Whats the health system like in your country?

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":22l2ewq9 said:
I don't drink I don't smoke and I seldom chase women anymore.

Me either CB in fact I quit all my old habits. The only one I can't seem to kick is lying all the time. :p :D

Caustic Burno":23aai1ux said:
Jogeephus":23aai1ux said:
Caustic Burno":23aai1ux said:
Jogeephus":23aai1ux said:
Our system is good but going down hill fast. Too many deadbeats abusing the system, clogging up the ER with hangnails and papercuts. Too many government payment options and redtape that hospitals must hire more and more staff just to figure out how to properly bill. I'm for a simplified national health insurance program. I believe this can work but I'm afraid it won't happend until someone figures out a way to haul all tha hogs off the hill.

I also think vouchers should be used as well as a disqualification clause for those who refuse to comply with doctors orders. People who constantly show up in hospital with blood sugar at 400 should have to pay the consequences for their lifestyle choice.

I see you have issues with diabetics. Being one myself it is extremely hard to control even on medication and the proper diet.

No, Caustic I don't. My wife is a nurse and this came up in a discussion several times hence I made the reference. I am referring to the brittle diabetics who constantly continue a lifestyle which they are warned not to do. Ie, getting drunk passing out then showing up at the emergency room time and time again wanting to be fixed back up so they can do it again. At what point does someone have to take responsibility for their own actions? I think if you talk to anyone who has worked in the ER they will know folks like this - probably by their first name.

One of my best friends is a brittle diabetic and has a continuous pump so I know how hard it is to keep things in check. This is not what I'm talking about. I would just hate to see one day, he - or you for that matter - need the services of the ER and it be jammed up by someone like this or a drug seeker pretending to be sick.

I am not the kind of person who makes light of anyone with any ligitimate illness and will extend every effort possible to help those needing help but I also can't tolerate people abusing the good will or generosity of others or our medical system.

Oh, and I apologize to you or anyone else who might have been offended by my example.

No apologies nessacary I thought you might not understand the disease.
It is a tough disease You have to eat three meals a day of the right portions and have your snacks a piece of fruit or something at the right times. The tough part is paceing your work which will cause you to crash low. I can eat one peice of bread and my blood sugar is in the high 300's. What really bothers me the most is during football season can't break out the grill and make some burgers and chips for the game. Well I can have the burger hold the bun.

Two of my friends had insulin pumps which were faulty. Because of insurance regulations they could not get replacements which I understand are very expensive. The company that made it would not make it right either. Both went round and round with them trying to get some help in getting a replacement. This is just one example of how wrong our profit based insurance system is.

I live about 50-60 miles from the Canadian border-- and anymore anyone that needs the lasar corrective surgery on their eyes goes to Regina...

They have to pay for it-- but it is so much cheaper than any of the US clinics....Not sure if they take US insurance or not-- but I know many of the US insurances won't cover the corrective surgery anyway-- and its getting so there are few folks that have vision coverage insurance with the raising insurance rates.....
I think the last one I talked to said it was $700 an eye (two separate procedures)-- but he now doesn't need the glasses he's worn all his life....

Caustic Burno":3vkd2vmf said:
Jogeephus":3vkd2vmf said:
Caustic Burno":3vkd2vmf said:
Jogeephus":3vkd2vmf said:
Our system is good but going down hill fast. Too many deadbeats abusing the system, clogging up the ER with hangnails and papercuts. Too many government payment options and redtape that hospitals must hire more and more staff just to figure out how to properly bill. I'm for a simplified national health insurance program. I believe this can work but I'm afraid it won't happend until someone figures out a way to haul all tha hogs off the hill.

I also think vouchers should be used as well as a disqualification clause for those who refuse to comply with doctors orders. People who constantly show up in hospital with blood sugar at 400 should have to pay the consequences for their lifestyle choice.

I see you have issues with diabetics. Being one myself it is extremely hard to control even on medication and the proper diet.

No, Caustic I don't. My wife is a nurse and this came up in a discussion several times hence I made the reference. I am referring to the brittle diabetics who constantly continue a lifestyle which they are warned not to do. Ie, getting drunk passing out then showing up at the emergency room time and time again wanting to be fixed back up so they can do it again. At what point does someone have to take responsibility for their own actions? I think if you talk to anyone who has worked in the ER they will know folks like this - probably by their first name.

One of my best friends is a brittle diabetic and has a continuous pump so I know how hard it is to keep things in check. This is not what I'm talking about. I would just hate to see one day, he - or you for that matter - need the services of the ER and it be jammed up by someone like this or a drug seeker pretending to be sick.

I am not the kind of person who makes light of anyone with any ligitimate illness and will extend every effort possible to help those needing help but I also can't tolerate people abusing the good will or generosity of others or our medical system.

Oh, and I apologize to you or anyone else who might have been offended by my example.

No apologies nessacary I thought you might not understand the disease.
It is a tough disease You have to eat three meals a day of the right portions and have your snacks a piece of fruit or something at the right times. The tough part is paceing your work which will cause you to crash low. I can eat one peice of bread and my blood sugar is in the high 300's. What really bothers me the most is during football season can't break out the grill and make some burgers and chips for the game. Well I can have the burger hold the bun.

You need to be on a straight squirrel meat diet. :lol: :lol:

Hey Caustic-- next time the Doc's give you a bad time- take them these two new studies...
What a new healthy lifestyle you could have-- Elderberry and Chokecherry Wine and unlimited Sex for exercise.....
;-) :lol:

-------------------------------------------------

Red, blue, purple produce slows cancer
BOSTON, Aug. 20 (UPI) -- The compounds that give color to most red, purple and blue produce -- anthocyanins -- may slow the growth of colon cancer cells, a U.S. study showed.

Lead author Monica Giusti of Ohio State University tested the anti-cancer effects of anthocyanin-rich extracts from a variety of fruits and vegetables including grapes, radishes, purple corn, chokeberries, bilberries, purple carrots and elderberries.

The researchers found that the amount of anthocyanin extract needed to reduce cancer cell growth by 50 percent varied among the plants -- extract derived from purple corn was the most potent, while chokeberry and bilberry extracts were nearly as potent as purple corn.
Radish, the least potent, took nine times as much of the compound to cut cell growth by 50 percent.

"All fruits and vegetables that are rich in anthocyanins have compounds that can slow down the growth of colon cancer cells, whether in experiments in laboratory dishes or inside the body," Giusti said in a statement.

Giusti and colleagues presented the findings at the national meeting of the American Chemical Society in Boston.

Copyright 2007 by United Press International. All Rights

------------------------------------------------------
Need Another Reason to Have Sex? It's Good for Your Heart, Study Shows ,
August 20, 2007

Need another good reason to have sex?

Well, Irish researchers believe they have one: It's good for your heart, according to a report in Psychology Today.

Researchers from the University of Bristol and Queen's University of Belfast studied 2,500 men ages 45 to 59 for 10 years and found that men who have three or more orgasms a week are 50 percent less likely to die from coronary heart disease.

The findings also suggested that sex can be used to help prevent heart attacks and strokes as a means of fulfilling the recommendation for sustained physical activity for at least 20 minutes, three times a week.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,293778,00.html

Caustic if you decide to run for office and clean out Washington, let me know. I want to vote for you.

Once you get there if you need someone to keep the guns loaded, I'll volunteer for reloading for you too.

Why not":amhg7wge said:
gendronf":amhg7wge said:
In Quebec province, everything is free. If you get cancer, heart attack, or broken arm, ect. it's free. A visit to a doctor, an hospital, it's free. The drugs at the hospital are free but at home cost around 15% ant the 85% by an insurance.

Is it true that say one is having chest pain. Does it take weeks to have and schedule a heart cath or things like mris or cat scans?
My next door neighbour had a heart attack on Saturday. Following Tues (3 days) had angioplasty done, out of the hospital and home by Fri (might have been Thurs, can't remember, happened in June) All of it covered by OHIP, including the helicopter transfer/air ambulance.

The system can and does work...I myself blew out my knee on New Year's eve falling down stairs, was into emerg and out, rads taken etc within 45 min. And quite the lovely pain shot too....!

IMO far and above better than going broke to cover medical care!

Vicky the vet":2egh9ezz said:
IMO far and above better than going broke to cover medical care!

AMEN-- and thats the problem we're seeing down here more and more often...People having to make a choice on treating a loved one and in doing so losing the ranch or business and everything you have- or let them die....

An aquaintance of mine just got thru with all the bone marrow transfer/chemo/radiation for cancer-- and got over a $ million bill to go with it-- that the insurance company, that had preapproved it, is now trying to back out of and leave the entire cost on his family..... :( :mad:

backhoeboogie":2q4gewvt said:
Caustic if you decide to run for office and clean out Washington, let me know. I want to vote for you.

Once you get there if you need someone to keep the guns loaded, I'll volunteer for reloading for you too.

It would definitely take a couple Model 12's and red wagon full of buckshot. We would need a tar truck as well with a few huindred pounds of feathers for those that didn't need killin just run out of town. I bet you couldn't find one congressman or senator not on the take.

In Alberta we do have to pay insurance premiums regardless of how many times you go to the hospital. It is family rate of $88.00/month or a singles rate of $44.00/month. Lower income people can apply to have the rate waived but your income has to be really low to qualify or on welfare. So after paying your insurance premiums all hospital visits and doctors visits are covered. Dental, eyes, homeopathic and drugs are not covered however and people need to purchase additional insurance or have job provided insurance to cover these areas.

The line-ups for health care are insane. AB is a boom province and it is showing in hospitals that have people waiting in the stories that are told. It's not pretty. BUT a lot of the problem is in mismanagement of the money and the fact that the more problems there are the more patients demand the govt. to put into health care so the guys at the top are actually being paid more to be incompetent. Not a good system. Some of it is just the huge growth but only some.

Our small town hospital is wonderful and in the next town we have a clinic that was opened up by South African doctors and I have NEVER experienced health care like they give. They treat you well and solve your problem. I wish all doctors could be like them.

Posted on a seperate thread, but I was in hospital all day yesterday with what turned out to be diverticulitis. I would say that all the staff were kind and understading of my condition, as I was in great pain. But it is very difficult to get pain relief anymore. I had to be there for two hours before I got any morphine. I didn't want to be knocked out, I just wanted to be comfortable for the first time all night. Finally got relief when I was diagnosed.

I know that there are frequent flyers who go to the doctor to get pills, my sister is one of them, (a nurse, go figure). But I always end up feeling like a criminal for wanting to not hurt. Same thing happened to my son two years ago when he had his leg operation. He was in terrible pain afterward, he'd had a bone graft. But because he was 18, no one wanted to believe him. I, as his mother, could look at him and tell he wasn't well. I had to have a hissy to get him some IV pain relief. They wanted to give him a pill which would a) take 30 minutes to work, and b) make him sick because he had nothing on his stomach.

I guess that's what's annoying to me about health care here.

Carlos D.":9oi9ji3n said:
Ours is real good --where I live ,-I phone for a doctors appointment generally get it today or tomorrow--all doctors visits are free -all hospitals are free (gov. pays) so I guess I do in the end ---but I don't have that worry of becomeing bankrupt because of sickness-----My wife has drug plan at work her perscriptions are free ---the rest of the family is covered 85%

carl

Nothing is "free". You still pay for it somehow. Probably in higher taxes. The problem with this method is that you pay for the health care and health choices of others even if you are healthy and do not need the care. The difference in systems is that you pay all of the time whether you use it or not. I pay only when I use the services. I like that better.

Latest posts