when to feed alfalfa hay?

Help Support CattleToday:

Well now, I'll have more pondering. We raise the timothy and also have lots of alfalfa. I get whatever isn't perfect for export or the horse market for the cows. The heifers are fat on the timothy and I was saving the alfalfa for the really cold weather (below zero) but concerned about timing with their calving in March/April. I was giving them as much as they wanted but they were getting so fat I did cut back a bit on their feed. Appreciate all the experience you all share! As to the how much is alfalfa hay here in central oregon... depends on the cutting. We custom farm for a dairy and he takes all the 2nd cutting for his cows..then we end up either selling the rest to export (if high enough quality for the Japanese or Koreans) or sometimes to others. We had some available but most cattlemen get scared off when the price is over $200/ton. The cost of diesel and of fertilizer this past year skyrocketed and it doesnt look like its going to come down any..more like continue to go up at an unprecetented rate. Hard on all who have been used to reasonable feed rates. I know that when I first got into horses - 13 years ago, the grass horse hay was 40-80/ton and now our timothy grass went to LA last year for 240/ton before shpg and markup by the middleman! I know we are sending a mixed load of Grass and Alfalfa to Tennesee this week but I don't know what was quoted for prices. If anyone is seriously interested send me a personal and I'll find out. thanks!

Latest posts