Whats the health system like in your country?

Help Support CattleToday:

Australian Cattleman

Reaction score
Tenterfield,New England Region NSW,Australia
I'm a registered nurse that works in an 18 bed rural hospital thats busy most of the time. Most of our presentations to our hospital need not present with all the minor ailments that they do. Many people these days have lost the ability to do simple first aid before they race to the hospital. I have been hit by patients/clients in our ED. I now just call the police if it looks like trouble.The head office of the area Health Service is about 7 hours away from our hospital. Not very satisfactory. Each of our Australian states looks after their own health systems. There have been moves to have the one system nationwide which would be great as the federally run health system in our nation's capital is excellent. We are only ten miles from the state border,the health system is different over there. Next year our nurses registration will one nationwide fee.
We have far too many people that don't have private health insurance in our country. Living out in the country it is essential to have private health insurance because it allows you choice of care if you need to be sent off to a larger centre.
Nursing these days is no longer an enjoyable profession as it used to be because of the continual threat of litigation.
Let me have others views on their health systems etc.
Colin

Ours needs a major overhaul. Just to many hogs at the trough to see it happening. The best thing we could do is vote out every congressman and senator and impose term limits of the next round of elected swine.
You have forgein nationals getting free care and hard working Americans getting none.

Our system is good but going down hill fast. Too many deadbeats abusing the system, clogging up the ER with hangnails and papercuts. Too many government payment options and redtape that hospitals must hire more and more staff just to figure out how to properly bill. I'm for a simplified national health insurance program. I believe this can work but I'm afraid it won't happend until someone figures out a way to haul all tha hogs off the hill.

I also think vouchers should be used as well as a disqualification clause for those who refuse to comply with doctors orders. People who constantly show up in hospital with blood sugar at 400 should have to pay the consequences for their lifestyle choice.

Ours is real good --where I live ,-I phone for a doctors appointment generally get it today or tomorrow--all doctors visits are free -all hospitals are free (gov. pays) so I guess I do in the end ---but I don't have that worry of becomeing bankrupt because of sickness-----My wife has drug plan at work her perscriptions are free ---the rest of the family is covered 85%

carl

Carlos D.":3vcqjv5l said:
Ours is real good --where I live ,-I phone for a doctors appointment generally get it today or tomorrow--all doctors visits are free -all hospitals are free (gov. pays) so I guess I do in the end ---but I don't have that worry of becomeing bankrupt because of sickness-----My wife has drug plan at work her perscriptions are free ---the rest of the family is covered 85%

carl

Does different parts of Canada have different types of health care? Because you are the first one I have ever heard of talk so positive about Canada's health care plan.

I'm not sure about Canada, after all the quads were born here in MT with THE top Dr. with them. Yes I know all about that great man.

The things I have heard from nurses are the paperwork that keeps them from helping patients. When you fill out a form just for every little thing it gets to be stupid.
I agree with Jo and C.B. too many people show up at ER's anymore for something that they can be seen for at a regular Dr. office, but a Dr's office can refuse to see a non paying patient while an ER cannot.
We have personally dealt with insurance companies that would not cover medical expenses. State regulator forced them to pay as the policy said. Also dealt with a medical clinic, after paying the bill was sent and additional $325.00 bill. Fought them on that and won. Clinics excuse, the billing department person typed in the wrong code. We asked them to make sure three times. Were told it was correct.
Pretty sad when you are paying out of pocket to have a baby $6,000.00 that was in 1997 it is now closer to $12,000.00

IMO the health care system in the USA is way out of control and I think a lot of the problem is with the doctors charging too much to support their extravagant lifestyles. Also, the drug & medication costs are outrageous and morally corrupt. The drug companies have high costs for sure to get FDA approval on a drug. However, the costs for "low demand" drugs such as the Aids/HIV, antibiotics, heart medications, etc., can run into thousands of $$ a year for some patients.

Also, the naive, uninformed, often indigent individuals who either are afraid of hospitals & doctors, or afraid they can't pay for treatment, at times will let a minor infection or something escalate into a serious medical emergency and expenses resulting in high ER costs. Then you have the uninformed individuals who resort to dubious home remedies and/or herbal and/or alternative medicine "treatments" only to find that they didn't work and ultimately result in a serious and costly medical condition.

On the positive side, our medical system is very high-tech and the treatment methods are state of the art (also in some other countries). This expensive equipment and care comes at a price. Someone has to pay for quality care to save lives.

On another negative side, insurance premiums for policies from MAJOR insurance providers are out of site. More and more people cannot afford hundreds of $$ per month for their health coverage; and, some of those deductibles can be very high on top of that. More and more insurance companies have more exclusions and pre-existing conditions to not be covered.

On OUR positive side, both my wife and me are military veterans and have VA benefits for our care. We do NOT abuse the system and have regular check-ups (that they request) to function as preventive medicine. Our co-payments are extremely low for everything from prescription meds to surgery. We use an area out-patient facility that is a minor care and "screening" facility for our VA care. If we need more serious care or treatment, they refer us to the VA Hospital. We can get an appointment at the Out-Patient facility usually within 48 hours and their appointments are on schedule and we rarely have to wait over 20-30 minutes to be seen be the doctor or a PA. IF we have an emergency, our local hospital 3 miles away) will see us and they bill the VA for the treatment.

In sum, without our VA benefits we would be dead in the water, so to speak as we could not afford (or want to pay) those expensive private insurance premiums.

Finally, I highly praise the VA Health Care System in the USA. We have been treated well and promptly!

Nice to know the VA hospitals are doing good. I used to hear bad things about them.

We really do need something done about health care here. Insurance premiums are outrageous. Even with insurance what you have to pay out of pocket can be bad also.

Caustic, once we vote everyone out, what do we do then? I mean what would be the answer? We really need to change something, I just don't know what.

Not that long ago companies were able to pay for all or most of the premium cost. In turn more folks had insurance. Medicine was reasonable. What has happened?

The ER in our area are staffed by contract doctors. They do not give a $hit about figuring out what is wrong. Usually a hand full of pills and send you back home.One woman in the area died from a brain anyuserium, after being sent home with a supposedy asthma attack. She was later carried to Dallas and did not make it. Another sent home with pain pills for a headache two days later she was on a care flight to Dallas. Another after hip surgery went in with a lot of pain an X-ray was done every thing looked all right to the ER doctor, He could not take his cell phone from his ear, To busy talking in a language that was not english. The doctor never examined the leg at all or actually see the woman. Long story short woman was on coumdian and had to much in her system and the blood was collecting in the muscle tissue and causing the problem. She was finally admitted, had to have an ambulance for the trip.The emt made the remark that a certian DR. was on duty and whe would get to bottom of it. She did the woman spent a week and half in the hospitful. Our health care is the most expensive in the world but we are number 37 in the word for the quality of our care.

We have the same problem across our country with people no longer wanting to do even the simplest first aid. And God forbid they have to ride out the flu or an allergy.

I see alot of "special" people, too. The doc tells 'em they have gas, and they insist no one else has had pain so severe, it must be something awful. So, then the doc has to order MRIs, ultrasounds, and blood work (which you know are hideously expensive and labor intensive) to protect his hind end.

Disgusting. This country's medical system is going to be bankrupted by "special" people and our own technology.

aplusmnt":3b6eaukr said:
Carlos D.":3b6eaukr said:

carl

Does different parts of Canada have different types of health care? Because you are the first one I have ever heard of talk so positive about Canada's health care plan.
No I think the cities are not nearl as good as where I live (but then thats one of the reasons I don't live in the city---but personaly I don't know anyone who died because of poor health care around here.The health care system is run by the provinces and not the federal Gov.---so yes there are different health care systems

carl

In Quebec province, everything is free. If you get cancer, heart attack, or broken arm, ect. it's free. A visit to a doctor, an hospital, it's free. The drugs at the hospital are free but at home cost around 15% ant the 85% by an insurance.

Caustic Burno":3kdxpwdh said:
Ours needs a major overhaul. Just to many hogs at the trough to see it happening. The best thing we could do is vote out every congressman and senator and impose term limits of the next round of elected swine.
You have forgein nationals getting free care and hard working Americans getting none.

AMEN--Some of those bottom suckers in Congress have lived off the lobby money of the pharmaceutical companies, ambulance chaser lawyers, and Corporates of the world for so long that they don't even remember who they are supposed to be representing ....If we could limit how long they can stay on Capitol Hill, we might get rid of some of that deep entrenchment....
That along with some limits on malpractice law suits- and government negotiated pharmaceutical prices (like Canada) would be starters...

The past 15 years (and especially the last 5) of almost no government oversight over all Corporate greed has definitely put this country in a perilous position...

I live in south central Manitoba Canada. My doctor is in the city becasue the doctors in the country change like the wind changes. We import doctors from all over the world because we do not have enough class room space in manitoba to raise our own doctors. rural hospitals emergency closes regulary becasue the doctors need rest just like the rest of the world does. Our rural doctors work their clinics and then in the hospital at the same time Then they are on call after hours. Two doctors burn out real fast at that pace. We had a good husband wife team. The wife wanted to scale back on on call time to start a family the regional health athourity said no...they left for greener pastures.
Each provice is different. In Alberta the health care has insurance premiums. In Manitoba there are no premiums. The federal government doles out the 'transfer payments' to all the provinces to dish out how they see fit for health care, education, infastructure etc.
there is talk of a two teir system. One that is free and one that if you can afford it you pay for it. So far it's still free. But for how long? Wait times for diagnostics it out of control and thus the push for two teir.
Our healthcare system is in trouble. No one can agree how to fix it. All i know is that it is top heavy.

Jogeephus":2gi9vqn2 said:
Our system is good but going down hill fast. Too many deadbeats abusing the system, clogging up the ER with hangnails and papercuts. Too many government payment options and redtape that hospitals must hire more and more staff just to figure out how to properly bill. I'm for a simplified national health insurance program. I believe this can work but I'm afraid it won't happend until someone figures out a way to haul all tha hogs off the hill.

I also think vouchers should be used as well as a disqualification clause for those who refuse to comply with doctors orders. People who constantly show up in hospital with blood sugar at 400 should have to pay the consequences for their lifestyle choice.

I see you have issues with diabetics. Being one myself it is extremely hard to control even on medication and the proper diet.

Caustic Burno":19lg20iq said:
Jogeephus":19lg20iq said:

I see you have issues with diabetics. Being one myself it is extremely hard to control even on medication and the proper diet.

No, Caustic I don't. My wife is a nurse and this came up in a discussion several times hence I made the reference. I am referring to the brittle diabetics who constantly continue a lifestyle which they are warned not to do. Ie, getting drunk passing out then showing up at the emergency room time and time again wanting to be fixed back up so they can do it again. At what point does someone have to take responsibility for their own actions? I think if you talk to anyone who has worked in the ER they will know folks like this - probably by their first name.

One of my best friends is a brittle diabetic and has a continuous pump so I know how hard it is to keep things in check. This is not what I'm talking about. I would just hate to see one day, he - or you for that matter - need the services of the ER and it be jammed up by someone like this or a drug seeker pretending to be sick.

I am not the kind of person who makes light of anyone with any ligitimate illness and will extend every effort possible to help those needing help but I also can't tolerate people abusing the good will or generosity of others or our medical system.

Oh, and I apologize to you or anyone else who might have been offended by my example.

Ended up one day sitting in the ER waiting to see the Dr. to get my daughters forehead stitched. Waited for around 45 minutes. Other people in the ER showed no sign of needing immediate treatment. Daughter had blood from her head to her toes.

With us unless there is a need for stiches or antibiotics we do not go, unless it is a yearly check up.

hurleyjd we have the same thing and same problems. Yes the quack we have has cost people their lives. We transport our selves or we call in "the Bird" or Mercy Flight.

Jogeephus":wdtspunq said:
Caustic Burno":wdtspunq said:
Jogeephus":wdtspunq said:

No, Caustic I don't. My wife is a nurse and this came up in a discussion several times hence I made the reference. I am referring to the brittle diabetics who constantly continue a lifestyle which they are warned not to do. Ie, getting drunk passing out then showing up at the emergency room time and time again wanting to be fixed back up so they can do it again. At what point does someone have to take responsibility for their own actions? I think if you talk to anyone who has worked in the ER they will know folks like this - probably by their first name.

One of my best friends is a brittle diabetic and has a continuous pump so I know how hard it is to keep things in check. This is not what I'm talking about. I would just hate to see one day, he - or you for that matter - need the services of the ER and it be jammed up by someone like this or a drug seeker pretending to be sick.

I am not the kind of person who makes light of anyone with any ligitimate illness and will extend every effort possible to help those needing help but I also can't tolerate people abusing the good will or generosity of others or our medical system.

Oh, and I apologize to you or anyone else who might have been offended by my example.

No apologies nessacary I thought you might not understand the disease.
I don't drink I don't smoke and I seldom chase women anymore.
It is a tough disease You have to eat three meals a day of the right portions and have your snacks a piece of fruit or something at the right times. The tough part is paceing your work which will cause you to crash low. I can eat one peice of bread and my blood sugar is in the high 300's. What really bothers me the most is during football season can't break out the grill and make some burgers and chips for the game. Well I can have the burger hold the bun.