What's with all the calving issues this season?

Help Support CattleToday:

Rosielou":bbx8zx9w said:
Has anyone else had trouble with buzzards? I went by a guy's pasture the other day and half of his field was just loaded with the nasty things. The cows and calves didn't pay any mind at all, just kept grazing and lazing around. Shouldn't there be a problem with half his field covered with them? Coyotes are also really bad this year too. :? But I guess the season's bad for alot of people, we had to pull the first calf in years here, and lost it in the process. Also lost a heifer calf.

Don't count those buzzards out either. Was at a cattle meeting and a women spoke about buzzards taking one of her calves. Maybe the calf was weak, who knows, but the turkey vultures around here are huge and nasty. Anytime I see more than 2 or so flying over new calves and/or afterbirth, I will let off a round from a 12ga into the ground to scare them away. It has worked so far, but if any happen to get real brazen, I would not hesitate to do what needs to be done. It really comes down to any predator that behaves well enough gets to live, but if they step over the line, they will e dealt with accordingly. Bad enough I lost a momma cow this season, I am not about to lose a calf to a predator.

I'd wear out both shoulders and 1/2 doz shotguns if I shot at every buzzard I saw around here. I have one of the few open areas and pond in this section of Nat'l Forest, so they seem to congregate here a lot. See them overhead every single day--year round. Mexican buzzards mostly.

im thinking some of it might be mineral deficiency... i couldnt get enough in mine this past year to satisfy.. they even licked a hole in the ground around the feeder like deer...and i had 4 simmX with retained placenta

3waycross":3j32vaah said:
They come into our cows at night and cause them to stomp all over the calves and it freaks the cows out real bad. They get shot every chance we get. We have had calves injured every year with this tactic and then the coyotes drag them down. We are at a huge boom in Coyote populations and they are killing calves,dogs, and all other livestock all over this part of the country!
The dairy farm that I have been hunting coyotes on has been having that problem. The coyotes come in for the afterbirth and the cow starts spinning around and steps on the calf. The coyotes are also tearing holes in the plastic silage covers. The holes let the rainwater in and ruins it. Since I have thinned them down he says things are much better.

I'm no mountain man but I do shoot at coyotes that I find on the farm (I've only hit a few). My thought is that any coyote that is dumb enough to get within my sight is probably a "bad" coyote, and would be brazen enough to try to get a calf.. I don't discriminate, though- I also shoot at any strange dog that I see on the farm (had better luck hitting these)..

ALACOWMAN":22v709ch said:
im thinking some of it might be mineral deficiency... i couldnt get enough in mine this past year to satisfy.. they even licked a hole in the ground around the feeder like deer...and i had 4 simmX with retained placenta

I wonder the same thing. With the droughty grass and high inputs I wonder if some of us might have slacked off the mineral. We are getting less than optimal hay...ect. I have had only one mispresentation but I have been 7/7 heifers. I know of several guys with larger herds that are having some "dumb calf" issues. The calves just wont suck. We will see how the rest of the season turns out.

Been pretty good here this year for us. (knocking on wood)
Had a set of twins out of a 12 year old cow. Got all 3 in the barn and we are watching them closely. Going to pull the bull calf off her when my milk cow calves so I don't need to get a bum for her this year. The bull is the weaker of the 2 though. Other calf is a heifer.

As for the coyote subject we have had them come within 30 feet of our front door. I have gotten a couple within 150 yards of our house and they have tried to lure my corgis away.
As long as they leave our cattle, dogs and my chickens alone we are fine but go after my animals and the war is on!
Son found 6 of them right outside our front door and he sure loves his .22 mag lever action rifle. Hit 3 of them. They haven't been back.

lost 3 1 was 100 lb plus out of first calf heifer found when I got home from work ended up losing cow also 1 would not nurse and last came backwards
more than I lost in last several years combined

as for coyotes several years ago dad found a cow calving and a coyote trying to get the calf before it was out of the cow now we have 3 pyrennes and don't have any trouble

I lost 2 last year, and I lost one twin this year. This years was a twin, it was the second one, and I didn't suspect a twin since the first one was 110 lbs, but there was a twin when I checked about 30 hours after the first (the cow was MEAN, which didn't make me want to check earlier), butt first with hind legs forward, so after fiddling around in there for some time (1900 lb cow isn't easy to reach in), I hooked on to the calf and got the legs all straightened out, and still had quite a time pulling it. It had several injuries to it, the navel was badly torn so you could see the intestines, the teeth were pretty ripped up, and it had a bit of a tear in the skin on the groin too. It was DOA.. and 110 lbs as well... so she had 220 lbs of calf in her.

As for yotes, they haven't given us much grief.. they haven't even stolen a chicken in about 3 or 4 years, and have never bothered the calves... I do find yote craps in my corrals, but the cows would let me know if there was a problem, I sleep about 100 yards away... they seem to know the difference between cougars and yotes, or black and grizzly bears.. They *really* raise a fuss with a cougar or grizzly around, but don't think much of a black bear.
If the yotes come around in the daytime (when the chickens are out), I'll knock one off and the rest smarten up, I know there's about a dozen of them in the area, but while they behave, I'll let them be relatively in peace... Neighbours dogs on the other hand... well, we have a reputation of being a black hole for fidos. We also have a pair of ravens who clean up afterbirths and hop around the corral, they haven't caused any grief either... the calves usually just end up running after them and having fun.

I'm done calving. But I did lose 8 calves, 1 bred heifer, and had 2 bulls go down.

Isomade":2jitslys said:
I'm done calving. But I did lose 8 calves, 1 bred heifer, and had 2 bulls go down.

I think that qualifies for a fairly bad year! :frowns:

Isomade":229isxac said:

Yikes !

Hopefully this is one for the history books and you will never see another like it again. :(

hillsdown":32lk08ub said:
Isomade":32lk08ub said:

Yikes !

Hopefully this is one for the history books and you will never see another like it again. :(
I'd like to say that now I've seen it all, but as sur as I do....

Isomade":2fbv01uc said:
hillsdown":2fbv01uc said:
Isomade":2fbv01uc said:

Yikes !

I'd like to say that now I've seen it all, but as sur as I do....

Isomade , that is why I am selective about posting about all of my cattle woes don't want to seem a braggart . :hide: :tiphat:

We have plenty of coyotes and they don't bother our cattle at all. Dogs came through once and did, as have the neighbor's dogs til we got
donkeys (and the neighbors are gone now and we are stuck with six sweet jennies).............

Latest posts