What's with all the calving issues this season?

Help Support CattleToday:

robertwhite

Reaction score
Looking at all the separate threads of folks having all kinds of issues with this season's calving and wondering what is going on? I had to pull 2 (lost 1 momma), other local folks I've talked with say this is the first time in years they have had to pull a calf (or 4), folks on the site are pulling calves left and right, finding dead calves, etc.

Is it the way the moon and sun are aligned this year or what? :frowns:

robertwhite":1ycg7iwo said:
Looking at all the separate threads of folks having all kinds of issues with this season's calving and wondering what is going on? I had to pull 2 (lost 1 momma), other local folks I've talked with say this is the first time in years they have had to pull a calf (or 4), folks on the site are pulling calves left and right, finding dead calves, etc.

Either it's a farm life or the people of Black Hereford put a curse on us.....

We have been pretty lucky as far as the regular stuff goes but i do have one real nice bull calf that seems kinda slow and his ears are still swelled from the night he was born!

snake67":1pierzrx said:
We started today - still three feet of snow out there and the coyotes are pretty think - the trail cam picked up about 6 of them less than 100 yards from where the first calf is laying right now.

Hope those issues do not come here

Best to all

Bez

Hopefully, the mommas presence is enough to keep the yotes at bay. I have a whole pack that runs the treeline not 75 yards from my calves. I'm going out at least 3 times a week when they start yelping too close
Going to have to get a rabbit call and go out at dusk and just eradicate them.

Taurus":20h2ea09 said:
Farm life. Just an odd gene had it's way I guess in my case--No way I would have ever thought I'd have a 99 lb calf from that old bull--that and I should have checked her earlier. Didn't have any help as everyone I knew was at church and it took me too long to get her penned so I could help.

Taurus":2t9pxigv said:
robertwhite":2t9pxigv said:

If that's the case in I retract all I said about Black Hereford.. in fact i'm going to be at that black hereford sale, and bid on that $50,000 bull. :lol2: :nod:

RW, I have also noticed there is a lot of discussion about problem calving. I think, first it has a lot to do with what is going on in our lives, the uncertainty.Everything costs more.Second, I think that a lot of these issues are related to the increase of "the issues".Which IMO is caused by deficencys in the soil and feed.

robertwhite":2o922zf1 said:
snake67":2o922zf1 said:
We started today - still three feet of snow out there and the coyotes are pretty think - the trail cam picked up about 6 of them less than 100 yards from where the first calf is laying right now.

Hope those issues do not come here

Best to all

Bez

Hopefully, the mommas presence is enough to keep the yotes at bay. I have a whole pack that runs the treeline not 75 yards from my calves. I'm going out at least 3 times a week when they start yelping too close
Going to have to get a rabbit call and go out at dusk and just eradicate them.

I have lived in the bush all my life.

Got indoor plumbing when I was in my late teens.

Made my first telephone call when I was 16 years old.

I lived on moose and deer until my teens.

I went to a one room school house for the first 8 grades.

I bought my first car with more than 1000 muskrat pelts I caught on my trap line.

I still heat the house 100% with wood.

My place is a true Beverly Hillbillies homestead.

You do not state where you live or what your age is - but without meaning to insult you - you shoot those coyotes you are a bloody fool.

I am betting you have neighbours close by and I am betting you have a paved road within at least a mile or so of your house.

I am betting I know more about wild animals than most on this board.

If the coyotes have not caused you grief by now, the chances are good that they will not ever cause you grief.

You shoot them you make room for new ones to come in to that territory.

Anyone gratutitously shooting coyotes does more harm than good.

Most folks with dead calves in the yard are getting those losses from dogs.

Yeah, your neighbours Beagle will team up to kill a calf before 90% of coyotes will. It is all a calories vs risk thing for the wild dogs.

Lots of townie dogs will travel MILES to go pack up and hunt domestic animals - then go home to sleep.

Best you leave them alone unless you know you have problems with those coyotes - then and only then - kill them all.

Remember this - if you see them feeding on something it does not mean they killed it - never - ever forget that!

Do not shoot - they get smart fast - snare and poison - gets them all in one night.

Do not play the fools game that many here play - leave those wild dogs alone unless you TRULY know the harm they are doing - otherwise you might just be making room for some real bad ones!

Watch out for that dammed Pookie dog - he is your true trouble maker not the wild dog.

My best

Bez

You do not state where you live or what your age is - but without meaning to insult you - you shoot those coyotes you are a bloody fool.

I am betting you have neighbours close by and I am betting you have a paved road within at least a mile or so of your house.

I am betting I know more about wild animals than most on this board.

If the coyotes have not caused you grief by now, the chances are good that they will not ever cause you grief.

Most folks with dead calves in the yard are getting those losses from dogs.

Yeah, your neighbours Beagle will team up to kill a calf before 90% of coyotes will. It is all a calories vs risk thing for the wild dogs.

Lots of townie dogs will travel MILES to go pack up and hunt domestic animals - then go home to sleep.

Best you leave them alone unless you know you have problems with those coyotes - then and only then - kill them all.

Remember this - if you see them feeding on something it does not mean they killed it - never - ever forget that!

Do not shoot - they get smart fast - snare and poison - gets them all in one night.

Do not play the fools game that many here play - leave those wild dogs alone unless you TRULY know the harm they are doing - otherwise you might just be making room for some real bad ones!

Watch out for that dammed Pookie dog - he is your true trouble maker not the wild dog.

My best

Bez

Bez, with all due respect, you are wrong on so many points its not funny. At least in my case.

I don't have neighbors, (closest is 1/3 mile away), I don't have issues with wild dogs, neighbors dogs, etc. I hear the coyotes chasing down prey almost every night. They absolutely run the treeline 75 yards away at least 3 times a week. I have MANY piles of coyote crap in my fields, in my orchard and on my drive and just the other day found 2 piles not 30 yards from my house. I have taken a few that were inside my fence line, and I have even seen them be so brazen as to drink from my stock pond (at dusk) when my cattle are in the other side of a pasture. I live next to a river bottom and there are lots of rabbits and other small prey. I have to stand outside at night when my border collie goes outside as to make sure he doesn't take off after them and then have the tables turned. So don't you dare insult mine or others intelligence by "it's not the coyotes that are the problem". Should myself or others with similar problems wait until we lose calves before addressing the problem? Sorry, but I'm not about to let it get that far. Whether by poison/snare/shooting they will be dealt with if needed. Will other ones come in once these are gone? Don't know, but I will deal with it if it comes to that. I can live in harmony with them IF they respect their bounds, but since they have started getting closer and closer, I will react if they don't stop. Period.

Now that you have successfully derailed the original topic of this thread, all I can do is shake my head in disbelief. :bang:

snake67":158t82n6 said:
robertwhite":158t82n6 said:
snake67":158t82n6 said:
you shoot those coyotes you are a bloody fool.

So these real bad ones.....are they coming from someone else's farm?

I believe ANY dog will at any given time, unless the owner is right there to stop it or has disciplined it not to, and even then, they are prone to "join in". They just can't help doing it--it is their nature.

I have been shooting coyotes off of a dairy farm that has been having issues.....I have killed 6 so far......mysteriously the landowners problems have went away....go figure.

They come into our cows at night and cause them to stomp all over the calves and it freaks the cows out real bad. They get shot every chance we get. We have had calves injured every year with this tactic and then the coyotes drag them down. We are at a huge boom in Coyote populations and they are killing calves,dogs, and all other livestock all over this part of the country!

Luckily I haven't had any problems. I hear them carrying on early in the morning or right around dark but haven't seen any in a long time. Maybe having the Great Pyrenees helps. I have seen her crunch a couple. :!: Historically they've always been pretty cowardly, eating roadkill, catching mice and rabbits and maybe some afterbirth.

Another case of "it depends on where you're at"

No problems caving yet. First one was last week. Yotes don't mess with them here. Not enough yet but they don't live very long either

I know someone who caught the coyotes in act, eating a calf that is still in birth process. It was last expensive meal for that coyote.

I have seen coyotes hunting mice right in the middle of my cows and the cows not paying any attention to them. I have also seen two coyotes working a cow with a brand new calf. One luring the cow away while the other was trying to get the calf. I let good coyotes live. Bad coyotes die. Until one actually attacks I consider them good coyotes.

Has anyone else had trouble with buzzards? I went by a guy's pasture the other day and half of his field was just loaded with the nasty things. The cows and calves didn't pay any mind at all, just kept grazing and lazing around. Shouldn't there be a problem with half his field covered with them? Coyotes are also really bad this year too. :? But I guess the season's bad for alot of people, we had to pull the first calf in years here, and lost it in the process. Also lost a heifer calf.

Latest posts