WHEN TO SPRAY AND FERTILIZE

Help Support CattleToday:

j4rcattle

Reaction score
I am in the Stigler OK area about 30 miles from Fort Smith AR. I am wondering when would be the best time to spray for weeds? Also when should I fertilize a solid Bermuda pasture? Should I do both? Any ideas please holler at me. My pasture is great with a moderate weed problem, but the Bermuda is AWESOME

Weeds can only be cintrolled when they are actively growing and before the start making seed.

I pull a soil test to determine where your soil is at. As for weeds, most of the weeds you see now are winter annuals and will go away. Unless you have a specific weed problem its best to save your money and leave well enough alone.

j4rcattle":242wpqbe said:
I am in the Stigler OK area about 30 miles from Fort Smith AR. I am wondering when would be the best time to spray for weeds? Also when should I fertilize a solid Bermuda pasture? Should I do both? Any ideas please holler at me. My pasture is great with a moderate weed problem, but the Bermuda is AWESOME
To determine the best time to spray for weeds, you must first know what kind of weeds you have. I think you should contact your local extension agent to assist in weed identification and he or she can make suggestions for fertilization based on soil test results.

here another ? do you spay for weeds first and then fertilize or the other way around or do you do spay and fertilize at the same time?

dane12":iy2xedou said:
here another ? do you spay for weeds first and then fertilize or the other way around or do you do spay and fertilize at the same time?

I try to spray first then a week or 2 later fertilize.

Jogeephus":3bgqxr9q said:
I pull a soil test to determine where your soil is at. As for weeds, most of the weeds you see now are winter annuals and will go away. Unless you have a specific weed problem its best to save your money and leave well enough alone.

This is a very good point!! Save your herbicide money until the Spring/Summer weeds start coming up.
2-4-D does well in ridding most weeds in Bermuda grass fields. As Dun mentioned, fertilize, (based on a soil test (my opinion) when the Bermuda starts coming up.

Like dun said.

Here I spray for broadleaf weeds in March when they are actively growing to keep them out of the rye harvest. I fertilize about the same time, if I fertilize. In fact, I've always wanted to try spraying liquid fert and herbicide at the same time to save diesel and time as some do. I hay the rye around the 1st of May and then lightly disk to help the bermuda get going

dcara":2acnerti said:
Like dun said.

Here I spray for broadleaf weeds in March when they are actively growing to keep them out of the rye harvest. I fertilize about the same time, if I fertilize. In fact, I've always wanted to try spraying liquid fert and herbicide at the same time to save diesel and time as some do. I hay the rye around the 1st of May and then lightly disk to help the bermuda get going

Rye or Ryegrass?

Douglas":31b0nil3 said:
dcara":31b0nil3 said:
Like dun said.

Rye or Ryegrass?

woops - ryegrass

Latest posts