When do you buy your bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
I would appreciate any response on this. I am getting several top brangus breeders together to have a Bull/commercial female sale in arkansas. I am looking to find the best time before everyone starts buying there bulls. when do you purchase or start looking for your bulls. also if you have bulls already do you attend local sales looking to improve your herd bulls or do you use what you already have on hand. one final question. What do you typically expect to pay and what do you pay for your bulls. Thanks

I want my cows & heifers start calving in late feb thru march.i like to buy my bulls no later than april.but that all depends on a persons preference. where there calving in spring or fall. most fall calvers like october. cost? depends on quality i had rather not pay more than 1500.00 i try to limit my self to that.

as late as possible so that i can put them right out with cows but early enough so they havent all been picked through. pretty much agree with what AL said. i dont really look for another bull if i have good ones until its time to switch. if its a really good one i will separate his calves out so i can keep him around longer. i expect to pay around $2000 for a 2year old and dont like to go much over. can get 5 year old beefmasters for $1000 so that works nicely.

I would buy either in November or in early spring since that is when the people I purchase from sell their bulls. To answer the question of what I would expect to pay, I would like to keep it no more than $3000, but would if I wanted a certain bull out of a certain sire and cow and the bull had all the assets that I wanted in a bull such as long, deep, wide, length in hindquarters or rump, muscle hanging off the rear end and does not dip in once it leaves his tail to the hocks, good legs, thick long neck and a small head.

thats a hard question.me i buy a bull when i need them.time of yr really doest matter.but most have a fall sale for 2yr old bulls.and a spring sale for yearling bulls.price can be from $1500 to $3000 or more.scott

I agree with Susie David. March is my month. I don't want November, December calves; but here in the SOUTH I like late January to March calves because they will be heavy enough that I can sell them BEFORE the market goes south in the fall. Of course, people with FALL calving seasons needs them earlier which is probably why people like Debter and Cow Creek have October bull sales.

We do pretty much the same thing as ALACOWMAN but our last bull we bought in the fall as a yearling plus and wintered him till turnout time for late Feb and March calves. Saved $300 by not waiting till spring to pick him up.

Latest posts