when should i vacinate my calves

Help Support CattleToday:

If your "momma" cows are healthy, then I would wait until around 6 months of age before giving any vaccinations. Anything before then is considered a waste, in my opinion. Others on here may disagree, but its what has worked for me.

Spoke to my vet this week about vaccinations and he said never to vaccinate before six months old. Better after they have been weaned.

if i didnt do anything else and this is my.. personal preferance .even with healthy momas is too give a shot of blackleg around 3mo its cheap and worth the extra insurance. the grass will start to green up around this time

Depends what vaccine you're giving. There's some that are designed to be given at birth or the first few weeks for scour protection and such. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I heard my vet say Alpha-7 is one of those designed for young calves.

For most vaccines, such as 5-way and 8-way, I like to wait until the calf's at least 4 months. Too much less than that and the immunity derived from the colostrum interfers with the calf developing its own immunity.

yeah i'd sure like to hit em with a blackleg before they get around 6 months.

Latest posts