When to cut

Help Support CattleToday:

It's more work when they get bigger too..
These about dinner size I reckon.
Those poly feed troughs..you have any trouble with 'em walking in them and busting out the bottoms?(I did and started building wooden troughs)
Why is that panel that you have the rope tied to upside down?
The whole bottom rail would rust out back in E Texas if I had done that..

I have a black poly feeder like that. Frame lasted MAYBE a season. It is still used, but cattle step in it. Mostly used as a sled if we have a calf born outside! 😆
We like fried nuts! Rarely have them anymore.
I would like to point out the statement about testosterone benefit. Virtually none until around 7 months old.

Those poly feed troughs..you have any trouble with 'em walking in them and busting out the bottoms?(I did and started building wooden troughs)
Why is that panel that you have the rope tied to upside down?
The whole bottom rail would rust out back in E Texas if I had done that..
No trouble with the troughs yet! Bought Secondhand cheap cheap...
They have quite a few years on em. Once they really get some age, they will start crumbling like all plastic exposed to the sun does tho. Biggest problem I've had, was that brown heifer that's in my freezer now, liked to flip lil calves up into em. They'd get in there and can't really right themselves it's so slick.

Yep. @Silver nailed it. Usually it's rowdy lil calves that like to sneak under!! They don't stay like that all the time tho. I move those 2 panels around quite a bit.

That particular lil bull was really easy. He's very pet-like. Gave 140 bucks for him. He's doing well and I decided I'd go ahead and steer him. He will get sold soon as they fall off... he's gonna make 💰 🤑 💸

Maybe enough to buy me an implant gun and some implants for the next group...

Since we are on the topic of cutting/banding what is you all's favorite bander to use on young calves say 200lbs and under? I've tried the little Cheerios, don't like them seem to break more of them than others. Currently I use the tri-banders, never had a fail with those bands. However, it can sometimes be difficult to keep nuts held and get bander on in the same space, especially if banding in the chute. Roped and laid it is easy, but not always an option. Bigger bulls 300lbs and up are easy with Tri-bander or Calcrate bander because there is more to work with...Wife says she like a handful.🤣🤣🤣..anyways just curious of what other have used or tried and like on smaller calves.

Since we are on the topic of cutting/banding what is you all's favorite bander to use on young calves say 200lbs and under? I've tried the little Cheerios, don't like them seem to break more of them than others. Currently I use the tri-banders, never had a fail with those bands. However, it can sometimes be difficult to keep nuts held and get bander on in the same space, especially if banding in the chute. Roped and laid it is easy, but not always an option. Bigger bulls 300lbs and up are easy with Tri-bander or Calcrate bander because there is more to work with...Wife says she like a handful.🤣🤣🤣..anyways just curious of what other have used or tried and like on smaller calves.
I've never broken a cheerio. Why are yours breaking? Are they old?

I've never had a cheerio break, do you store them in the fridge?
No just store at room temperature. And if it's cold out keep in the truck where it's warm. Since I've switched to the Tri-bander bands haven't lost one of them. But if the band has gotten cold you can certainly tell it's not going to hold as soon as you stretch it.

No not old, not sure why, just on occasion I'd find a calf that the chero had broke. I was guessing maybe cold weather, but not certain.
Well I can tell you it's not the cold. A cheerio is placed in a very warm place. So yours are breaking... after (?)... being placed on the calf? Not during the process? If so, they've got to be old.

If you see cracks in the cheerio as it's being stretched it's old. Don't use it.

No trouble with the troughs yet! Bought Secondhand cheap cheap...
They have quite a few years on em. Once they really get some age, they will start crumbling like all plastic exposed to the sun does tho. Biggest problem I've had, was that brown heifer that's in my freezer now, liked to flip lil calves up into em. They'd get in there and can't really right themselves it's so slick.

Yep. @Silver nailed it. Usually it's rowdy lil calves that like to sneak under!! They don't stay like that all the time tho. I move those 2 panels around quite a bit.

That particular lil bull was really easy. He's very pet-like. Gave 140 bucks for him. He's doing well and I decided I'd go ahead and steer him. He will get sold soon as they fall off... he's gonna make 💰 🤑 💸

Maybe enough to buy me an implant gun and some implants for the next group...
I have a black poly feeder like that. Frame lasted MAYBE a season. It is still used, but cattle step in it. Mostly used as a sled if we have a calf born outside! 😆
We like fried nuts! Rarely have them anymore.
I would like to point out the statement about testosterone benefit. Virtually none until around 7 months old.
I went thru a bunch of poly feeders and finally switched over to concrete feeders. I pay just a bit more for concrete but they last forever I reckon. Only downside , you need a front end loader to move them.

Latest posts