When Come up to an Closed Gate, do you

Help Support CattleToday:

When you come to an out of the way gate, do you....

• Open it up and considerately hang it on the fence

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Open it, go through it and then shut it

• Open and drop it

• Just crash through it

• Total voters
randiliana":142ewdu6 said:
You think cattle are bad, try horses. I am quite certain that you could have a herd of horses on a 10 section feild, drop a gate that was on the far side from them and they would find it within 20 minutes. It is like they have radar :shock: :D :D

Picture this, two gates about 100 yards apart. I open one with horses in the field. The horses are on the other side of the 10 acre field. I decide I can run the tractor through the other gate to dump something in another field. I drive out, open second gate, drive about 40 feet, dump the load, start to turn around and the horses are coming out the gate. Took them less than 2-3 minutes to see those two gates open.

Know what you mean Randiliana. Hunters went through on some land we lease and left the gate half azzed shut. Cows found it and got into the neighbors wheat field. Called and got permission to take the gate out, boy were those idiots surprised next time. :D
We have had to staple shut gates to keep people out. A staple on each post top and bottom on the wires they get the hint quickly.
I would only barrel through a fence if I was chasing a rolling fire.

This happened about a month ago.

Cast of Characters
Me
My son
Scott - Guy helping us
Jason - Guy who has helped in the past and will help if needed
Jason's Sister
Don Juan - Guy Jason's sister is trying to impress

We're having to truck some of the cows and smaller calves over to another pasture about 5 miles away. It's rough weedy pasture, but it beats the pasture they were on and it sure beats me feeding them hay.

Anyway I'm riding with Scott since he's pulling the trailer for us and Son gets a call from Jason. Jason asks if it is ok if sister goes down to our sandbar. (She has a foreign friend visiting and she wanted to take him down there.) Son says Ok. (He's not real thrilled about extra people running around on the place, but it is Jason's sister, so ok.) Son tells me about phone call.

About 30 minutes later, we get back to main place and I'm closing gate when a small truck pulls in to entrance. A girl who I don't know sticks her head out the window and mentions Jason said it was ok for her to go to sandbar.

Well it's about 5,000 degrees (maybe only 105) and it P's me off that she doesn't GET OUT of the truck to come speak with me, since she doesn't know me and I am letting her "borrow" my place to entertain her friend. I hesitate just a couple of seconds as various things run through my mind, but I decide to smile and open the gate since I am standing there.

I open the gate and start back past the trailer towards the truck (I WAS standing there to talk with her but I wasn't going to be her personal gate man.) when she begins to pass me on the other side of the trailer. I take a quick glance back at the gate (yes, it's open) and turn and let out a big HEY!!!!

She stops and asks if I want the gate closed. (You know, it is truly amazing the number of things that can run through your brain in just a matter of a second or two.) I give her a "what do you think" look and take a step towards the gate. Don Juan opens his door and says he'll close the gate. (Evidently my look didn't need to be translated.) I get in the truck and drive on.

As Seinfeld said "People, they're the worst."

There are exceptions but, LEAVE IT THE WAY YOU FOUND IT. If something doesn't look right and you shut an open gate CALL ME. If something tears up and you see it, try to fix it and then CALL ME. It's just not that hard.

Brute 23":3h5wxmaq said:
AND NEVER crawl over a gate....

So glad to hear that from you folks. Ever wonder why gates sag? It is not from cows looking at them.

Also makes me fighting mad to see folks climb fence and tear it up.

Also glad to see 97% of the folks leave the gates they way they find them. Proud of ya'll.

backhoeboogie":2yx5vca0 said:
Brute 23":2yx5vca0 said:
AND NEVER crawl over a gate....

So glad to hear that from you folks. Ever wonder why gates sag? It is not from cows looking at them.

Also makes me fighting mad to see folks climb fence and tear it up.

Also glad to see 97% of the folks leave the gates they way they find them. Proud of ya'll.

We have had alot of land owners thank us when we are on their places running dogs because we all go under the fences on our bellies instead of over or between.

I had never thought about it until a couple of them metioned it.

randiliana":19c5aux5 said:
Limomike":19c5aux5 said:
Learned my lesson the hard way when I was young. If the gate is closed when I come to it, go thru it, close it back. Cattle move faster than you think when a gate is open.. ha

I am quite certain that you could have a herd of horses on a 10 section feild, drop a gate that was on the far side from them and they would find it within 20 minutes.

Those must be some dumb horses - our's usually found an open gate in a matter of minutes!

CUZ":1savfw25 said:
mitch2":1savfw25 said:
I like to do a lot of walking on the farm.... most times I just climb over or through.
Michele

I hope you climb over on the hinge end of the gate.

I do, unless it has a wheel mounted on it. I do the majority of fence repairs.

And climbing through, if it is 2 strand electric, I can hop through. If it is barb, I am on the ground. ;-)

Michele

That's a pet peeve for me.
I work in the Oilfield , and the rigs are allways going to be on someone else's property.
You have to open the gates. I was raised to close th gate that I went thru.
Case in point::

We were drilling on a location north of Cleburne on Highway 4.
The entrance had a sign on it that said "Please keep closed"
I had to go out to that rig several times over a 2 week period.
Every time that i went to that rig, the gate would be wide open :mad: :?:
I would stop get out, and close it after myself,
Any way after 2 weeks of the gate getting left open, The next time I went out there I had to open 6 gates :roll: :roll:
I heard several people complaining about it, and I let them know that every time I drove out there the gate was open,,
so shame on them!!

Syd Sydney":eh74v5rp said:
And unfortunately now all of our gates are heavey metal gates that are locked at all times.It is a pain when you need to get in asap but too many bad apples out there.

All of our gates are padlocked too because people just tend to leave it open for some reason or other. Plus the lady we bought our place from just had a couple of nag horses and would let anybody come onto the property to hunt and fish. Well we have some serious livestock out there and I get pretty nervous when hunting season comes around with bullets flying everywhere. I haven't seen any trespassers and lord willing I don't catch any, for their sake.

Jogeephus":3ebiud8b said:
Rule applies to whiskey bottles too. Those lil caps are a devil to find in the dark. :lol:

It's ok to open and close the gate as needed, but the whiskey bottle is another story....

I prefer that you just leave that alone unless invited! :D

Latest posts