - ryegrass