whats would be the ideal cross w/ a beefmaster angus cross

Help Support CattleToday:

charlie beefx

Reaction score
Hello I'm new to this site and a new beef producer at that. I just bought my first ranch in Mexico last year and bought some bred beefmaster cows. What would be the ideal x for those cows and for some beefmaster red angus cows that r being offered to me if i decide to buy. My land is tough but good cattle country. Any advice will help..

I dont think you have to worry about colar in mexico so i would go gor a red limi or a char bull. If you want replacments any of the crosses with ear would work.

fergit the red angus...go with some brafords..the angus x didnt work very well for me..the braford x outgrows em by at least half

charlie beefx":252tlc5g said:
Hello I'm new to this site and a new beef producer at that. I just bought my first ranch in Mexico last year and bought some bred beefmaster cows. What would be the ideal x for those cows and for some beefmaster red angus cows that r being offered to me if i decide to buy. My land is tough but good cattle country. Any advice will help..

:welcome:
i guess it would depend where in mexico and whether your wanting to retain heifers or not.
how and where do you plan on marketing your calves

Did the same thing a many years back, and tried Gert, Brangus, and Limi bulls.. Best cross was the Limi by far.

salebarn junkie said:
I dont think you have to worry about colar in mexico so i would go gor a red limi or a char bull. If you want replacments any of the crosses with ear would work.[I seel the calfs in the U.S. so color does have an influence on the price so it seems. But what your saying is if I need replacement heifers to add more ear to the crop? Why?/quote]

cross_7":1b70641g said:
charlie beefx":1b70641g said:

i guess it would depend where in mexico and whether your wanting to retain heifers or not.
how and where do you plan on marketing your calves[/quote The ranch is located in north Coahuila the terrain is rough but good cattle forage. My main goal right now is producing cattle for feedlots in the U.S. I"m not looking for any replacements this year. I think right now I can buy pairs from places that are feeling the drought or are overstocked at a fair price.
Do I go with the Charolais for a fancier calf?

SSGenetics":33hro2ly said:
Limomike":33hro2ly said:
Did the same thing a many years back, and tried Gert, Brangus, and Limi bulls.. Best cross was the Limi by far.

Gert and Brangus on Beefmaster cows? Why :???:

Wasnt my idea.. my Grandad had the idea at the time. Brangus didnt last but one year, Gert two years.. its the reason I dislike Gert bulls to this day. Had more aborts/problems and late calves than anytime.
Now I have phased out most of those beefmaster cows (still got a few leftover old ones) but I still like the Limousin bulls on them as well as my red angus. :cboy:

charlie beefx":3lhmco2r said:
cross_7":3lhmco2r said:
charlie beefx":3lhmco2r said:

how and where do you plan on marketing your calves[/quote The ranch is located in north Coahuila the terrain is rough but good cattle forage. My main goal right now is producing cattle for feedlots in the U.S. I"m not looking for any replacements this year. I think right now I can buy pairs from places that are feeling the drought or are overstocked at a fair price.

are you in the sierra madres or more towards the rio grande ?

SSGenetics":1d6m75p4 said:
Limomike":1d6m75p4 said:

Gert and Brangus on Beefmaster cows? Why :???:

You guys think there is an issue or problem with crossing two different brahman derived breeds? (gert, brangus, braford, bm) ...Is the logic to keep the brahman derived breed cowherd purebred and cross only with terminal for market calves, breeding back to same pure breed for replacements?

charlie beefx":2csculvo said:
cross_7":2csculvo said:
charlie beefx":2csculvo said:

To me, you'd get better weaning weights and faster gain overall with a Char or Limi bull, with a "little" edge given to the Charolais, but from what I've read elsewhere, Limi cross gives you less trouble with calving than the Charolais does.

You guys think there is an issue or problem with crossing two different brahman derived breeds? (gert, brangus, braford, bm)
I don't really understand either--why one would want to add any more Brahma to a beefmaster breed that is already about 50% Brahma influence unless it's for heat tolerance and foraging ability.

To me, you'd get better weaning weights and faster gain overall with a Char or Limi bull, with a "little" edge given to the Charolais, but from what I've read elsewhere, Limi cross gives you less trouble with calving than the Charolais does.

You guys think there is an issue or problem with crossing two different brahman derived breeds? (gert, brangus, braford, bm)
I don't really understand either--why one would want to add any more Brahma to a beefmaster breed that is already about 50% Brahma influence unless it's for heat tolerance and foraging ability.[/quote]

There ya go... thats exactly why since he lives in Mexico.

:[/quote]
a bit more more horn and hump too?[/quote]

Sounds a lot like Farmgirl10's butchers

Latest posts